The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Edmonton signs D Matt Benning [2 year ELC]

MJDDawg

4 hours ago, alfstonker said:

For goodness sake, we have a high level scout qualified, GM leading us, not a family liaison and Christmas party organiser. 

Did it ever occur to you JB might not want to put pressure on the boy or that he may feel he is well covered in that area?

Even so, it's still equal parts funny and embarrassing. 

If you ended up reading the rest of the thread, I talked more about it.

9 hours ago, coastal.view said:

i don't know why everyone thinks it is a big deal that benning could not sign his nephew

i would prefer to not work for any of my uncles

i'd rather work for someone else if all other things are equal

maybe his nephew feels the same way

working for family is not such a great thing in my view

This. The biggest obstacle being the perceived favoritism. People around here latched on to the Vey/Willie relationship because they had a short history together in junior. Imagine if they were actually related. If I were Benning I wouldn't even want him. I'd rather avoid an awkward family reunion, once the high probability of this kid not making the team starts to settle in. 

9 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

I may have said "lines", but you know that I meant the back-end pairings.  I read the article just fine.

I think that Edmonton was a poor choice since they are going to attract stronger players over the next 2 years that he's most likely going to be in the AHL.  If I were in his shoes and had to pick between the two teams, I would have chosen Vancouver.  He would have a better chance.

How would I know you were referring to "pairings" when you clearly said 'roll 4 lines'.  Did you mean roll 4 pairings?  I think you mistook him for a forward.

In any event,  Edmonton's depth on the right side is nowhere near what Vancouver has, so your opinion that he'd have a better chance here is based on some pretty weak non-reality - the hypothesis that they'll add a bunch in the next few years.   The reality is that he'd be competing with 4 or 5 guys here that probably have a leg up on him, so his chances in the real world are better in Edmonton.

Moreover, Vancouver has a pair of shutdown RHD in Tanev and Gudbranson - he doesn't exactly fit the bill of what they're looking to add - but still a decent prospect imo.

But really, I think you're just being a bit dramatic with the 'omg, how embarrassing that JB didn't sign his nephew' thing. 

10 minutes ago, oldnews said:

How would I know you were referring to "pairings" when you clearly said 'roll 4 lines'.  Did you mean roll 4 pairings?  I think you mistook him for a forward.

In any event,  Edmonton's depth on the right side is nowhere near what Vancouver has, so your opinion that he'd have a better chance here is based on some pretty weak non-reality - the hypothesis that they'll add a bunch in the next few years.   The reality is that he'd be competing with 4 or 5 guys here that probably have a leg up on him, so his chances in the real world are better in Edmonton.

Moreover, Vancouver has a pair of shutdown RHD in Tanev and Gudbranson - he doesn't exactly fit the bill of what they're looking to add - but still a decent prospect imo.

I read the article.  I may not know a thing about him since I never saw him play a live game, but I did plainly read that he was a defenceman.

By saying that teams roll 4 lines, I meant that even as a bottom pairing d-man, he will likely see a good amount of time since he'd be mostly paired with the 3rd and 4th lines when they are out skating against another team's 3rd and 4th lines.

Part of the problem that the Sabres had last season was that they were rolling with their top 4 d-men during games and Bylsma even recently said that it was unnecessary to do that since it was just tiring for the top pairing, especially Ristolainen.

I think that the NHL is going to become more situational in the future with defencemen and start to rest their top 4 more often than they do now.

As to the rest of your post, I'll have to take your word on it.  I watch only about 25-30 Canucks games per season so anybody here who watches most/all has a better familiarity of the lesser depth players.

16 hours ago, Quantum said:

Signing with Edmonton was a smart call on Matthew Benning's call. Not only does he vault pretty high on the depth chart but he signs with his hometown team. He likely gets NHL games with Edmonton, whereas he'd be in a dogfight with Stecher, Subban, and Biega to even get a taste of NHL action this season with Vancouver. 

Matthew also avoids the nepotism of having been signed by his Uncle by not signing with Vancouver. 

If anything, this article shows how organizationally weak the Oilers are and still how far ahead the Canucks are as an organization with workable depth. Sure, we don't have the elite talent that Edmonton does but we also don't have to put so many hopes and prayers into a former 6th round NCAA player coming in with hopes that he can help shore up the bottom pair of their d corps by seasons end either. (Though it's not explicitly stated, I feel like there is an implication).

The only College UFA I'm disappointed we didn't get this off season is Drake Caggiula because I think he would have been a great fit on this team. Vesey was always a pipedream.

Well said, makes sense for him and his career "short term opportunity" wise but at the same time, I am surprised he didn't learn from Schultz's mistake.

