The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Your Team Sucks: Vancouver Canucks

MJDDawg

On 30 August 2016 at 9:09 AM, Toews said:

I do agree with the article on complaining about a 4pm game. Every year there is a thread about the subject and it just seems like such a petty issue to complain about. Scheduling is done to maximise viewers. It's not about fairness, it's about money. They have likely determined that a 4pm start is when they will get the most viewers, both from the east coast and the west. 

However the preference is clearly slanted towards Toronto as the f/o time starts in prime viewing time 7pm vs 4pm in Van, which make commercial sense TBH. I would score this one 1-0 to the leafs. 

I do not believe their is a conspiracy vs the Canucks, I just believe the NHL only supports its own commercial interests.  Van does not offer the NHL as much as a growing large American TV market or the Toronto Maple Leafs. It's nothing personal, but it does not sit well with management or the Canucks fan base. 

14 hours ago, oldnews said:

Which goes to show your 'analytics' guys penchant for outsmarting yourselves.

"Interesting" in the sense of how confused you get, trapped in data that dominates you lol.

The "analyticzzzz"!!!!  Gudbranson isn't really a shutdown D - but, but he's an offensive dynamo!!  Thanalyticzzzz sayzz zo!

Image result for contradiction

You still sound bitter that the analytics guys out-predicted you last season regarding the Canucks performance. You need to let it go. But I do hope you learned from your mistakes. All the best.

38 minutes ago, baumerman77 said:

You still sound bitter that the analytics guys out-predicted you last season regarding the Canucks performance. You need to let it go. But I do hope you learned from your mistakes. All the best.

Analytics predicted we'd have catastrophic injuries last season? News to me.

17 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

I didn't slag the guy.  I said we lost the trade then used stats to back my claim up.  I think Bonino is better than Sutter.  I think Sutter is a good 3rd line C and will be a bad 2nd line C.  I don't see how Sutter allows Horvat to develop any more than Bonino did.  At this point I would argue that Horvat is better than Sutter.

You're right.  I do tear this team down like I never have before.  I take no joy in it but I call it how I see it.  I started doing it when they signed Miller/Vrbata instead of rebuilding.  I hope I'm proven wrong and the retool or whatever you want to call it works.  However so far Benning has been been a total disaster. 

I think the jury is still out on Sutter until he can play over 20 games for us. It is only fair before comparing the two players.

i think the bolder was managements only crucial mistake. That was their first year so they wanted to make playoffs to make an impression, which I understand. However, that year was mcdavids draft year. Not saying we would have won the lottery but we would have been in the mix. We likely would have ended up with one of strome, eichel, provorov, Hanifin, marner. Although even you have to admit JB made up for it with the Boeser pick, at least it appears so. 

At at this point what is done is done and we just have to hope that this retool works, like you said. Although I find myself wondering how far ahead of the rebuild we would be without that first round exit in 2014. 

All that that being said I don't think it is fair to say JBs tenure has been a disaster. Considering what he started with I would say he is doing quite well.

2 hours ago, baumerman77 said:

Nice story.

Who are "the analytics guys" you refer to, and where are their 'predictions' of what happened to Vancouver last year?

Likewise, my prediction of Canuck performances - what were they?

For an 'analytics' guy you sure like to deal in fantasy.

Gudbranson is a better offensive than defensive blueliner!

You sure qualified your claim (then again, you never do.)

Good luck learning with that 'analytical' makeup/mask propped up to guard your 'intellectual' ego. 

While you're hindsighting ans sidetracking, why not share with us who Benning should have drafted instead of Juolevi, Boeser, Demko, Tryamkin, etc.

The rebuild - such a fail!

1 hour ago, baumerman77 said:

Do you think that was the difference between making the playoffs last year and missing them?

Tell us what the difference between 2014/15 and 2015/16 was.

Don't really expect a response.  baumermann never quite manages to take, or qualify, a position.  

Bieksa and Matthias and their stellar possession impact? (both of them negative corsi with near dead even zone starts and middling qoc).

Healthy Higgins!  There may be a bit to that, but that would make JR's point, so scratch that.

It must just be Bonino!

Curious if baumermann has the fortitude to make a prediction of his own.  Let's here what your 'analyticz' predict for 2016/17.  

22 hours ago, oldnews said:

Any team can bomb.

You, like the Toronto media (and everyone else), don't really have any idea what's going to happen.  Playoffs?  Lottery?  Who knows.

Assuming heads are in the sand simply pretends that you know how 'bad' this team will be.  You don't - nor do the Onterrible media.

How about Vegas? From odds shark?

Here’s the complete list of odds:

2017 Stanley Cup Odds
Team Odds
Pittsburgh Penguins +900
Chicago Blackhawks +950
Washington Capitals +1000
Tampa Bay Lightning +1000
Dallas Stars +1200
St. Louis Blues +1400
San Jose Sharks +1400
Nashville Predators +1400
Los Angeles Kings +1600
Anaheim Ducks +1600
Florida Panthers +2000
Minnesota Wild +2200
New York Rangers +2200
Detroit Red Wings +2500
New York Islanders +2500
Boston Bruins +2500
Montreal Canadiens +3300
Philadelphia Flyers +3300
Edmonton Oilers +3300
New Jersey Devils +4000
Colorado Avalanche +5000
Ottawa Senators +5000
Calgary Flames +5000
Winnipeg Jets +5000
Toronto Maple Leafs +5000
Buffalo Sabres +5000
Arizona Coyotes +6600
Carolina Hurricanes +6600
Columbus Blue Jackets +6600
Vancouver Canucks +7500

3 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

2017 Stanley Cup Odds
Team Odds
Pittsburgh Penguins +900
Chicago Blackhawks +950
Dallas Stars +1200
St. Louis Blues +1400
San Jose Sharks +1400
Los Angeles Kings +1600
Anaheim Ducks +1600
Florida Panthers +2000
Minnesota Wild +2200
New York Rangers +2200
Detroit Red Wings +2500
New York Islanders +2500
Boston Bruins +2500
Montreal Canadiens +3300
Edmonton Oilers +3300
New Jersey Devils +4000
Colorado Avalanche +5000
Ottawa Senators +5000
Calgary Flames +5000
Winnipeg Jets +5000
Buffalo Sabres +5000
Arizona Coyotes +6600
Vancouver Canucks +7500

I love it.

