The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New iPhone

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/apple-new-iphone-1.3739900

Apple didn't provide any details, in keeping with its usual practice, but it traditionally announces one or two new iPhone models at its annual September event. Apple may also show new models or features for other products like the Apple Watch or Macbook computer.

The Cupertino, Calif., company sold more than 214 million iPhones over the last 12 months. But sales are down from a year ago, and analysts will be watching closely to see what changes Apple has made in the newest models.

This means anyone with an iPhone5 will soon have an obsolete piece of trash that cannot be updated, forcing you to buy new hardware.  It's the Apple way.  I hope Jobs is being forced to choose a pineapple.

33 minutes ago, Raymond Luxury Yacht said:

This means anyone with an iPhone5 will soon have an obsolete piece of trash that cannot be updated, forcing you to buy new hardware.  It's the Apple way.  I hope Jobs is being forced to choose a pineapple.

Jobs died a few years ago, when iPhones were still good...

32 minutes ago, Raymond Luxury Yacht said:

Honestly, with the lack of quality that consumer devices are manufactured these days, I wouldn't want to keep anything more than 1 or 2 generations old anyway.

This is also the price of progress. It's what held back Windows for so many years from becoming a better operating system; business level backwards compatibility. Business itself also needs to be way WAY less change averse.

If we as a society want to get out of this rut we've been in since the industrial revolution, we need to get a lot more comfortable with change.

But who am I to say? This is CDC, let's go with "evil corporation does things to make us spend money".

1 minute ago, Harvey Spector said:

Yes, my Iphone 6s plus is awesome.  ::D

People still use an Iphone 5?  Couldn't you just upgrade to an Iphone 6 for free?

Also, Jobs has been dead for years.  Tim Cook is running the show...

lol, I just got an iPhone 6 (upgrading from an iPhone 5s) for free, and it came with a $100 giftcard. Two year contract, but I'll just buy out of it in a year when the iPhone 10th anniversary edition comes out.

1 minute ago, GLASSJAW said:

lol, I just got an iPhone 6 (upgrading from an iPhone 5s) for free, and it came with a $100 giftcard. Two year contract, but I'll just buy out of it in a year when the iPhone 10th anniversary edition comes out.

Cool.  Yeah with 2 year contracts now there is no reason why anyone would need to keep a smart phone that is older than 2 years.  You can simply renew your contract and upgrade for free.  You can also sell your 2 year old device on Craigslist and take the cash to buy the newest model versus getting last year's model for free.  I do that all the time.  I remember selling my Iphone 6 for $450 and then flipping that into my Iphone 6s plus.  It cost me a bit more becuause I got the plus model, but for me and my business the plus model is perfect.

the iPhone next week -- all rumours and leaks suggest -- will not be anything special. And from what I've read there will not be an iPhone 7s next year. They will just go directly to a "special" iPhone 10th anniversary phone.

Everything is pure speculation, but every single rumour suggests this iPhone 7 won't be anything great or revolutionary, but that Apple is planning for a big 2018. I have read elsewhere that it's 2017, but who knows.

Here's an article from Forbes about that: 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/2016/08/29/when-is-apple-launching-the-iphone-7/#1cf2bf72e683

Much of the technology that could cause excitement and drive the iPhone forward is not expected to be seen until the tenth anniversary iPhone that will be released in 2018. Touches like a curved screen, OLED displays, and an all-glass chassis to go with the front and back covers will have to wait.

There's a new MacBook model coming as well, but there hasn't been anything to suggest it will be announced in September - that may be a 2017 thing as well.

Just now, Harvey Spector said:

Cool.  Yeah with 2 year contracts now there is no reason why anyone would need to keep a smart phone that is older than 2 years.  You can simply renew your contract and upgrade for free.  You can also sell your 2 year old device on Craigslist and take the cash to buy the newest model versus getting last year's model for free.  I do that all the time.  I remember selling my Iphone 6 for $450 and then flipping that into my Iphone 6s plus.  It cost me a bit more becuause I got the plus model, but for me and my business the plus model is perfect.

Yes, true. I sold my 5s for $150.

So, I got a new phone for free, I got a $100 giftcard, and then $150 cash. Like you said, there is virtually no reason to keep an old phone at this point. 

Yeah the BIG upgrade will be next year, 2017, the 10th anniversary.  So I'm keeping my Iphone 6s plus until next year.  Apparently next year they will change the form factor and it will be all glass, edge to edge screen, with NO home button.  So the entire face will be one big screen.  And it will be an AMOLED screen as well.  It will be the Iphone for the ages...

Was reading that outside of China and North America (where people are overly fascinated with branding) iPhone market penetration is sub-30%.  You're paying for the brand folks.  Any innovation Apple creates can be immediately copied with an open source operating system.  Not to mention I can charge my S6 in 15 minutes instead of wall-hugging like a goof.

1 hour ago, shadowgoon said:

Honestly, with the lack of quality that consumer devices are manufactured these days, I wouldn't want to keep anything more than 1 or 2 generations old anyway.

This is also the price of progress. It's what held back Windows for so many years from becoming a better operating system; business level backwards compatibility. Business itself also needs to be way WAY less change averse.

If we as a society want to get out of this rut we've been in since the industrial revolution, we need to get a lot more comfortable with change.

But who am I to say? This is CDC, let's go with "evil corporation does things to make us spend money".

What we need to do is reconcile our want for change and 'new' with not manufacturing wasteful, disposable crap.

1 hour ago, shadowgoon said:

I don't know about CDC, but Apple is an evil corporation and does make people spend money.

45 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

The phone isn't free, you pay a device balance averaged over the contract.  Your "buyout" is you paying for the phone.

Archived