The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ryan Lochte charged with false report of robbery by Rio police

oldnews

11 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Yes, and every travellling American will be sick with worry for the their own safety until Ryan Lochte is finally brought to justice 

Image result for strawman

What Americans worry about has nothing to do with the understandable contempt and resentment that much of the rest of the world feels towards the prominent, outspoken and obnoxious element that represent them far too often.   That - not what Americans worry about - is what actually heightens the potential risk/threat to any other American (or person mistaken for an American, something some of us Canadians have experienced - and the change of tone and disposition when people find out you're not American is quite striking actually). 

So the fact that Americans are taking other Americans to task for actions like this is not only a matter of representation, but also could possibly effect the way they are received internationally.

I don't think you understood the point wadr, nor did you answer the simple question of what single thing Lochte has done to make the Brazilians decide not to pursue charges?

You've reversed the onus - onto the Brazilians to make an exception and show special leniency.   Do you have any actual reason why they should do so?  

34 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Image result for strawman

What Americans worry about has nothing to do with the understandable contempt and resentment that much of the rest of the world feels towards the prominent, outspoken and obnoxious element that represent them far too often.   That - not what Americans worry about - is what actually heightens the potential risk/threat to any other American (or person mistaken for an American, something some of us Canadians have experienced - and the change of tone and disposition when people find out you're not American is quite striking actually). 

So the fact that Americans are taking other Americans to task for actions like this is not only a matter of representation, but also could possibly effect the way they are received internationally.

I don't think you understood the point wadr, nor did you answer the simple question of what single thing Lochte has done to make the Brazilians decide not to pursue charges?

You've reversed the onus - onto the Brazilians to make an exception and show special leniency.   Do you have any actual reason why they should do so?  

I certainly hear what you are saying and understand why you might say it. But I just don't believe that Ryan Lochte's stupid behaviour in any way poses any extra threat to other Americans at large in the world. He is a certifiable jerk and represents everything the rest of the world finds objectionable about Americans, but I have a hard time believing that, if he were to return to Rio and go through whatever legal dog and pony show the Brazilians might serve up, the rest of the world would say, "Well, I have new found respect for Americans because Ryan Lochte faced the music and was shamed before the world. And by the way, I now believe that all Americans are safer now." Again, I believe you are placing too much importance on a minor incident.

The easiest way to deal with Lochte is to simply state, "He doesn't represent what it means to be American". Then completely ignore anything he says or does from now on. In the absence of publicity, the public will soon forget about Lochte. That's the worst possible outcome for an attention-whore like Lochte: to be ignored and forgotten.

14 hours ago, oldnews said:

One of the enjoyable things about these Olympics where the Americans were concerned:

Some of the truly classy, likable US athletes took home gold - people like Ashton Eaton, Jack Sock, Maya DiRado...

The worst failures fell to the likes of Serena Williams, Hope Solo, Ryan Lochte....

tru dat

5 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

I certainly hear what you are saying and understand why you might say it. But I just don't believe that Ryan Lochte's stupid behaviour in any way poses any extra threat to other Americans at large in the world. He is a certifiable jerk and represents everything the rest of the world finds objectionable about Americans, but I have a hard time believing that, if he were to return to Rio and go through whatever legal dog and pony show the Brazilians might serve up, the rest of the world would say, "Well, I have new found respect for Americans because Ryan Lochte faced the music and was shamed before the world. And by the way, I now believe that all Americans are safer now." Again, I believe you are placing too much importance on a minor incident.

The easiest way to deal with Lochte is to simply state, "He doesn't represent what it means to be American". Then completely ignore anything he says or does from now on. In the absence of publicity, the public will soon forget about Lochte. That's the worst possible outcome for an attention-whore like Lochte: to be ignored and forgotten.

I plussed you because I agree with parts of your perspective - I just think we're looking at different aspects of this.  I agree to the extent you describe it as petty vandalism, boorish drunken behaviour etc - and that ignoring an attention whore is certainly a reasonable option.

