The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi Predictions

Sean Avery

22 minutes ago, davydgoliath said:

You know what, I predicted 47 points but I think if they have a right winger playing with them who fits better than Vrbata did last season, the sky is really the limit. 

I like your optimizim! 

It is a team sport alright.  On the offensive side, many nights, Vrby may as well not have been there.

So,  it depends on how Willie sets up the lines.  Does he go for balance or an offensive and defensive 2nd and 3rd line.  Given Willie's history and trouble playing the match up game, I predict he goes for balance.

The question then is does he put Baertschi with Sutter or Horvat?  Then, who on the right side?  Eriksson, Hansen, Virtanen, Rodin.

Baertschi could be the play maker that Sutter is not and I would expect Hansen on the right.

I wouldn't expect to see an inexperienced line like Baertschi Horvat Virtanten although in a couple of years this could be a dangerous line.

Having said all that, I have to agree with the consensus +/- 20-20-40

more if he plays with Eriksson

Obviously much depends on his linemates and deployment. 

He's been primarily a pass-first player his whole Jr/Pro career until last season for various reasons where he started shooting way more.

20g's, 40-45pts is completely realistic imo - anything over that is gravy.  

2 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect WD to try and spread out the scoring, keeping Hansen with the twins, and a 2nd line of Baer - Sutter - Eriksson. Eriksson will get PP time with the twins and probably a lot of Ozone starts, but I wouldn't count on all of our threats being together.

I know it seems unrealistic to almost double production, but I really think that "second line" could do some damage.

I was assuming WD would keep him with Horvat because of the chemistry they developed over the second half of last season and run with a line 2A and line 2b sort of thing. Although with Willy D you never know. 

I do think that the offensive zone starts will be going more to Horvats line and defensive zone starts will go more Sutters line, assuming that Sutter stays healthy that is. 

Benning says he's now up to 195lbs so hardly undersized. 20+ Goals and 40-50 points Is not out of the realm of reason provided he gets to play with Bo and get PP time. Same with Horvat but I think he can get anywhere from 45-60 points this year with the same provisions as Baertschi.

Of course it all depends on his playing time, but I think he should reach 15 goals again (15-20) and with his passing and skills with the puck he should be able to add 20-25 assists. Reaching 40 points in his second full season would be great. Obviously this is if they don't bring somebody else in that would push Sven down the depth chart. If he can reach these numbers, which I think he is capable of, would be interesting to see what he can do in his 3rd year which it seems is when young guys start to break out.

1 hour ago, davydgoliath said:

I was assuming WD would keep him with Horvat because of the chemistry they developed over the second half of last season and run with a line 2A and line 2b sort of thing. Although with Willy D you never know. 

I do think that the offensive zone starts will be going more to Horvats line and defensive zone starts will go more Sutters line, assuming that Sutter stays healthy that is. 

WD said flat out, he doesn't like playing Sven with Bo because it takes Bo away from his (Defensive) game. 

Considering Bo's prowess on the dot and the fact Willy sees Bo as a checking forward, I think we'll see the opposite as far as the zone starts go, but I've been wrong before.

4 minutes ago, luckylager said:

WD said flat out, he doesn't like playing Sven with Bo because it takes Bo away from his (Defensive) game. 

Considering Bo's prowess on the dot and the fact Willy sees Bo as a checking forward, I think we'll see the opposite as far as the zone starts go, but I've been wrong before.

Well, if you want to have a really offensive second, who should be center? Sutter? Granlund!

Sedin-Sedin-Hansen

Baertschi-Granlund-Eriksson

Etem-Horvat-Sutter

Burrows-Gaunce-Dorsett

You could start with this and look how it works, who knows. First two line for o-zone starts, three and four for d-zone starts.

10 minutes ago, the harry said:

Well, if you want to have a really offensive second, who should be center? Sutter? Granlund!

Sedin-Sedin-Hansen

Baertschi-Granlund-Eriksson

Etem-Horvat-Sutter

Burrows-Gaunce-Dorsett

You could start with this and look how it works, who knows. First two line for o-zone starts, three and four for d-zone starts.

Granlund would be a good choice if you wanted to start without the puck most of the time, and have someone who hasn't demonstrated much in the way of offensive consistency while here. In fact, he would be a great choice if that was the desire.

I don't hate Granlund, and I think he has more to give, but he needs to have one hell of an offseason working on FOs before I pencil him in between Baer and Eriksson.

9 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Granlund would be a good choice if you wanted to start without the puck most of the time, and have someone who hasn't demonstrated much in the way of offensive consistency while here. In fact, he would be a great choice if that was the desire.

I don't hate Granlund, and I think he has more to give, but he needs to have one hell of an offseason working on FOs before I pencil him in between Baer and Eriksson.

Your wish is my command.

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson

Baertschi-Sutter-Roedin

Etem-Horvat-Hansen

Virtanen-Granlund-Dorsett

First is all skill and on the others always one vet.

Sven with a solid 20/21/41 season, 0,5ppg.

8 minutes ago, the harry said:

Your wish is my command.

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson

Baertschi-Sutter-Roedin

Etem-Horvat-Hansen

Virtanen-Granlund-Dorsett

First is all skill and on the others always one vet.

Sven with a solid 20/21/41 season, 0,5ppg.

Not picking on you, these are just my opinions. I don't think Virt should be on our roster if he's destined for the 4th line. If he comes to camp and earns more minutes then so be it, but he should be in Utica playing more than 6-8 minutes a night. As for Rodin, wouldn't that be nice if he showed up and surprised? My hopes aren't too up, but it's possible he makes the team and pots around 15. 

It is a shame that Baer and Horvat won't be playing together, they had good offensive chemistry. I bet that before the end of the season they are back together, if only to try to get Baer going of he enters a slump of some sort.

3 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Obviously much depends on his linemates and deployment. 

He's been primarily a pass-first player his whole Jr/Pro career until last season for various reasons where he started shooting way more.

20g's, 40-45pts is completely realistic imo - anything over that is gravy.  

Once again Fanuck - you're too reasonable and speak too much sense  ^_^

20/20/40'ish is certainly attainable by any realistic measure. 

7 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Not picking on you, these are just my opinions. I don't think Virt should be on our roster if he's destined for the 4th line. If he comes to camp and earns more minutes then so be it, but he should be in Utica playing more than 6-8 minutes a night. As for Rodin, wouldn't that be nice if he showed up and surprised? My hopes aren't too up, but it's possible he makes the team and pots around 15. 

It is a shame that Baer and Horvat won't be playing together, they had good offensive chemistry. I bet that before the end of the season they are back together, if only to try to get Baer going of he enters a slump of some sort.

No no, you're right. It's a great group of young players growing up together, but you cannot pencil them in future lines already.

But all in all, I have a much better feeling than last year.

In my opinion the biggest weakness will not be the second line, the biggest weakness is the first defensive pairing which is below average, if you ask me.

Archived