The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lawrence Taylor Arrested For Drunk Driving And Sideswiping A Cop Car

SabreFan1

Since plenty of people here at least know the NFL greats like Lawrence Taylor, I figured I'd post this.

Also, How do you first hit a motorhome and then a cop car!  I can only guess that he's back using the "nose candy".  Mix that with alcohol and I guess

Lawrence Taylor, the Hall of Fame linebacker whose on-field brilliance was often overshadowed by his off-field problems, has been arrested again.

Taylor was arrested on suspicion of DUI on Friday, the Florida Highway Patrol confirmed to WPTV.

Police say Taylor was driving a Bentley on the Turnpike when he hit a motorhome, then sideswiped a patrol vehicle. No injuries were reported. Taylor was taken to the Palm Beach County Jail.

The 57-year-old Taylor was a 10-time first-team All-Pro, three-time Defensive Player of the Year, two-time Super Bowl champion and 1986 NFL MVP. But throughout his NFL career he was plagued by problems relating to substance abuse, problems that have continued into his retirement.

WPTV-Lawrence-Taylor-090316_147290218482

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/09/03/lawrence-taylor-arrested-for-drunk-driving/

9 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

Yeah, a DUI puts someone behind the wheel of over 1,000 lbs of steel that can, and does, kill innocent folks everyday. Buying $50 worth of crack? What a joke.

I gotta say....your guitar thing is the best.  That other falcons guitar thing is second best.  And I am not a guitar guy!

30 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

Yeah, a DUI puts someone behind the wheel of over 1,000 lbs of steel that can, and does, kill innocent folks everyday. Buying $50 worth of crack? What a joke.

What small arse car do you drive?  His Bentley weighs over 5,000 lbs. 

1 hour ago, falcon45ca said:

The punishment for both of them are about the same duration of time. Pretty comparable I'd say.

Say what you want about how little jail time people get for DUI, but that's the law for you.

6 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

The punishment for both of them are about the same duration of time. Pretty comparable I'd say.

Say what you want about how little jail time people get for DUI, but that's the law for you.

Possession shouldn't be a legal issue as it's a medical one. Governments are slowly starting to come around to that.

DUI is clearly a legal issue and should be treated as such. 

4 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Yes but this is the court of public opinion.

One was caught with illegal recreational drugs the other endangered not only his life but the lives of others by getting behind the wheel while inebriated. Even if the law hasn't caught up with the times, we as individuals have the capability to evaluate the severity of each crime.

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

There's only so much of your populace that you can put in prison.  The USA has the largest prison population in the world.  The sad truth is that you have to wait until a habitual drunk driver kills and/or maims one or more people until lengthy prison time is warranted.

17 hours ago, Dazzle said:

They're both serious crimes. Both involve jail time.

But I guess since he's a celebrity, he's different?

A possession charge is one thing.

A DUI should be a different thing. I'm not a fan of intoxicated people behind the wheel.

Swiping into a cop car after hitting a motor home? I sense escalated, and deserved, charges coming. I would agree & hope celebrity status is no shelter.

As much as I have argued possession, or use, should not be seen as shocking or on its own something we judge on? And we disagree on this point. But A drug addict who gets behind the wheel has to be stopped. One who rams a cop car doesn't even deserve bail.

18 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

A possession charge is one thing.

A DUI should be a different thing. I'm not a fan of intoxicated people behind the wheel.

Swiping into a cop car after hitting a motor home? I sense escalated, and deserved, charges coming. I would agree & hope celebrity status is no shelter.

As much as I have argued possession, or use, should not be seen as shocking or on its own something we judge on? And we disagree on this point. But A drug addict who gets behind the wheel has to be stopped. One who rams a cop car doesn't even deserve bail.

Possession should be pretty serious because you could opt to use it on yourself (which, if you overdose, you are sent right into the emergency room, clogging the room further) or you could sell it to someone, which might end up being the same. Furthermore, prolonged use of drugs DOES impact the body over a long period of time. Ultimately, you are going back into the medical system to fix the effects of the illegal substances that you used.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/03/us/lawrence-taylor-arrested-in-palm-beach-florida/

Sorry, it's a CNN link, but alcoholism and drugs are often both used at one point or another.

The drugs aren't the problem - it's people like Taylor that NEED to be given the place to fix his $&!#. Might be expensive or overly idealistic, but I digress.

Drug rehabs aren't 100 percent effective though.

On 2016/9/3 at 0:11 PM, SabreFan1 said:

There's only so much of your populace that you can put in prison.  The USA has the largest prison population in the world.  The sad truth is that you have to wait until a habitual drunk driver kills and/or maims one or more people until lengthy prison time is warranted.

It's not that people don't know DUIs are bad. They just do it anyway because they don't care enough about what their actions do to others. It's real unfortunate.

Archived