But the reason I don't think it's going to play out the way you see it  - is because the incident loses it's minor implications when it goes beyond drunken vandalism and urinating in public - certainly nothing that noteworthy - to making claims of aggravated, armed robbery, implying that police conducted the alleged crime. 

Serious charges that carry serious criminal implications.  What is the sentence for an incident involving a gun to head and armed robbery in Brazil?

That's what takes it beyond just a drunken misadventure - as well as the subsequent events and story telling to international media.

And the problem is that Lochte, long after sobbering up, has continued to maintain how traumatizing it was for him, sticking to his story.

So there's a natural progression imo:

1) The incident, with Lochte reports as a serious crime against himself and the other swimmers - which he never really retracts.

2)  The Brazilian police follow up on the claims, find them to be false, and lay counter-charges.

3)  Lochte hasn't really done anything to warrant the leniency or pardon you call for.

Until we see that happen, I wouldn't be expecting the Brazilian authorities to make the next move.  The ball is squarely in Lochte's court.

4) If he provides the Brazilian authorities with a reason/motivation - then we might see the soft soap.  I think it probably has to start with Lochte retracting his report/statement to police - as long as that claim remains alive, I think they'll pursue the counter-charges.

Fact was that somebody did point a gun at Lochte and demanded some money.  Without a translator, in a foreign country with reputation of police going rogue and terrible crime, plus he was drunk as hell ... it is what it is.  Everyone is over reacting, US, Brazilian official.  

I read that one other swimmer who was pulled off the plane had to pay like $11,000 US so he could leave Brazil or he'd have to stay there while they go through the court system ... sounds like extortion to me.  Sure Lochte is entitled white guy but it's not as if he killed someone.  Just shut this damn case down already.  Sick and tired of hearing about it.  

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

Interesting concept of "fact". 

Evidence of this?  Or relying on the story of someone that was "drunk as hell" as you put it?

Not exactly grade A journalism but 

Woman Speaks Out After Witnessing Ryan Lochte's Gas Station Incident with Teammates: I Saw a Gun Pulled on the Swimmers

http://www.people.com/people/package/article/0,,20996464_21025334,00.html

Despite the controversy and confusion, some basic details are now the same among the competing stories: There was an altercation at the gas station between the swimmers and locals, a gun was drawn and one or more of the swimmers gave over money.   Much of the rest of what happened – for the moment – remains unclear.

Rio Authorities Lied About Eyewitness Account, Vandalism, All of It

http://www.independentsentinel.com/rio-authorities-lied-about-eyewitness-account-vandalism-all-of-it/

Rio authorities lied about the events in Rio. USA Today investigated and found there is reason to doubt their recounting of the events. In fact, the Rio police chief appears to be a liar. The bathroom wasn’t vandalized and they were held at gunpoint by two out of control guards until they paid up.

Ryan Lochte, Jack Conger, James Feigen and Gunnar Bentz were robbed at gunpoint, or money was extorted, depending on semantics, according to the newspaper’s investigation:

But a narrative of the night’s events – constructed by USA TODAY Sports from witness statements, official investigations, surveillance videos and media reports – supports Lochte’s later account in which he said he thought the swimmers were being robbed when they were approached at a gas station by armed men who flashed badges, pointed guns at them and demanded money.

We now know that the three minutes of missing tape — according to witnesses — showed that the US swimmers were robbed at gunpoint. Calling it extortion at gunpoint makes some happier but it’s hardly different.

apologise for using my language. but:

chuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuupa! 

you thought you were in Bahamas where you can trash without punishment?!

we´re IMPEACHING A PRESIDENT THIS WEEK. who the hell you think you are you little jerk? you think you´re special just because you´re American?

guess what you blondly. NO!

after we take care of our communist scum we gonna take care of you. we might even have some help from Argentina and Paraguay ;)

you know. they also need join the party too ;)

• 2 weeks later...
On 2016-08-27 at 7:08 AM, aeromotacanucks said:

apologise for using my language. but:

chuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuupa! 

you thought you were in Bahamas where you can trash without punishment?!

we´re IMPEACHING A PRESIDENT THIS WEEK. who the hell you think you are you little jerk? you think you´re special just because you´re American?

guess what you blondly. NO!

after we take care of our communist scum we gonna take care of you. we might even have some help from Argentina and Paraguay ;)

you know. they also need join the party too ;)

I just want you to understand that your reaction makes you part of the problem, not a solution.

