The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi Predictions

Sean Avery

1 hour ago, luckylager said:

WD said flat out, he doesn't like playing Sven with Bo because it takes Bo away from his (Defensive) game. 

Considering Bo's prowess on the dot and the fact Willy sees Bo as a checking forward, I think we'll see the opposite as far as the zone starts go, but I've been wrong before.

All you say is true, friend. But in addition to that, we've also heard Willie D and Trader Jim talk about him having been in over his head a bit last year with some of the match ups because Sutter was out with injury. Apparently they weren't exactly comfortable with him in that role at this stage in his development. And it was certainly evident in his almost league worst plus minus stats. 

As for Willie seeing him as a checking forward, I think a two way forward is a better description. Once he got going midway through last year, he started scoring at an almost point per game pace and ended up, as a twenty year old second year player getting basically as many points as Sutter ever has in his six year career, in a single season. He obviously has the better offensive upside in my opinion. 

I have been wrong before too though and might be on this but Willy saying the checking forward thing might have been a comment more to remind Bo he has to play at both ends of the ice. Young forwards sometimes need to be reminded. I am really interested to see how the lines shake down though. Who knows with a coach like that. He definitely marches to the beat of his own drum.   

32 minutes ago, the harry said:

No no, you're right. It's a great group of young players growing up together, but you cannot pencil them in future lines already.

But all in all, I have a much better feeling than last year.

In my opinion the biggest weakness will not be the second line, the biggest weakness is the first defensive pairing which is below average, if you ask me.

Well we''ll find out soon enough. Football season is here so hockey is just around the corner!

If we compare Baertschi to Horvat in their first years and then project Baerstchi's second year to have equilavent percentage gains in shots, goals, and points, while maintaining his career shooting percentage we can make a prediction for his upcoming season. This assumes Beartschi has a similar softmore year to Bo, which is possible considering the similar numbers they put up in the first years as Canucks, with Bo's deployment in his first year compared to Baertschi's being the biggest difference as BO was a 4th liner for the most part.

GOALS

Bo had 1.367 shots per game in his first year and 1.89 shots per game in his second year for an increase of 38.3%

Sven had 1.565 shots per game last year and with an increase similar to Bo's in his second year he will have:

2.16 shots per game next year

Maintaining his 13% shooting percentage won't be easy, but if he can he will score:

0.281 goals per game
23 Goals in 82 games

ASSISTS

Horvat had 0.176 assists per game in his first year and 0.293 assists per game in his second year for an increase of 66%

Baertschi had 0.188 assists per game in his first year and with an increase similar to Bo's in his second year he will have:

0.313 assists per game

26 Assists Over 82 games

23 Goals and 26 Assists for 49 points next year if he plays all 82 games and has a similar uptick in production to Horvat in his second year as a Canuck.

8 minutes ago, Derp... said:

If we compare Baertschi to Horvat in their first years and then project Baerstchi's second year to have equilavent percentage gains in shots, goals, and points, while maintaining his career shooting percentage we can make a prediction for his upcoming season. This assumes Beartschi has a similar softmore year to Bo, which is possible considering the similar numbers they put up in the first years as Canucks, with Bo's deployment in his first year compared to Baertschi's being the biggest difference as BO was a 4th liner for the most part.

GOALS

Bo had 1.367 shots per game in his first year and 1.89 shots per game in his second year for an increase of 38.3%

Sven had 1.565 shots per game last year and with an increase similar to Bo's in his second year he will have:

2.16 shots per game next year

Maintaining his 13% shooting percentage won't be easy, but if he can he will score:

0.281 goals per game
23 Goals in 82 games

ASSISTS

Horvat had 0.176 assists per game in his first year and 0.293 assists per game in his second year for an increase of 66%

Baertschi had 0.188 assists per game in his first year and with an increase similar to Bo's in his second year he will have:

0.313 assists per game

26 Assists Over 82 games

23 Goals and 26 Assists for 49 points next year if he plays all 82 games and has a similar uptick in production to Horvat in his second year as a Canuck.

I didn't get any of the math, but if you ever get stranded on Mars, I bet on you to survive.  And anyone that can survive on Mars gets a plus.  

I just HOPE he doesn't get traded . . .   Talk with him plus others for Evander Kane which would just about finish me.   OMG,  all we have is Character and they might be thinking about replacing our CHARACTER guys with LACK of CHARACTER.    I sure it is all just rumours.   

6 minutes ago, Fanaholic said:

I just HOPE he doesn't get traded . . .   Talk with him plus others for Evander Kane which would just about finish me.   OMG,  all we have is Character and they might be thinking about replacing our CHARACTER guys with LACK of CHARACTER.    I sure it is all just rumours.   

If Kane only costs us Baer and something like the Torts second, that's friggin excellent!  Did you hear this as a rumor, or make it up yourself?

43 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If Kane only costs us Baer and something like the Torts second, that's friggin excellent!  Did you hear this as a rumor, or make it up yourself?

Read it on Sabres news somewhere but it isn't for sure.     Another person is accusing him of seriously injuring her - again, he is not accused but he could end up in bigger trouble then he already is.  Maybe his next team should be REHAB first.

I don't care if he can score goals he is more trouble then he is worth and his Lack of Character will kill this team.  It is all rumours but I didn't make it up.  Google:  Could Evander Kane be out of Buffalo and they are a few sites to read - again they are all just rumour and probably wishful thinking on Sabres part just to get rid of him.    

