The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Things that annoy you.

Rate this topic

numb3r 16

3 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Spent the last five days relaxing hard on Hornby, only to have all my mellow harshed by that &^@#ing drive home.

We shouldn't have left.

The wife and kids aren't fond of the idea of cashing out on our house in Victoria to live mortgage free on Hornby.

Trust me, dude, you're preaching to the choir about the island road network. What they've been doing vis-a-vis traffic lights is total short-sighted bull$&!#. The multiple lights in Duncan (especially the new one at the Canadian Tire entrance - more superfluous interruptions were clearly required there) and the new one on the south side of Ladysmith at the Husky just further bull$&!# up the already slowing commute as the island becomes more congested. Time for more pedestrian overpasses and people having to plan their trip a little better with turnarounds instead of left hand turns across traffic, otherwise a 5 hour trip from Vic to Parksville ain't too far away.

• Cheers 1
10 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Spent the last five days relaxing hard on Hornby, only to have all my mellow harshed by that &^@#ing drive home.

We shouldn't have left.

The wife and kids aren't fond of the idea of cashing out on our house in Victoria to live mortgage free on Hornby.

Also, island life rocks no matter which one it is, but you do have to give up some things which, while they aren't important per se, they are appreciated. Access to a good butcher shop, a killer produce selection, ethnic foods etc etc etc all tend to decrease linearly the further from a city one locates his self.

• Cheers 1
9 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Also, island life rocks no matter which one it is, but you do have to give up some things which, while they aren't important per se, they are appreciated. Access to a good butcher shop, a killer produce selection, ethnic foods etc etc etc all tend to decrease linearly the further from a city one locates his self.

True dat.

29 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Truth. Nestle won't be tapping Gulf Island water any time soon either.

Maybe I could open a butchery called - The Vegan Butcher - "We cut meat and kill vegans"

On 2018-08-29 at 8:36 PM, luckylager said:

We shouldn't have left.

I’ve actually never been to Hornby but I hear it’s a madhouse in the summer.  I couldn’t handle that.  Add that to the ferries and really, I can’t be bothered to take the fam there.

1 hour ago, riffraff said:

I’ve actually never been to Hornby but I hear it’s a madhouse in the summer.  I couldn’t handle that.  Add that to the ferries and really, I can’t be bothered to take the fam there.

We always go May long weekend and / or the end of August. It wasn't busy this week.

Great place, you should check it out

I got these weird spots appearing all over my living room.  It's on the walls, the tv, the floor and my screen door.  I tried google and it doesn't appear to be mold, maybe grease spots?  It looks like tree sap, and it happened over this past weekend.  Not sure what to do, guess I'll try cleaning the walls first and see if that cleans it but if it comes back who do you call for someone like this?  Anyone else ever had this problem?

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

I got these weird spots appearing all over my living room.  It's on the walls, the tv, the floor and my screen door.  I tried google and it doesn't appear to be mold, maybe grease spots?  It looks like tree sap, and it happened over this past weekend.  Not sure what to do, guess I'll try cleaning the walls first and see if that cleans it but if it comes back who do you call for someone like this?  Anyone else ever had this problem?

are there voices telling you to get out? 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Haha 1
On ‎2018‎-‎08‎-‎29 at 8:36 PM, luckylager said:

We shouldn't have left.

my grand mother lived there (Scottish) shortly after the 1st ww of which my grand father served and survived vimy ridge , his family lived in  edmonton my brother and sister and I never did find out how he met her , but he took her from there and they married in stewart bc , he had a horse pack train company up until roads were built ,then he bought trucks , I've been to Hornby twice , my dad and I found what was left of her familys home stead ,its on a hippys property.  they were nice though. I kinda liked denman more. 

• Cheers 1
21 minutes ago, chon derry said:

my grand mother lived there (Scottish) shortly after the 1st ww of which my grand father served and survived vimy ridge , his family lived in  edmonton my brother and sister and I never did find out how he met her , but he took her from there and they married in stewart bc , he had a horse pack train company up until roads were built ,then he bought trucks , I've been to Hornby twice , my dad and I found what was left of her familys home stead ,its on a hippys property.  they were nice though. I kinda liked denman more. 

Whoa. Hornby in the early 1900's eh.. And I thought the place was small and slow now!

Denman's fine for a couple days, but gets super boring pretty quickly. Better beaches, hiking, biking and eats on Hornby though.

2 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Whoa. Hornby in the early 1900's eh.. And I thought the place was small and slow now!

Denman's fine for a couple days, but gets super boring pretty quickly. Better beaches, hiking, biking and eats on Hornby though.

I guess my grand mother was free spirited , back in the day, post ww1 hippy. lol. she lived up until 74 in high rise apt 1 street behind davie street , I was 14 I stayed with her for a month ,fell in love with downtown Vancouver , to this day I would do what she did , if I won the lottery , my dads older brother was loaded ,I remember my dad tellin him to step up , so he did , got her a really nice condo , of course he prolly made out like a thief with the price after she passed away.

• Cheers 1

Wasps

What's their problem anyways? 

As my summer vacation project I decided to rebuild my greenhouse "on the fly". 

Well the local wasps sure find it interesting, pricks. Buzzing around, sniffing it out all "whatcha doing whatcha doing? Buzzbuzz. I'm gonna keep landing on your hand as you prop that post because I noticed you have a drill in your other hand. How'd you preset those screws?

Wasps. Ugh

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
9 hours ago, luckylager said:

Wasps

What's their problem anyways? 

As my summer vacation project I decided to rebuild my greenhouse "on the fly". 

Well the local wasps sure find it interesting, pricks. Buzzing around, sniffing it out all "whatcha doing whatcha doing? Buzzbuzz. I'm gonna keep landing on your hand as you prop that post because I noticed you have a drill in your other hand. How'd you preset those screws?

Wasps. Ugh

We had a wasp nest at my childhood home one year. My younger sister kept throwing rocks at them and got stung 4 times in a day.

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 8:44 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

are there voices telling you to get out? 

If they were I'd ask what is their origin and how do I get rid of them.  I guess I'll have to call my insurance rep. to see if this is a mold issue, yikes.

2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

If they were I'd ask what is their origin and how do I get rid of them.  I guess I'll have to call my insurance rep. to see if this is a mold issue, yikes.

sorry I shouldn't joke about this, it does sound kind of weird. It could just be bad insulation leading to hot and cold spots so there might be some dirt build up that way. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

sorry I shouldn't joke about this, it does sound kind of weird. It could just be bad insulation leading to hot and cold spots so there might be some dirt build up that way. 

No worries.  Best case scenario it's just grease spots from too much cooking smoke, worst case I live in a contaminated mold infested crackshack. 

• 2 weeks later...