The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Your Team Sucks: Vancouver Canucks

MJDDawg

12 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

I gave you a thumbs up until I saw you comparing Canucks to Penguins.  Maybe if we get a Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Kessel and take back the Bonino trade.. or if the Sedins start aging in reverse. 

Anyone who would 'take back the Bonino trade' based on the Pen's winning the cup last year, don't get hockey.

Just now, J.R. said:

Anyone who would 'take back the Bonino trade' based on the Pen's winning the cup last year, don't get hockey.

Career stats:

Points Per Game           Bonino         Sutter
Regular Season             0.55              0.37
Playoffs                          0.61              0.36

Ooops, sorry.  I forgot this was CDC and things like stats and facts don't count unless they support the Canucks. 

1 minute ago, CanadianRugby said:

Career stats:

Ooops, sorry.  I forgot this was CDC and things like stats and facts don't count unless they support the Canucks. 

Nope. Stats just don't paint a full picture. If you continue to walk around with blinders, you'll never see the full picture.

Too many on CDC ignore context like usage, QOC, line mates etc.

I'll neither run down Bonino or artificially bump Sutter. They're pretty on par players with different skill sets and Sutter's fit our needs better. Yet I'll continue to see sentiment like:

"BoninnNNoZZZ wWINZZ CUppppSSZZ!! We LLOOOOSSSZZT TRADEZZZZZZZZZZZ! :frantic:"

^^^ No context. Clear lack of critical thinking. 

Most posters here;

Image result for ostrich with head in sand

A sad commentary, unfortunately there is some truth to the article, some.

This is way the rest of the league see's the Canucks,

Some fan's can't just keep saying, "Look, everyone is out of step but Johnnie", well some will and then parrot whatever the media or management says, BECAUSE they are gods and gods are never wrong, EVER.

Does anyone realize how naïve it sounds to ridicule every negative comment?

How can everyone else be wrong, even a broken clock is correct twice a day.

If you don't believe what is written, then look up information that contravenes what is written, come up with reason's, not propaganda.

44 minutes ago, Stanley's Kup said:

Nice article and thank you for the valuable insight captain obvious. But before you shred our team, I suggest one must look at the Leaf's history and then dare comment.

As with many other posters in this thread, you've jumped in without realizing the article was satire and the site has already done the same for the two other teams to finish lower than the Canucks in the standing (i.e. the Leafs were the first article in the series).

So, I suggest you have a read through this thread and/or take a look at the sites other articles before you freak out comment.

5 hours ago, Tavrohorvat53 said:

Can't say I agree with EVERYTHING but some of it is definitely on point.

I disagree with his evaluation of our team. A lot of those players mentioned were brought in as part of the rebuild+stay competitive plan. These are players that due to depth of their previous team were not getting a fair shake. This group of Canucks is oozing with potential and if the so called "foundational pieces" stay healthy as a group there is lots of potential for growth.

mccann was a softy that dipsey doodles too much. He played on the perimeter too much, fell down a lot, and didn't seem to withstand the riggors of the NHL. His departure does not heart our depth at all because of the aquisition of Markus Granlund early in the season.

You do realize the author is doing this for every canadian team and its more of a parody on the respective fan bases right?

55 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Most posters here;

Image result for ostrich with head in sand

A sad commentary, unfortunately there is some truth to the article, some.

This is way the rest of the league see's the Canucks,

Some fan's can't just keep saying, "Look, everyone is out of step but Johnnie", well some will and then parrot whatever the media or management says, BECAUSE they are gods and gods are never wrong, EVER.

Does anyone realize how naïve it sounds to ridicule every negative comment?

How can everyone else be wrong, even a broken clock is correct twice a day.

If you don't believe what is written, then look up information that contravenes what is written, come up with reason's, not propaganda.

Chirp chirp.

Yellow Torontroll media can chirp all they want.  It's inconsequential noise.

Image result for chirp chirp

The team will do the talking on the ice.

2 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

And IF they bomb?

Any team can bomb.

You, like the Toronto media (and everyone else), don't really have any idea what's going to happen.  Playoffs?  Lottery?  Who knows.

