The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Your Team Sucks: Vancouver Canucks

MJDDawg

On 8/30/2016 at 5:54 PM, CanadianRugby said:

If Bonino's foot speed didn't work with the Canucks why did he have his 2nd best season ever with us?  His 39 points were only 1 point short of Sutter's best season ever.  Sutter is also a career +11 while Bonino is +29.  You think a 190lb guy with a limited skillset can be a shut down C in the west?  Shutdown C's usually have better FO% than 48.3%   We did overpay, and downgraded in talent or at best moved sideways.  Then overpaid again when it came to his contract.

Too early to tell how this trade went...but on paper it made sense for both teams, Bonino was an awkward fit on our 2nd line, and Sutter brings more goals which we truly need (and was on pace for another 20 goal season with limited games played last year, or enough time to grow chemistry).  4mill is fine for a veteran 20-20 guys these days, and he did that on third line with limited pp time.  Let's see what he can do with more minutes and PP time before the pitchforks come out.   

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

Well Juolevi was drafted higher than most expected. Maybe that makes him a lucky player.

True. And we needed a blue chip D prospect sooner than later. Could be a blessing in disguise that we got him when we did.

22 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

How about Vegas? From odds shark?

Here’s the complete list of odds:

2017 Stanley Cup Odds
Team Odds
Pittsburgh Penguins +900
Chicago Blackhawks +950
Washington Capitals +1000
Tampa Bay Lightning +1000
Dallas Stars +1200
St. Louis Blues +1400
San Jose Sharks +1400
Nashville Predators +1400
Los Angeles Kings +1600
Anaheim Ducks +1600
Florida Panthers +2000
Minnesota Wild +2200
New York Rangers +2200
Detroit Red Wings +2500
New York Islanders +2500
Boston Bruins +2500
Montreal Canadiens +3300
Philadelphia Flyers +3300
Edmonton Oilers +3300
New Jersey Devils +4000
Colorado Avalanche +5000
Ottawa Senators +5000
Calgary Flames +5000
Winnipeg Jets +5000
Toronto Maple Leafs +5000
Buffalo Sabres +5000
Arizona Coyotes +6600
Carolina Hurricanes +6600
Columbus Blue Jackets +6600
Vancouver Canucks +7500

If I was you, I'd take those odds. I've already placed my bet for the Canucks to win the cup at 75:1. It only takes a couple of our prospects to step it a gear, it is a good bet IMO. 

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Too early to tell how this trade went...but on paper it made sense for both teams, Bonino was an awkward fit on our 2nd line, and Sutter brings more goals which we truly need (and was on pace for another 20 goal season with limited games played last year, or enough time to grow chemistry).  4mill is fine for a veteran 20-20 guys these days, and he did that on third line with limited pp time.  Let's see what he can do with more minutes and PP time before the pitchforks come out.   

Anyone who watched Bones play for us would never want to see him again.  

IMO he was carried by his linemates in the playoffs, it was like lighting in a bottle. I don't expect it to be repeated. Added to that Sid and Malkin took the hard minutes. 

He regular season was horrendous as was his playoffs with us last year. 

Give Sutter a half season before judging him. Last season's injury was a fluke. 

EW. 

On 30 August 2016 at 7:01 PM, PhillipBlunt said:

I think it may have something to do with the licking of his lip broom that throws people off. He is a bundle of nerves, that one.

I agree Phil but he is also a guy who doesn't hide his passion - what do you think goes through a player's mind when he sees his coach display that kind of feeling for his team and their endeavours? Especially the rookies.

I would give my left one to play for a guy like that. I loved AV but at times I thought he hid his passion too much.

3 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

IMO he was carried by his linemates in the playoffs, it was like lighting in a bottle. I don't expect it to be repeated. Added to that Sid and Malkin took the hard minutes. 

EW. 

Funny I said virtually this during the play offs. I think the guy is a good honest player slightly on the slow side but makes up for it with his hockey sense - elevated by his line mates.

3 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

EW. 

Exactly.  Bones was the week link and never seemed to play with any oomph and seemed to lack the ability or will to go into the tougher areas... often look confused even as if expecting is line-mates to make things work instead of just doing it himself..  I watched every game of the final and he played much better than he did for us, and yes his beard was out of this world glorious...but is was Hagelin making the room with his lighting speed and Kessel doing his thing - agreed against weaker opposition than Crosby especially, and Malkin most of the time too.  Some people make snap decisions by looking at the stats...Kessel was third in line on Pens to win the Smythe IMO, despite leading the team in scoring, Crosby OR Letang were better choices.  Bones wins best playoff beard on that team, hands down though.

