The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stephen Harper Resigns as MP

Ossi Vaananen

Article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/harper-quits-seat-1.3736732

Former prime minister Stephen Harper will resign today as a member of Parliament, The Canadian Press has learned.

Harper is expected to issue a statement later this morning, 10 months after he lost the federal election and stepped down as Conservative party leader.

"We put everything on the table, we gave everything we have to give, and we have no regrets whatsoever," he told supporters on election night.

"Friends, how could we? We remain citizens of the best country on Earth."

But the 57-year-old had chosen to stay on as an MP for his riding of Calgary-Heritage and routinely showed up for votes in the House of Commons over the last few months.

Harper was first elected as a Reform MP in 1993 and would go on to become the first leader of the modern day Conservative Party in 2003.

Move into consulting 

Harper will now make a move into consulting on international issues alongside two of his most trusted former advisers.

The trio are listed as directors on a corporation first set up in December called Harper and Associates Consulting.

Harper's decision to keep his seat followed the precedent set by his predecessor.

When Liberal prime minister Paul Martin lost to Harper in 2006, Martin remained an MP until the Commons' was dissolved for the 2008 election.

To resign from the House of Commons, an MP must submit a letter to the Speaker.

Harper is also expected to send out a statement and video message on his social media channels.

The last time he spoke to supporters was in May at the party's convention.

"We have a proud record, but the past is no place to linger," Harper said.

"Now is the time to look forward. Our party's journey is only beginning."

The party will choose a new leader next May.

I wasn't a big fan of his back door politics, but I will admit he kept Canada a float while the rest of the Western world tanked in 2008. 

He's headed to consulting, where I'm sure the real money is. 

20 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I wasn't a big fan of his back door politics, but I will admit he kept Canada a float while the rest of the Western world tanked in 2008. 

People often attribute the banking regulations as one of the finer points of Harper's government. Even Harper has taken credit for it, but he had nothing to do with it, unfortunately. The regulations were set during Paul Martin's government.

https://www.ucalgary.ca/utoday/issue/2013-11-07/former-bank-canada-governor-weighs-canadian-economy

When the global recession struck in 2008-09, we in Canada were fairly insulated from the worst of the economic woes, thanks in large part to the sturdy backbone of our banking system.

This is a fact that David Dodge can be proud of.

The maverick Canadian economist – who will be receiving an honorary degree from the University of Calgary on Nov. 12, as part of the Faculty of Arts’ Convocation ceremonies – served as the Governor of the Bank of Canada from 2001 to 2008. Prior to that, he was deputy minister of finance from 1992 to 1997, working closely with then finance minister Paul Martin to balance Canada’s federal deficit, which was at the time rather bloated.

Certainly Dodge – an Officer of the Order of Canada and a fellow of the Royal Society of Canada – played a leading role in creating the strong banking system that spared this country the full brunt of the international economic devastation experienced five years ago.

But he’s reluctant to accept such kudos. “No individual is instrumental in the public sector,” Dodge says in a phone interview from the Ottawa office of his law firm Bennett Jones LLP, where he advises clients on national and international economic developments. “You work as a team, both with the elected officials and public services.

“I did work really closely with Mr. Martin, and we worked hard to stabilize Canada’s financial situation, which, by 1990, was really heading into dangerous territory. But, in my view, there’s a lot of credit to go around for the strength we had in Canada in 2008, at the beginning of the Great Recession in the United States.”

However, Dodge stresses, there’s still a “bumpy road” ahead for Canada’s economy.

“The road to recovery is going to be much longer than what we’ve been used to in other post-war recoveries,” says Dodge. “The manufacturing and global service part of our economy has not kept pace with our American competition. So we’ve got to come to grips with our productivity issues.

“And, in big chunks of our economy we have large structural adjustments that need to be made. It will be grim if we don’t control some of the cost problems we’re facing in both the resource and non-resource industries.”