Assuming heads are in the sand simply pretends that you know how 'bad' this team will be.  You don't - nor do the Onterrible media.

2 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

I gave you a thumbs up until I saw you comparing Canucks to Penguins.  Maybe if we get a Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Kessel and take back the Bonino trade.. or if the Sedins start aging in reverse. 

Fair enough. I have made the same argument as you in the past. It is hard to win without genuine franchise type players and Canuck franchise players (the Sedins) are now too old to play that role (although they are still good players).

While I do expect some improvement next year, partly due to regression to the mean, in order to become Cup contenders the Canucks need some of their young guys to really exceed expectations and maybe start to look like potential franchise players.

I agree that is not likely next year. But it will at least be interesting to watch the development of guys like Horvat, Baertschi, Hutton, Gudbranson and Virtanen. And of course we will keep an eye on Demko, Juolevi, and Boeser.

Why the hell would we reverse the Bonino deal? 

No thanks.

The San Jose experience is another one in "who the hell knows?"   

Perennial chokers in addition to senior citizens (Thornton, Marleau, Ward, Martin, Zubrus) - who honestly thought that team was going anywhere near a Stanley Cup Final?

16 hours ago, Monty said:

This is how you can sum up Toronto media, regarding the Maple Leafs in comparison to every other team in the NHL:

image.gif

Outta plusses but this is it in a nutshell.

I'd certifiably love to see the Leafs organization without Babcock behind the bench lol.

With him, I think they actually have a fighting chance, despite their management.

Career stats:

Boninos foot speed didn't work with the Canucks, he flourished in Pittsburgh because of this surrounding cast (Kessel and Hagelin)

Sutter also does things that Bonino does not, defensively. Bonino for Sutter made sense because we needed a shut down centre not a play maker. We also needed someone who can skate faster than your average bear. 

The trade made sense and we probably over paid slightly but it wasn't a bad trade by any means.

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

Nope. Stats just don't paint a full picture. If you continue to walk around with blinders, you'll never see the full picture.

Too many on CDC ignore context like usage, QOC, line mates etc.

I'll neither run down Bonino or artificially bump Sutter. They're pretty on par players with different skill sets and Sutter's fit our needs better. Yet I'll continue to see sentiment like:

"BoninnNNoZZZ wWINZZ CUppppSSZZ!! We LLOOOOSSSZZT TRADEZZZZZZZZZZZ! :frantic:"

^^^ No context. Clear lack of critical thinking. 

So what's the full picture?  Is Sutter supposedly so much better defensively than Bonino that it offsets Bonino scoring literally twice as much when it comes to playoff time?  What has Sutter done to show he's better than Bonino?  We gave up the higher pick, and Bonino has done 100% better than Sutter since the trade.  He has also done better before the trade.  Sutter has done nothing throughout his career to indicate he will do better in the future.  What is it that everyone other than some fans on CDC are too stupid to see?

This is a typical response on CDC?  "Oh.. stats that prove me wrong?  Stats don't prove anything and everyone else other than 'true' Canuck fans are stupid and don't understand us or hockey." 

The more time I spend on here the more I see why everyone hates Canuck fans.  All act like they're smarter than anyone in the media, like they're smarter than paid experts.  Stats and facts to CDC are like global warming experts to a RNC convention. 

55 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Why the hell would we reverse the Bonino deal? 

No thanks.

The San Jose experience is another one in "who the hell knows?"   

Perennial chokers in addition to senior citizens (Thornton, Marleau, Ward, Martin, Zubrus) - who honestly thought that team was going anywhere near a Stanley Cup Final?

Because Bonino is better and we gave up a 2nd round pick?

Don't compare us to San Jose until the Sedins become point per game players again (Thorton/Pavelski) and one of our D score 75 points and are up for the Norris (Burns).  They scored 237 goals, Vancouver.. 186.  Might as well compare Baertschi to Crosby while you're at it.

I didn't think they would go to a final.  But guess what.  They're a million times better than the Canucks and they still weren't good enough to win the cup. 