On ‎2016‎-‎08‎-‎30 at 4:12 PM, 5Fivehole0 said:

It depends on what type of forward they are. You're acting like Ovechkin is always the better pick over Toews, who is making 10.5M for around 60 points per season. Toews does so much more outside of point getting.
Toews also has NHL MVP Kane and the best defensive pairing in the league, arguably the best coach in the NHL and has had a boatload of talent like Byfuglien, Ladd.. etc.  But ok.. Ovechkin is garbage and Sutter is just like Toews?  Right.

Actually the Sedins were dominating play against Calgary, it was Boninos line that was getting destroyed by Gaudreau and co.
So.. 4 points on 1st line is DOMINATION

And 3 points on 2nd line is GETTING DESTROYED

Brilliant stuff right there.

Sutters success is going to be a different kind of success, you obviously have very little knowledge of hockey and how the game actually works. Let me help you out... if only just a little bit.

Yes.. please more of your "knowledge" I'm learning so much!

Shutdown C, examples being Kesler, Sutter, Toews. These guys win faceoffs and stifle your....

Let me stop you right there because you're embarrassing yourself.  Kesler has a career FO% of 54%.  Toews 57%.  These are Selke quality players.  Don't compare or even mention Sutter with them.  His career FO% is 48, that's Bonino territory.  Sutter is never winning a Selke.  It's highly questionable if he's even average at being a shut down player.  He was brought in because of his goal scoring and because he's a "foundational player".  For a guy that talks trash about how much he knows about hockey, you know surprisingly little about hockey. 

13 hours ago, HarryCanuck said:

If I was you, I'd take those odds. I've already placed my bet for the Canucks to win the cup at 75:1. It only takes a couple of our prospects to step it a gear, it is a good bet IMO. 

Under no circumstance is 75-1 a good bet.  

8 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

It depends on what type of forward they are. You're acting like Ovechkin is always the better pick over Toews, who is making 10.5M for around 60 points per season. Toews does so much more outside of point getting.
Toews also has NHL MVP Kane and the best defensive pairing in the league, arguably the best coach in the NHL and has had a boatload of talent like Byfuglien, Ladd.. etc.  But ok.. Ovechkin is garbage and Sutter is just like Toews?  Right.

Once again, savagely missed the point. Yes, Toews is like Sutter. Yes Toews is the best shut down C in the league, and Sutter is not, but they both play the same style of game. You just don't understand hockey and see how manys goals and assists a player has.

Actually the Sedins were dominating play against Calgary, it was Boninos line that was getting destroyed by Gaudreau and co.
So.. 4 points on 1st line is DOMINATION

And 3 points on 2nd line is GETTING DESTROYED

Brilliant stuff right there.

You didn't watch the games. The shot blocking of Calgary was a difference maker, the Sedins possession time, and time on attack were through the roof that series. 

Also, you're wrong. Daniel had 4 points, Henrik had 4 points. and Vrbata had 4 points, for 5G and 12 points over 6 games. 

Higgins Bonino Matthias? I don't remember the 2nd line exactly, but lets say Higgins Bonino Hansen had 4G and 9 points over 6 games, but I'm actually pretty sure that Hansen didn't play with Bonino for a majority of the series, I'm just trying to give your argument some breath.

Sutters success is going to be a different kind of success, you obviously have very little knowledge of hockey and how the game actually works. Let me help you out... if only just a little bit.

Yes.. please more of your "knowledge" I'm learning so much!
You don't understand hockey, it's obvious. 

Shutdown C, examples being Kesler, Sutter, Toews. These guys win faceoffs and stifle your....

Let me stop you right there because you're embarrassing yourself.  Kesler has a career FO% of 54%.  Toews 57%.  These are Selke quality players.  Don't compare or even mention Sutter with them.  His career FO% is 48, that's Bonino territory.  Sutter is never winning a Selke.  It's highly questionable if he's even average at being a shut down player.  He was brought in because of his goal scoring and because he's a "foundational player".  For a guy that talks trash about how much he knows about hockey, you know surprisingly little about hockey. 

