The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

bad day for Coca Cola

GLASSJAW

I found these two articles on reddit and found them both pretty interesting.

About 75 million (CDN) worth of cocaine has been found in a French Coke plant:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37232010

Cocaine with a street value of up to 50 million euros (£42m) has been discovered at a Coca-Cola plant in France.

The drug, hidden in bags among a delivery of orange juice concentrate, arrived in a container from South America.

An investigation is under way in Signes, a village in southern France.

The seizure of 370kg of cocaine makes it one of the largest finds on French soil.

The prosecutor of Toulon, Xavier Tarabeux, said the delivery "has a street value of 50 million euros" and referred to it as "a very bad surprise".

Employees at the Coca-Cola plant have been ruled out of any involvement as investigators attempt to trace the origin of the drug.

"The first elements of the investigation have shown that employees are in no way involved," Jean-Denis Malgras, the regional president of Coca-Cola, told local news website Var-Matin.

The original Coca-Cola formula, created in 1886 by US pharmacist John Pemberton, is believed to have contained traces of cocaine derived from coca leaf extract.

And then: Coca Cola is one of many corporations being accused of supporting terrorist groups in Colombia:

http://colombiareports.com/coca-cola-facing-terrorism-support-charges-colombia/

Multinational beverage producer Coca Cola is one of more than 50 companies that will be charged with financing the now-defunct Colombian paramilitary AUC group, a designated terrorist organization.

Several courts will reportedly forward evidence of the involvement of the companies in financing the AUC, which killed many dozens of labor rights defenders during its existence between 1997 and 2006, to a transitional justice tribunal.

Among the 57 companies are other major multinationals like Chiquita and Drummond.

Colombia’s state-run oil company Ecopetrol, the country’s largest soft-drink producer Postobon and the country’s largest cement company, Cementos Argos are also among the suspected terrorism supporters.

The companies are among a list of 120 companies named by demobilized paramilitaries as financiers of the AUC, which committed more than 130 massacres and displaced millions.

During the Colombian state’s 52 years of armed conflict with leftist guerrillas, thousands of Colombian businesses and businessmen were extorted by either the guerrillas or their adversaries, far-right paramilitary groups like the AUC.

These paramilitary groups emerged in the 1980s as self-defense groups to defend the private property of large landowners from groups like the FARC and ELN, who were increasingly extorting and kidnapping wealthy Colombians.

However, thousands of businesses and paramilitary groups went further and began a political extermination campaign of the country’s left, killing unionists, leftist thought leaders and human rights defenders.

The AUC, the largest paramilitary group in recent Colombian history, demobilized between 2003 and 2006, after which the ties between the country’s political and business elite and the designated terrorist group became clear.

While dozens of congressmen have since been sent to jail in what has been called the “parapolitics”scandal, foreign and Colombian businesses who supported the AUC have allegedly been largely left unpunished.

The cases against Coca Cola and other suspected terrorism supporters will be brought before a transitional justice tribunal that will take force once a peace deal with the FARC, by far the largest guerrilla group in Colombia, is signed.

5 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I stopped chasing the red dragon 2 years ago and will never look back.  The red dragon being coke of coarse.

Are we talking about the drink? As a teen I was addicted to this filth. I would get gnarly headaches if I went a few days without it. I'm assuming it was just the insane amounts of sugar or something, but Coke just does weird things to me.

I have a coke a couple times a year now, and i totally, shamelessly enjoy it, but eliminating or largely limiting your sugary-drink intake does wonders for your health. 

4 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

Are we talking about the drink? As a teen I was addicted to this filth. I would get gnarly headaches if I went a few days without it. I'm assuming it was just the insane amounts of sugar or something, but Coke just does weird things to me.

I have a coke a couple times a year now, and i totally, shamelessly enjoy it, but eliminating or largely limiting your sugary-drink intake does wonders for your health. 

Yeah I was same.  When you get withdrawals from something you know it ain't right.

9 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

Never suffered that bad that I knew of.  Did lose a little weight when I went cold turkey on soda about 12 yrs ago.  In the last year or so, I lightened up a little on my stance, but try to limit it to some of the craft drinks with real sugar, as opposed to the HFCS crap we are subjected to now.

I do miss having a coke or root beer with a burger, or with popcorn in the theater though.  Those were the days!  Some things sure suck about getting older.

Regarding the OP, I wonder if it's a big deal.  No employees are under investigation, according the the article posted.  And, for the Colombia stuff, who knows.  Allegedly supporting one group or criminals to protect themselves from another group.  It wouldn't surprise me if this gets washed away somehow, even if the corporations need to grease the wheels a bit.  Messy as hell, for sure.  Hopefully this report reflects real progress in Colombia.

Curious about making peace with FARC though.  Can it last?

Yikes. Well, I don't drink any pop. It's awful.

What I never understood is what is meant by 'street value.' Is that how much a street level dealer would make if they were selling it by the gram on the street? Or does 'street' simply mean that since it is an illegal product and therefore not taxed, what a top level dealer makes distributing this quantity to mid level dealers. Does it take into account how many times it's going to be cut after a first purchase? This dollar value has no meaning to me.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

I'd be happy if we just added products like there's, rightfully so IMO, in with the other 'sin tax' products.

People wonder how we're going to fund health care etc...there's your answer folks.

Great post.  Don't get me started on healthcare.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

I'd be happy if we just added products like there's, rightfully so IMO, in with the other 'sin tax' products.

People wonder how we're going to fund health care etc...there's your answer folks.

can we also slap this tax on the rednecks in this country who eat meat 7 days a week?

1 minute ago, GLASSJAW said:

can we also slap this tax on the rednecks in this country who eat meat 7 days a week?

That's part of the problem with the sin tax.  Applications can be boundless.  And the science isn't always accurate as to cause and effect.

Eggs used to be good for you.  Then they were bad.  Now it seems they are healthy again.  Anyone want to lay odds on whether a sin tax that would have been levied on eggs in the 90's would ever get repealed?

Some say some meats aren't healthy, and others will argue the opposite (IIRC, your anti-meat stance is cruelty-based... if so, good on you for that, even though I choose otherwise).

Some argue the crap that is in diet soda is worse than those with sugar.  Then there's HFCS, which is reportedly far worse than sugar.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

Not sure how the government would monitor that... stool samples?:unsure:

Damn, now there's a good government job just waiting to happen, right?

Archived