As for his honourary degree from the University of Calgary, that’s the kind of acknowledgement that sits best with Dodge. After all, he began his storied career as an economics professor at Queen’s University (where he is currently chancellor). It will be a particular honour, he says, to receive the degree from the hand of University of Calgary Chancellor Jim Dinning.

“I’ve worked with him, and he was actually a student of mine, back in the Dark Ages,” jokes Dodge.

He adds: “In the last 10 years the University of Calgary has made huge strides, so this is great for me. I’m really pleased.”

A reception, hosted by the Faculty of Arts, will be held for David Dodge on Nov. 12 at 4 p.m. at MacEwan Hall B (ground floor) at the University of Calgary. Please email Rachelle Paddington at eventhon@ucalgary.ca to RSVP. 

1 hour ago, gerry35 said:

He wasn't perfect (no one is) but he was the best PM we have had in a long time, a much better man than the current occupant. 

Based on what?

Today it was announced there is over 45,000 lawsuits in court against the federal government with almost all of them being launched in the last 10 years.

Best PM?  Come on man really?  This venal self serving wretch is the reason Conservative politics died in Canada and the reason myself and so many more left the party

40 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Not a fan of daddy's boy either but Harper was ruining Canada

Fixed. Him along with our current provincial inmate is just selling Canada and BC to corporate giants to exploit our resources without Canada getting the lion's share of the profit. Instead of trying to broaden our economy, encourage our own businesses, and strengthen our crumbling infrastructure. He starts shipbuilding projects for the military yet, doesn't provide resources to the existing troops, and support systems, and our brave vets. We're a 19th century economy in a 21st century world. 

21 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Fixed. Him along with our current provincial inmate is just selling Canada and BC to corporate giants to exploit our resources without Canada getting the lion's share of the profit. Instead of trying to broaden our economy, encourage our own businesses, and strengthen our crumbling infrastructure. He starts shipbuilding projects for the military yet, doesn't provide resources to the existing troops, and support systems, and our brave vets. We're a 19th century economy in a 21st century world. 

This along with changing us from a globally peaceful nation to a more Americanized one 

I voted Harper in and I voted him out. Harper's first few years in office were some of the best any Canadian PM has had - the real problem came in the final two years. We turned from a peacekeeping nation to one that was actively engaging in conflict, he backed out of the Kyoto Protocol after talking big, he started giving up on aspects of daily freedom through acts like Bill C-51, he started screwing over our military and he pissed off a lot of people. 

Trudeau has his flaws, but he has done well so far with what he was given. People judging him over less than a year in office while he is still dealing with the mess Harper left him are simply blind Conservatives that would rather treat politics like sport teams than actually see what is best for Canada.

I appreciate most of what Harper did for Canada as a whole but he was ousted from office at the right time. I hope Trudeau can carry out his mandate appropriately - but if he doesn't, I'll vote him out too.

So did he just serve as a mp after he lost the federal election just to triple dip his pension?  Not that I have any knowledge on the subject other than the fact I want to throw my remote at my tv whenever they discuss how much MP's get when they retire or get ousted.

4 hours ago, gerry35 said:

He wasn't perfect (no one is) but he was the best PM we have had in a long time, a much better man than the current occupant. 

Writing off Trudeau after 9 months? Usually Presidents/Prime Ministers etc need more than 9 months to address major changes that are major impacts. 

4 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I see this has already been covered but no, he really didn't. How that fairy tale still persists is a bit mind boggling.

As for his 'consulting', that's a nice name for 'collecting cheques for all the back room favours he did selling off Canada for pennies on the dollar when in power'.

4 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Yeah, cuz' oil trading at $150 a barrel had nothing to do with it...

Canada kept itself afloat. The laws we have regarding banks, lending, & leveraging is what protected our economy from the brunt of the impact, & a very strong natural resource sector kept it chugging along while others floundered. 

The only real positive change that Harper made was increasing the age of sexual consent from 14 to 16.

Archived