Sutter will never win a Selke, you're right, neither would have Malhortra, or Richardson, Vermette, Bozak. Fischer, Lecavalier, Backes, O'Rielly, Couturier, Nielson...etc... That doesn't change the fact that they are shutdown centres. They are used to stifle the opponents offense. They take a majority of defensive draws and play on the PK. 

You have no idea what you're talking about. Stop posting, you're the one embarrassing yourself. Sutter isn't an elite player like they are, he is no Selke Candidate, but stop acting like Bonino was. Never once did I say Sutter was a Selke performer, but he plays the same style of game as those guys, which is the blatant point you are completely missing. Sutter isn't a 30 goal scorer, and he's not a Selke contender, he's a shut down centre. He is a defensive forward. He plays hard minutes and takes the important faceoffs.

Also, 48% is 2% shy of 50, which is respectable. He loses 6 more faces per 100 than Kesler. 
Also, Henrik Sedin has a career 48.8%. 
Logan Couture 50.5%
Couturier, who is widely considered one of the best young shutdown C's in the league, 47.6%

I won't say you know nothing about hockey, but you sure as hell know nothing about Sutter or the position he plays.

On August 31, 2016 at 0:13 PM, oldnews said:

Funny thing.

San Jose's odds opened at 80/1 last year. (Vancouver 75-1 right now).

Feb 15 they were 25-1.

May 24th they were 5/4.

So take it for what it's worth.

Pittsburgh was 25-1 on Feb 15.

3-1 on May 24.

http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/13925086/nhl-latest-2015-16-stanley-cup-odds-westgate-las-vegas-superbook

And there are lots of "odds makers", but here's what yours (oddshark) did last year:

New York Rangers … 5/1
Chicago Blackhawks … 7/1
St. Louis Blues … 15/2
Anaheim Ducks … 9/1
Minnesota Wild … 9/1
Montreal Canadiens … 10/1
Nashville Predators … 12/1
Tampa Bay Lightning … 12/1
Pittsburgh Penguins … 16/1
Vancouver Canucks … 16/1
Ottawa Senators … 18/1
Washington Capitals … 18/1
Detroit Red Wings … 20/1
New York Islanders … 20/1
Winnipeg Jets … 20/1
Calgary Flames … 25/1

They had Vancouver as a top 10 team....tied with the odds of the eventual Cup winner.

San Jose....not in the picture.

And just saying, but Leicester City's odds to win the Premier League last year were 5000/1 before the season started. 

On 8/29/2016 at 9:22 PM, JamesB said:

This article was pretty amusing. But, in addition to complaining a lot, another part of the identity of Canuck fans (at least on CDC) is not having much sense of humour, so I expect a lot of criticism of the article. I realize that a lot of complaints come from a small number of people but I am still surprised by how many posts have the following themes.

1. The referees are out to get us.

2. Gary Bettman is out to get us.

3. The eastern media is out to get us.

4. Jason Botchford and the rest of the local media is out to get us.

5. The analytics community is out to get us (or at least doesn't give us any respect).

After fighting off all those attacks it is hard to go up against actual hockey players on another team.  

That said, there is always a lot of uncertainty going into a season. Two years ago Vancouver and Pittsburgh has similar records. (actually the Canucks were slightly better). Last year Pittsburgh won the Cup and Vancouver had a truly dismal season. So big changes can happen in a year. Maybe this year the Canucks make a big move up instead of down. They should improve significantly on the basis of "regression to the mean" alone.

you are comparing vancouver to a team that have a crosby malkin letang and so on? Crosby and Malkin alone can single handedly win u games by themselves...

4 hours ago, HarryCanuck said:

Depends if you are half glass full or empty, I'm guessing you are the latter. 

I appreciate we need some secondary scoring, but we also have some wild cards coming to camp. 

Those wild cards have a mighty big IF attached to them as well.

Because I'm not hip to what the kids are doing on the interwebs, I didn't even know Deadspin did the "Why Your Team Sucks" before. Wow, these are funny. Reading the Cleveland Browns one.

This is a lot of fun, so take the Canucks one as it should be, the reading equivalent of a popcorn flick.

23 minutes ago, sonoman said:

True that, although at 5000-1 it worked out well for some fans of Leicester :)

If I look at those odds, the Montreal Canadiens at 3300-1 is about the most bang for your buck. If Prices is healthy all season they are a playoff team. If prices gets hot in the playoffs they could win the Stanley cup. 

Archived