Had Schultz signed with us (and granted he now has a cup ring but wasn't really a key cog and is lucky to have a lifeline on his career), his development path while slower may have helped develop him into a much better player and thus over the long term allow him to make more money. Sure he signed that first big contract, but now he's swimming upstream because of his lack of proper development (and at his age he's kind of going to be a 'what you see is what you get player') most likely. As a result, he likely won't make the type of money he 'could' have, had he been developed properly. He'll go from 2-2.5 mil contracts his whole career vs what reaching what his skillset and potential seemed to imply coming out of college. Is that development or simply he wasn't as good as people thought? Given what I've seen, I think it was poor development in Edmonton.

I understand the draw of playing with McDavid and that young team, however, one thing they have shown over the years, is a distinct inability to properly develop their defenseman. While there is a new regime there, I really don't see this as a wise long term decision for Benning. Edmonton, in my view is a young defenseman graveyard, and until they prove me wrong, I won't believe otherwise!

Great comments though, I agree what you suggested is likely his thought process, I wonder if he even thought about Schultz, or if Uncle Jimbo reminded him of that!

As I thought about this post, it should also be a warning to all those 'team tankers' out there - Shultz is an example of what happens to young players when you don't have a solid core of veterans to shoulder the heavy lifting in their early days. In fact, the point on the defensive graveyard, or ''goalie graveyard" as Vancouver used to be know in my younger days when we sucked in a major way, are examples of why we need to not ever try and 'tank'. You can draft and sign terrific players only to bust them if "tanking" is your strategy.

7 minutes ago, on the cycle said:

meh, have more than enough projected third pairing guys.

Yes no loss, I just find Benning's decision interesting, made the same decision as Schultz and look how that turned out. And given his uncle is our GM even more odd!

13 hours ago, combover said:

Couldn't be the environment benning/ownership have created here over the past two seasons. Turmoil is s tough sell.

Turmoil? You mean the shrieking press corps and the panicking internet boards they create? That's all fluff and means nothing other than generating some clicks for intellectually lazy "sports journalism sites". This management team seems pretty low-key and focused to me. Laid out the plan on day one, and are sticking to it. The players seem to be onboard and I don't see any actual evidence supporting a toxic environment here. Just blown-up rumours and active imaginations.

Unless you think Kes is coming back?

8 hours ago, Lulover88 said:

Living in Edmonton is a tough sell.  

Apparently not as tough as playing in vancouver These days. 

Horrible ownership puppet management mistreatment of players back to when Louie was here, yeah no surprise  players aren't lining up. 

18 hours ago, SedinMadness said:

lol benning couldn't even land his own nephew... fire his ass!

10 minutes ago, combover said:

Apparently not as tough as playing in vancouver These days. 

Horrible ownership puppet management mistreatment of players back to when Louie was here, yeah no surprise  players aren't lining up. 

Image result for rabble rabble

10 minutes ago, X-PatLostInEdm said:

Turmoil? You mean the shrieking press corps and the panicking internet boards they create? That's all fluff and means nothing other than generating some clicks for intellectually lazy "sports journalism sites". This management team seems pretty low-key and focused to me. Laid out the plan on day one, and are sticking to it. The players seem to be onboard and I don't see any actual evidence supporting a toxic environment here. Just blown-up rumours and active imaginations.

Unless you think Kes is coming back?

Where there's smoke there's fire it's be reported numerous times back to when gillis was forced to hire torts that ownership was pulling the string.if you choose to believe every is rosy that's fine but  the proof is ufas don't sign here. Mistreated vrbata mistreated Louie mistreated Higgins ect.... it's a growing list. These guys talk to each I highly doubt any Canucks from the past five years have anything nice to say about ownership or management. Turmoil is when management wants to rebuild ownership wants this to be a "competitive" fringe playoff team for revenue purposes (and this team is neither) . So whether you choose to believe not one not two but every single  paid professional sports writer out there this team is going nowhere and is in fact in turmoil. Players agents read it players read it neither want anything to do with it. 

4 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Even so, it's still equal parts funny and embarrassing. 

If you ended up reading the rest of the thread, I talked more about it.

Why is it embarrassing he signed with a team that is more likely to play him in the NHL sooner?

20 hours ago, shadowgoon said:

Seems to be a common theme this off season. Canucks interested in X player, player shortly after signs with a club rival. The only instance where this wasn't the case, was Eriksson, as we likely paid more in dollars and term over what everyone else was willing to pay.

Personally, we have tons of depth right now, and we need to ensure that we don't saturate our ranks with too much in order to let those already here have a chance to shine. So long as we add depth each year, we'll be good for the future.

Don't forget.....

Player "X" seen being wined and dined at some upscale restaurant by Aquilini's,  Lindenning and a surprise cameo visit by Mayor Gregor to act as "The Closer".

I'm curious as to which of the group is always the deal killer

Archived