Guess we have a HUGE difference of opinion about him.

4 hours ago, davydgoliath said:

All you say is true, friend. But in addition to that, we've also heard Willie D and Trader Jim talk about him having been in over his head a bit last year with some of the match ups because Sutter was out with injury. Apparently they weren't exactly comfortable with him in that role at this stage in his development. And it was certainly evident in his almost league worst plus minus stats. 

As for Willie seeing him as a checking forward, I think a two way forward is a better description. Once he got going midway through last year, he started scoring at an almost point per game pace and ended up, as a twenty year old second year player getting basically as many points as Sutter ever has in his six year career, in a single season. He obviously has the better offensive upside in my opinion. 

I have been wrong before too though and might be on this but Willy saying the checking forward thing might have been a comment more to remind Bo he has to play at both ends of the ice. Young forwards sometimes need to be reminded. I am really interested to see how the lines shake down though. Who knows with a coach like that. He definitely marches to the beat of his own drum.   

Oh ya, for sure Bo was in over his head during Sutter's first injury, as you said, it was reflected in his brutal +/-. He did start to figure it out and hit his stride too, as you said.

I agree that Bo is a higher end offensive player than Sutter, and I can say that some of the most excited hockey the Canucks played last season was when Baer and Bo were on the same line. It's just too bad Willy had to poo-poo it all with his muttering about not liking Sven with Bo. It's one of the reasons I'm losing faith in the guy.

From what I remember remembering, Bo got caught too deep, twice, trying to support a down low cycle with Sven, and Vrbata didn't bother to bail him out. 

I'd love to see Baer-Bo-Eriksson, but I just feel like Willy's gonna Willy and play Sutter in the 2 hole.

When Sven came over a lot of people didn't know who he was. They didn't know his draft rank, his stats in Calgary, or the fact that he opted out because he (honestly) wasn't given a fair shake.

Him and Bo hit it off. If they keep those two together, or keep Sven in a top 6 role, I can easily see 20 goals for him.

In his draft year he had 34g in 66gp. Followed by 33g in 46gp. Dude can score. 

If we put him in a position of confidence, he will succeed.

2 hours ago, Fanaholic said:

Read it on Sabres news somewhere but it isn't for sure.     Another person is accusing him of seriously injuring her - again, he is not accused but he could end up in bigger trouble then he already is.  Maybe his next team should be REHAB first.

I don't care if he can score goals he is more trouble then he is worth and his Lack of Character will kill this team.  It is all rumours but I didn't make it up.  Google:  Could Evander Kane be out of Buffalo and they are a few sites to read - again they are all just rumour and probably wishful thinking on Sabres part just to get rid of him.    

Guess we have a HUGE difference of opinion about him.

If the guy helps win, then I'm for getting - providing the cost would be only Baer and that second.  If JB considers Kane's character would hurt us, then I don't want him.  I guess I'd just trust JB on this one.

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

45-50 range for Bo and Sven should be considered baseline.

I dono about Baseline, only 125 skaters scored 45 plus points last season.

That's about 4 players per team on average if all is equal. If both of them score 45 plus the sedins and Eriksson that would give us 5 skaters in the top 125 in the league.

Last year we had 2.

I'd say 45+ is the best we can hope for.

23 hours ago, IBatch said:

Baertschi is listed as a sleeper candidate in some of the Hockey Pool guides....the Forecaster has him  as the guy "one the rise" in Vancouver with 20g-22a...The Hockey News has him getting 35pts but they are often wrong.   If he gets decent PP time on the second unit with Bo, and Sutter gets his 20-20 (which is almost a for sure thing given his career and with his prorated production of last year in limited games played with a new team) and Jarvis shakes up special teams to make us less predictable, and Hutton progresses, it is easy to say Baertschi could get up to 50pts (maybe more?).   Which is about what you could hope for a second line winger these days.  

I believe that our 2nd PP line is going to both get more minutes and be better with Jarvis shaking things up and Baertschi's hands will be part of the reason for that.  

Also he's 23...and entering his break-out time period...

So with all this in mind - and the fact I am a believer- prediction is 10PP goals  26goals overall 25 assists - 51 pts, fourth in scoring overall (Horvat beats him by 3 pts).  

I really doubt he outscores both sedins and eriksson. I see him around the 45 pt mark 20-20 ish.

53 minutes ago, Munk said:

I really doubt he outscores both sedins and eriksson. I see him around the 45 pt mark 20-20 ish.

So you see those guys getting 50 points or less?  Break-outs usually come around year three....and I would be stoked if Bear got 45 points.

On ‎03‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 7:50 PM, luckylager said:

Oh ya, for sure Bo was in over his head during Sutter's first injury, as you said, it was reflected in his brutal +/-. He did start to figure it out and hit his stride too, as you said.

I agree that Bo is a higher end offensive player than Sutter, and I can say that some of the most excited hockey the Canucks played last season was when Baer and Bo were on the same line. It's just too bad Willy had to poo-poo it all with his muttering about not liking Sven with Bo. It's one of the reasons I'm losing faith in the guy.

From what I remember remembering, Bo got caught too deep, twice, trying to support a down low cycle with Sven, and Vrbata didn't bother to bail him out. 

I'd love to see Baer-Bo-Eriksson, but I just feel like Willy's gonna Willy and play Sutter in the 2 hole.

That's the way the season will start.  You may get your wish after Christmas.

Archived