Do you agree with those odds?  

Calgary and Edmonton...equal to Toronto.....

What's more interesting is who the oddsmakers put their own money on.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Tell us what the difference between 2014/15 and 2015/16 was.

Don't really expect a response.  baumermann never quite manages to take, or qualify, a position.  

Bieksa and Matthias and their stellar possession impact? (both of them negative corsi with near dead even zone starts and middling qoc).

Healthy Higgins!  There may be a bit to that, but that would make JR's point, so scratch that.

It must just be Bonino!

Curious if baumermann has the fortitude to make a prediction of his own.  Let's here what your 'analyticz' predict for 2016/17.  

There's no need to get so defensive, I was simply just pointing out the facts.

Thanks for showing interest in my predictions. You can look up the 'time capsule' threads for this season and last season to see my predictions. 

Have a great day!

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

I love it.

Do you agree with those odds?  

Calgary and Edmonton...equal to Toronto.....

What's more interesting is who the oddsmakers put their own money on.

This is Vegas man, they don't make money from losing. This is their job, not playing sports or being fans.

13 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

2017 Stanley Cup Odds
Team Odds
Pittsburgh Penguins +900
Chicago Blackhawks +950
Dallas Stars +1200
St. Louis Blues +1400
San Jose Sharks +1400
Los Angeles Kings +1600
Anaheim Ducks +1600
Florida Panthers +2000
Minnesota Wild +2200
New York Rangers +2200
Detroit Red Wings +2500
New York Islanders +2500
Boston Bruins +2500
Montreal Canadiens +3300
Edmonton Oilers +3300
New Jersey Devils +4000
Colorado Avalanche +5000
Ottawa Senators +5000
Calgary Flames +5000
Winnipeg Jets +5000
Buffalo Sabres +5000
Arizona Coyotes +6600

Las Vegas Knights 

Vancouver Canucks

+7499

+7500

Should've added las Vegas to show how low our chances are

6 minutes ago, baumerman77 said:

There's no need to get so defensive, I was simply just pointing out the facts.

Thanks for showing interest in my predictions. You can look up the 'time capsule' threads for this season and last season to see my predictions. 

Have a great day!

LOL.

They miss the playoffs, finish low...unless they have a high PDO.

What a chickencrap 'prediction'.  Confirms what I thought.

Gudbranson is a better offensive defenseman, unless....he's a better defensive defenseman....

We'll win....if we take good shots....and make saves!!

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

LOL.

They miss the playoffs, finish low...unless they have a high PDO.

What a chickencrap 'prediction'.  Confirms what I thought.

Gudbranson is a better offensive defenseman, unless....he's a better defensive defenseman....

We'll win....if we take good shots....and make saves!!

There is a lot of good resources out there to learn about analytics. I don't think you understand some of the terms as exemplified by your post here. I look forward to your prediction (you can only go up from your prediction last year... at least I hope).

35 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

This is Vegas man, they don't make money from losing. This is their job, not playing sports or being fans.

Funny thing.

San Jose's odds opened at 80/1 last year. (Vancouver 75-1 right now).

Feb 15 they were 25-1.

May 24th they were 5/4.

So take it for what it's worth.

Pittsburgh was 25-1 on Feb 15.

3-1 on May 24.

http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/13925086/nhl-latest-2015-16-stanley-cup-odds-westgate-las-vegas-superbook

And there are lots of "odds makers", but here's what yours (oddshark) did last year:

New York Rangers … 5/1
Chicago Blackhawks … 7/1
St. Louis Blues … 15/2
Anaheim Ducks … 9/1
Minnesota Wild … 9/1
Montreal Canadiens … 10/1
Nashville Predators … 12/1
Tampa Bay Lightning … 12/1
Pittsburgh Penguins … 16/1
Vancouver Canucks … 16/1
Ottawa Senators … 18/1
Washington Capitals … 18/1
Detroit Red Wings … 20/1
New York Islanders … 20/1
Winnipeg Jets … 20/1
Calgary Flames … 25/1

They had Vancouver as a top 10 team....tied with the odds of the eventual Cup winner.

San Jose....not in the picture.

1 hour ago, baumerman77 said:

There is a lot of good resources out there to learn about analytics. I don't think you understand some of the terms as exemplified by your post here. I look forward to your prediction (you can only go up from your prediction last year... at least I hope).

Back with the pretentiousness and  pedantry.

I think your belief that Gudbranson is a better offensive than defensive blueliner says about all we need to know about your concept of 'analyticz'.

I've made my predictions - not a waffle to the effect of  'the Canucks will make the playoffs... if their corsi is positive, and they make more saves than the opposition.....but if the opposition takes more shots, and theCanucks goaltender's sv% is lower, then they'll miss the playoffs.

Genius stuff.

I think they'll win all the games they outscore their opponents, and lose the others.

Archived