You are condemning a man for "trash talking".  And, in doing so, you are completely trash talking him?  Why should a double standard be applied?  If you want others to not speak poorly of your country, you have to set that same bar for yourself.  Or it's completely hypocritical.

"little jerk" 

You can't expect and demand respect for YOUR country while having such hostility as part of that.

Be the change you want to see happen in this world.  Lead by example.  Etc.

I like you, but am honestly tired of the volatile nature of your argument.  It's ok to feel hurt or even anger.  It's not ok to react in an abusive way because then you're as bad as he is.  Rise above it rather than call for someone's head.  It's overkill now.

21 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I just want you to understand that your reaction makes you part of the problem, not a solution.

You are condemning a man for "trash talking".  And, in doing so, you are completely trash talking him?  Why should a double standard be applied?  If you want others to not speak poorly of your country, you have to set that same bar for yourself.  Or it's completely hypocritical.

"little jerk" 

You can't expect and demand respect for YOUR country while having such hostility as part of that.

Be the change you want to see happen in this world.  Lead by example.  Etc.

I like you, but am honestly tired of the volatile nature of your argument.  It's ok to feel hurt or even anger.  It's not ok to react in an abusive way because then you're as bad as he is.  Rise above it rather than call for someone's head.  It's overkill now.

Latin Americans in general are hostile when we want to...

and it´s not just the Brazilians who are angry with this guy. 

Argentinians, Paraguayans, Uruguayans and even Colombians are angry. Venezuela doesn´t count because with the way things are going there will be no Venezuela in 2017...

the Argentinian media bashed this douchebag even more than the Brazilian media. but CNN doesn´t show that...

The event was good because for the 1st time in history SOUTH AMERICANS saw the event without having to cross half the world to see it. Argentinians, Uruguayans and Paraguayans even came to the the event by car or bus...

we impeached a president just 1 week ago. the Paraolympic will be opened by a new president, things are still turbulent here with some eventual clashes etc but it´s changing.

we had balls to change it. Europe is flooding with terrorism, people complain about Obama in USA yet don´t impeach him.

we just did. Dilma was corrupt and we removed her. sure we could have a military intervention but heck. it´s my country and we deal with it on our way...

the people from Israel enjoyed the event. mayb because the HUGE Jewish comunity in Brazil made them feel at home, the Asians felt nicely here. the 2nd largest Japanese population is located in Brazil. the 1st one obviously is in Japan...

We´re volatile but we change things when needed. it´s called "passion"...

when this US swimer did that stupid thing guess WHO said "smash him"?

Argentina...

yeah. Argentina. and my state border Argentina. all across the other side Argentinians were saying "make that idiot pay"

the 3rd to do the same? Paraguay

after them? Uruguay, Colombia, Chile...

even people from ISRAEL supported our "volatile" way. I had tons of Israelis invading my Facebook to say "make the American trash pay for his arrogance"

sure I might bad as he is. sure...

BUT he did a crime on my country during a turbulent time (Presidential Impeachment) and the Brazilian people werent´so patient with mistakes because the plate was boiling...

I didn´t comited any crime on his country. he did on mine...

lie to a police officer maybe isn´t ofensive in USA, but in Brazil is...

We impeached a president for the same reason. this "Murican" can also face punishment... 

honestly after the transition things will change. these 4 idiots are nothing compared to the duty we have to rebuild a nation. they´re 4....

we are a country with a rebuilding economy and tons of new sets. China will invest US$ 50 billion here in 6 months. we´re introducing GM Mosquitos to fight the Zika and it´s working...

also. the new guy in charge isn´t passive. US companies will have a choice. sponsor these 4 or lose a market on a continental country. European companies as well the asian companies are looking for this...

we all know what´s happening...

Archived