2 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

So what's the full picture?  Is Sutter supposedly so much better defensively than Bonino that it offsets Bonino scoring literally twice as much when it comes to playoff time?  What has Sutter done to show he's better than Bonino?  We gave up the higher pick, and Bonino has done 100% better than Sutter since the trade.  He has also done better before the trade.  Sutter has done nothing throughout his career to indicate he will do better in the future.  What is it that everyone other than some fans on CDC are too stupid to see?

This is a typical response on CDC?  "Oh.. stats that prove me wrong?  Stats don't prove anything and everyone else other than 'true' Canuck fans are stupid and don't understand us or hockey." 

The more time I spend on here the more I see why everyone hates Canuck fans.  All act like they're smarter than anyone in the media, like they're smarter than paid experts.  Stats and facts to CDC are like global warming experts to a RNC convention. 

That Bonino has largely played with far more offensively talented team mates against lesser competition in more offensive leaning situations, zone starts etc (though Bonino is also competent in many regards there, just less so than Sutter). 

There's stats on all that too that have already been posted in numerous Bonino/Sutter threads the last couple years FWIW. Yet the guy harping on about people ignoring stats continues to do so himself, oh so ironically. 

I never denied Bonino has scored more but there's a HELL of a lot more to the makeup of a hockey player than G, A, P. 

4 hours ago, J.R. said:

Broad strokes..

Yes, probably unfairly so. It is really impossible to over generalize any fan base. 

It is often the worst fans who are the most noticeable. There are a lot of great Canucks fans, especially on this board, who can really appreciate and weather the team regardless of where they are at. 

I for one saw the team sucking as a bit of a "cleansing" of a lot of the crap fans that jumped on the bandwagon. Having a poor team means more change, exciting young players, and more affordable & accessible tickets. While this isn't good for a Canucks fan, it is great for a hockey fan who can appreciate the game for what it is. 

My level of support doesn't really change regardless of where the team is at, although I will admit at times last season I wasn't overly eager to stay up until 1AM when the team seemed completely unable to score goals. The entertainment value is important for me. Having a non-playoff team isn't nearly as bad if the team has some exciting young players and can score goals. 

I'd rather us be a crap team like Calgary last year and score goals (4th in the west) vs a marginally better team like NJ and play a defensive style (15th in the East). 

The Sedins, Eriksson, Rodin, Baertschi, Horvat, Gudbranson, Hutton, all give me reason to be excited for next season. Also looking forward to watching the Comets, and selfishly hope Virtanen is playing in the four games I am going to next season. Subban was a real treat to watch, and we have some solid young players coming up in the system. 

5 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

1) Because Bonino is better and we gave up a 2nd round pick?

2) Don't compare us to San Jose until the Sedins become point per game players again (Thorton/Pavelski) and one of our D score 75 points and are up for the Norris (Burns).  They scored 237 goals, Vancouver.. 186.  Might as well compare Baertschi to Crosby while you're at it.

3) I didn't think they would go to a final.  But guess what.  They're a million times better than the Canucks and they still weren't good enough to win the cup. 

1) If you say so.

2) strawman.  you're confusing two different conversations.  btw - Pavelski is not Patrick Marleau.  Nice effort though.

3) exactly.  only a million times, eh.  who can argue with that.

15 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Boninos foot speed didn't work with the Canucks, he flourished in Pittsburgh because of this surrounding cast (Kessel and Hagelin)

Sutter also does things that Bonino does not, defensively. Bonino for Sutter made sense because we needed a shut down centre not a play maker. We also needed someone who can skate faster than your average bear. 

The trade made sense and we probably over paid slightly but it wasn't a bad trade by any means.

If Bonino's foot speed didn't work with the Canucks why did he have his 2nd best season ever with us?  His 39 points were only 1 point short of Sutter's best season ever.  Sutter is also a career +11 while Bonino is +29.  You think a 190lb guy with a limited skillset can be a shut down C in the west?  Shutdown C's usually have better FO% than 48.3%   We did overpay, and downgraded in talent or at best moved sideways.  Then overpaid again when it came to his contract.

Archived