The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Opening Night Rookie

Blazer8717

1.Who do you think will make the Canucks roster opening night?

2. Who do you think is a darkhorse/unexpected player to make the team?

3. Who do you want to make the team this year?

1. Tryamkin. Was good in 13 game tryout. His long reach can bail him out if he's caught flat footed or out of position. Can't be knocked off the puck.

2. Jordan Subban. This guy could force the Canucks to give him a roster spot. Was one of the best players at last years Young Stars Tournament. Shocked they didn't give him any pre-season games. If given pre-season games this year I predict Subban will have a strong showing and earn a 9 game NHL tryout.

3. Jordan Subban. For same reasons as above, plus he scored 11 goals and 25 assists in 67 games in Utica last season. The Canucks could use his offense. I hope he's not overlooked because of his size. Seems like a really smart player, could be the next Torey Krug.

Your turn.

Subban will absolutely not make the Canucks this year. Travis Green had a few criticisms of the guy last season and that's at the AHL level. Tryamkin will have every opportunity and then some to make the team due to his contract. Stecher and Juolevi both definitely have a better chance of making the team then Subban. Rodin will have a good look as well. Gaunce is another guy that will have a decent look as well.

38 minutes ago, Blazer8717 said:

1.Who do you think will make the Canucks roster opening night?

2. Who do you think is a darkhorse/unexpected player to make the team?

3. Who do you want to make the team this year?

1. Tryamkin. Was good in 13 game tryout. His long reach can bail him out if he's caught flat footed or out of position. Can't be knocked off the puck.

2. Jordan Subban. This guy could force the Canucks to give him a roster spot. Was one of the best players at last years Young Stars Tournament. Shocked they didn't give him any pre-season games. If given pre-season games this year I predict Subban will have a strong showing and earn a 9 game NHL tryout.

3. Jordan Subban. For same reasons as above, plus he scored 11 goals and 25 assists in 67 games in Utica last season. The Canucks could use his offense. I hope he's not overlooked because of his size. Seems like a really smart player, could be the next Torey Krug.

Your turn.

The 9 game nhl try out is usually for CHL eligible players since After 9 games you burn à year off of their ELC. J Subbs will not get that look since hé is in thé AHL and is not waiver eligible, therefore hé will start in thé AHL and be à call up Unless hé blows training camp out of the water and forces à spot on thé team. 

1 hour ago, MiloFrenzy said:

Lets agree to disagree , J.Subban should have been a Forward / RW ,

Defence??? NHL ??? Someone set J.Subban on the wrong path .

Can always be moved up later. He's learning body positioning with his size so that will help with whatever position he plays.

His speed and puck handling skills could make him another marty st louis. I hope they at least try it if defense doesn't seem to be working for him at the NHL level (if it comes to that) before they give up / bury him in the AHL

I think Juolevi will be the Hanifin of this year. Solid young dman with high upside who imo has the hockey iq and skill to make the NHL at 18. Hes gonna be the guy to push Edler out and make us a solid team without him. By the time hes 20 he'll be our number one dman. Were lucky we got Juolevi, the kids special

I am really hoping Juolevi will get 1-9 games before being sent down just to show him what to expect and to motivate him during his workouts throughout the year. Hé would have to Light it up to stay because we have a great team déveloping him for us in thé OHL. I really want to see him for a bit though, hé is ESSENTIAL to our future core (on par with boeser horvat demko and hutton)

Try will get in.  Juolevi will go back to junior unless he leads the team in scoring during the pre-season...then the brass will be forced to make a big decision...they say he's going back, let's see if he can make them change their mind (he is good enough to do just that and hope he does).  

As for the original thread/post Subban needs to rip it up to earn a spot.  Personally I'm all for it, not a believer in Larsson, couldn't do it the first time around so not sure why the brass thinks he can now.  Our PP was terrible last year and hasn't been great for a while now and the point is a big part of that problem - why not give it a completely new look with a guy who can pass and score (not to mention the real Subban says the littlest Subban has the most skill in the family)?  Boston let Krug try out, we should do the same for Subban.  Making the playoffs is ok, but would rather start letting the young guys get in early and be better prepared for when the Sedins leave....

Rodin is a wild card for sure.  Him and Gaunce should battle it out for a roster spot - and likely end up on the second line for a try out.  

Edle Hutton Tanev Guddy and Try are the only locks on D IMO.  Sbisa should be worried.

8 hours ago, PlanB said:

Tryamkin is the only one I'd pencil in.

Other rookies will definitely be rotated into the lineup at various points,  but he's the one I'd pick for a permanent spot. 

I think Jake will find a spot as well. He's likely better off in the AHL but I just can't see the Nucks not wanting his size, speed and hitting in their lineup. If so, I think they are going to have to be smart about how he's used to ensure he starts developing his offensive game.

Archived