The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Your Team Sucks: Vancouver Canucks

MJDDawg

"Willie Desjardins, the human poster boy for the AHL Peter Principle when it comes to coaches! He was hired for such intangibles on his resume as "once coached the same junior team Trevor Linden played for." Wow! He is known for great strategy such as "don't give the Sedins a lot of ice time even though they're all you have" and "ice the fourth line after a goal against."

Pretty accurate description of Willie not to mention his "over playing" of Weber. I am really hoping he learned a lot from last year and changes some of his strategies this year.

2 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

"Willie Desjardins, the human poster boy for the AHL Peter Principle when it comes to coaches! He was hired for such intangibles on his resume as "once coached the same junior team Trevor Linden played for." Wow! He is known for great strategy such as "don't give the Sedins a lot of ice time even though they're all you have" and "ice the fourth line after a goal against."

Pretty accurate description of Willie not to mention his "over playing" of Weber. I am really hoping he learned a lot from last year and changes some of his strategies this year.

I don't think WD is to blame for our mediocrity but does anyone truly feel confident and comfortable with him behind the bench? His sheer body language screams flustered. 

7 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I don't think WD is to blame for our mediocrity but does anyone truly feel confident and comfortable with him behind the bench? His sheer body language screams flustered. 

I think it may have something to do with the licking of his lip broom that throws people off. He is a bundle of nerves, that one.

5 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I don't think it's a good idea to start coach debate befor the season starts. Everybody, inclusively W.D., knows that he has to deliver better results than last year. There isn't much more to say about.

8 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Of course, many of us do. 

It's just malcontents like you that refuse to see the big picture who constantly chip away at the guy despite what he has had to soldier through since taking over. Oh that lady luck should give you a real dose of the same in your occupation - if you even have one.

His body language screams passion, involved, in the moment, compete.

11 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

The way he's helped bring along Horvat, Baer, Etem etc...I'm fine with him behind the bench.

I just hope he doesn't have a jammer during one of the games :lol:

3 hours ago, Tavrohorvat53 said:

Can't say I agree with EVERYTHING but some of it is definitely on point.

I disagree with his evaluation of our team. A lot of those players mentioned were brought in as part of the rebuild+stay competitive plan. These are players that due to depth of their previous team were not getting a fair shake. This group of Canucks is oozing with potential and if the so called "foundational pieces" stay healthy as a group there is lots of potential for growth.

mccann was a softy that dipsey doodles too much. He played on the perimeter too much, fell down a lot, and didn't seem to withstand the riggors of the NHL. His departure does not heart our depth at all because of the aquisition of Markus Granlund early in the season.

Don't take up scouting - you haven't a clue. 

9 hours ago, DeNiro said:

...Oh and just for a laugh, here's the Leafs blueline:

Rielly Polak

Gardiner Zaitsev

Marincin Corrado

Marincin Corrado would be a great band name!

Reilly Polak sounds interesting too, but could be taken as racist...

2 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Of course, many of us do. 

It's just malcontents like you that refuse to see the big picture who constantly chip away at the guy despite what he has had to soldier through since taking over. Oh that lady luck should give you a real dose of the same in your occupation - if you even have one.

His body language screams passion, involved, in the moment, compete.

That's quite the biatch slap you're giving bamboo, alf.

After watcing WD operate the past couple of seasons as the head coach, I am of the opinion that Willie would be an amazing assistant/associate coach in the NHL...for me, where Willie shines is the way he communicates and engages his players, but where he falters is in the in-game strategies and tactics (including deployment of players under certain situations -- something AV was a star at -- and matchups...thought he would get better in his second season, but he didn't seem on top of this though he had a dearth of NHL calibre players to work with).  

For a team in transition with a boatload of newbies, as the Canucks are right now, he's still the right guy.  Looking from the outside in, I can envision Willie, along with his assistants maintaining a sense of calm that would pervade over his boys and providing plenty o' encouragement and confidence when times are tough (which was most of last year and most likely most of this year).  

I like Willie and I hope that the pitchforks don't come out if the Canucks remain on the bubble for a playoff spot at Christmas time.  

14 hours ago, JamesB said:

This article was pretty amusing. But, in addition to complaining a lot, another part of the identity of Canuck fans (at least on CDC) is not having much sense of humour, so I expect a lot of criticism of the article. I realize that a lot of complaints come from a small number of people but I am still surprised by how many posts have the following themes.

1. The referees are out to get us.

2. Gary Bettman is out to get us.

3. The eastern media is out to get us.

4. Jason Botchford and the rest of the local media is out to get us.

5. The analytics community is out to get us (or at least doesn't give us any respect).

After fighting off all those attacks it is hard to go up against actual hockey players on another team.  

That said, there is always a lot of uncertainty going into a season. Two years ago Vancouver and Pittsburgh has similar records. (actually the Canucks were slightly better). Last year Pittsburgh won the Cup and Vancouver had a truly dismal season. So big changes can happen in a year. Maybe this year the Canucks make a big move up instead of down. They should improve significantly on the basis of "regression to the mean" alone.

I gave you a thumbs up until I saw you comparing Canucks to Penguins.  Maybe if we get a Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Kessel and take back the Bonino trade.. or if the Sedins start aging in reverse. 

Archived