The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Rangers sign F Brandon Pirri [1 year x $1.1M]

Now what do we do? Missed Hudler and him... 

Mike Richards? 

Offersheet Nichushkin, rakell, Zemgus, rieder...  All 4 I'd love to offer sheet on. Why not get back at Dallas for the hamhuis bs 

Or go after Russell and trade Tanev? 

6 minutes ago, apollo said:

Now what do we do? Missed Hudler and him... 

Mike Richards? 

Offersheet Nichushkin, rakell, Zemgus, rieder...  All 4 I'd love to offer sheet on. Why not get back at Dallas for the hamhuis bs 

Or go after Russell and trade Tanev? 

Watch and wait. Stare into the distance.

19 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Anyone who names their Twitter account after whatever the hell Grimace is, deserves some undue attention.

That being said, what the hell is Grimace anyway? I remember back when McDonald's characters has some kind of significance to food sold there. Mayor McCheese and Sergeant Sloppy (not sure of the hamburger faced cop's name) represented the burgers, as did the dastardly Hamburglar.

The bird with the braids was clearly an ambassador for the McNuggets. The Fry Guys were obviously representative of the Shamrock Shake.

What did Grimace represent? The feeling one had approximately an hour after eating McDonalds?  

Grimace is that thing your face does after you've eaten at McDonalds.

I also wonder what's going to happen now. Maybe JB wasn't going after Hudler and Pirri? Maybe he's working on something bigger? Or maybe the Canucks will stand pat and go into the season with the players they have. Should still be a good, competitive camp.

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

Grimace is that thing your face does after you've eaten at McDonalds.

I also wonder what's going to happen now. Maybe JB wasn't going after Hudler and Pirri? Maybe he's working on something bigger? Or maybe the Canucks will stand pat and go into the season with the players they have. Should still be a good, competitive camp.

Exactly, on all counts. I'm sure Benning was interested and poked around, but if he was really intent on signing them, he would have.

Being a team in transition, going into the season with the roster as it is, is fine. Expectations must be tempered by reality.

One blogger is suggesting that the Rangers are going to trade a top forward now with Pirri and Vesey onboard and are looking for D.

They mentioned Lindholm and Tanev as possibilities.

Not sure if there is any fit as we would need a top pairing D to replace Tanev if we traded him.

Trying to spitball a trade though and it is hard to come up with a realistic one.

To NYR

Tanev

Etem

To Vancouver

Kreider

Klein

Prospect? 

That doesn't seem to make us much better and arguably worse since it is way harder to find a top pairing D than a 2nd line forward.

Or maybe a smaller deal for Sbisa..

Solid signing, the kind of guy AV LOVES in his arsenal.

Odds are he's trade bait before the deadline depending on where the Rags are anyways.  but with the massive amount of youth and futures they've traded over the last 3 years I can see them playing him hard and retaining him for the later

28 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Jim Benning knows what he's doing. He has a long-term plan that involves giving our young guys the opportunity to earn good roles with the team in the near term. I, for one, am happy he didn't sign band-aid guys.

Except that every time he has a mic in front of his face he says he has been working his butt off trying to find a 2nd line LW to shelter Baertschi... and he signed Eriksson which will have the trickle down effect of Virtanen (or another young guy) playing in the AHL.

1 hour ago, Nuckles80 said:

Good! He's earned the chance to have a real solid look and it should be his to lose unless we brought in someone significantly better, and Pirri/Hudler do not qualify as that!

Pierre would have been ok, but definitely on the 3rd line at least to start the season. Happy we passed on Hudler (or that he passed on us)

Hope we get to see Baertschi and Gaunce get some good ice time.  

I would have been interested to see what Pirri might do ..  the problem is , its a big MIGHT .. 

If there is one thing I trust , Its Jim Bennings evaluation of talent .  He must of had his reasons for not signing Pirri or Hudler .

Lets give this man a chance  and see what he's got up his sleeve . 

He may just surprise us 

Archived