The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Sabres re-sign F Zemgus Girgensons [1 year x $1M]

Bigturk8

18 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Off topic: Why did Colorado trade O'Reilly for Grigorenko?

Was it a cap problem where they couldn't afford O'Reilly, Duschene, and Landeskog?

They can spend to the cap (in fact they are pretty much at the cap this year) but they have an internal salary structure that they want to stick to.  It starts from Duchene who is at 6M and they structure their salaries from there - he was their upper benchmark before MacKinnon (who they see as slightly better).  They didn't think O'Reilly was better than Duchene and he was looking for significantly more so they moved him.    

8 minutes ago, mll said:

They can spend to the cap (in fact they are pretty much at the cap this year) but they have an internal salary structure that they want to stick to.  It starts from Duchene who is at 6M and they structure their salaries from there - he was their upper benchmark before MacKinnon (who they see as slightly better).  They didn't think O'Reilly was better than Duchene and he was looking for significantly more so they moved him.    

Forgot they have MacKinnon too. They drafted high alot. 

3 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Struggled last year, but I think he will bounce back and have career-year, this year. Has good size, defensive acumen and offensive ability. He just needs to show more consistency offensively to make a greater impact in the league.

You're spot on in your assessment of him, but I'm not sure if he's going to pick it up this year especially since he'll probably be the 4th line center.

2 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Actually he wanted 8 Million.   The Sabres got a discount and are paying him 7.5 because they gave him a long term and heavily front loaded the contract.

Any chance that Bylsma and Co will consider Sam Reinhart moving to RW with Eichel on a more permanent basis? I know that they had some success playing together last season. 

37 minutes ago, pluralsight said:

Any chance that Bylsma and Co will consider Sam Reinhart moving to RW with Eichel on a more permanent basis? I know that they had some success playing together last season. 

Reinhart will definitely start the season on the 2nd line with Eichel.  The Sabres have plenty of centre depth so playing on Eichel's wing is the only way to keep Reinhart in the Top 6.

Archived