The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Defenceman Rankings #2

Hamhuis2

Best defenceman in the NHL #2  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Previous Results: 

#1-Erik Karlsson (34.0%)

Don't forget to comment who I should add for future polls down below! Feel free to share this page with friends, I'd like to get as many votes as possible, the more the better!

Thanks again! New polls will be up every 24-48 hours, depending on the amount of votes.

Voting: Drew Doughty

Nominating: John Klingberg

I gotta say I'm gunna go off the board a bit, I voted Victor Hedman.

He's been trending upward the last few years and he's already probably top 10 but I think this year could be the year he really affirms his status in the top group of Dmen, the cream of the crop in the league, I think he could have a Norris candidate year basically. You really see now why Gillis tried so hard to get him for us back in the day, special talent.

I'm going to Nominate Jay Bouwmesster, underappreciated defenseman. 

It was a tough call for me between Doughty and Burns, but I went with Burns, only because he had a really standout year.  If this question was asked the prior year, I would have gone with Doughty.

Burns does it all... hitting, scoring, he's the real deal.  And I don't know if it is a regular thing, but at least last season he was stellar in the playoffs.  He's brought the "what have you done for me lately" in spades.

Doughty is the better defenseman from a defensive perspective, no doubt.  He's far more cerebral and dynamic than Burns for sure.  But for me, Burns' physicality is one area where he blows Doughty away, and that puts him slightly ahead for me.

Voted Burns, just to keep Doughty from winning anything else, even the pole.  Nice to see Karlsson gets his props too, he is a generational talent that doesn't get enough press time.  Scores at Coffey/Orr rates, and hasn't even peaked yet.  I know Doughty is good, I just don't think he is better than Keith, Weber, Letang, or Burns.  Or Subban.  

Voting for Kris Letang, possibly the most underrated star defenseman in the NHL right now. He scores, shuts down the opposition, and hits. He really does everything you need a defenseman to do.

I'll nominate Klingberg.

18 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Voted Burns, just to keep Doughty from winning anything else, even the pole.  

I'm half tempted to do this. To me, Doughty is among the most over-rated defensemen in the League today.

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I gotta say I'm gunna go off the board a bit, I voted Victor Hedman.

He's been trending upward the last few years and he's already probably top 10 but I think this year could be the year he really affirms his status in the top group of Dmen, the cream of the crop in the league, I think he could have a Norris candidate year basically. You really see now why Gillis tried so hard to get him for us back in the day, special talent.

I'm going to Nominate Jay Bouwmesster, underappreciated defenseman. 

I voted Doughty. Just dominated the puck at the Olympics. I thought he was our best player. And in the SCF's. In the biggest and toughest of situations.

But Hedman is coming into his prime. And has upside to his game yet.  He could easily pass all but Karlsson very soon...Me thinks he will also have several cracks at moments like the Stanley Cup!

52 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

I'm half tempted to do this. To me, Doughty is among the most over-rated defensemen in the League today.

Yes, there are other guys out there that do what he does and get 1/5 of the press he does.  Have been saying or years that if Weber scored two at the Olympics it would have been ho-hum business as usual.  It's not that I don't think this guys good, he obviously is, just not as good as Letang, Weber, Subban, Keith and of course Karlsson (who doesn't get nearly enough love, despite playing on a different planet than the rest of his peers in on a dreadfully medicore at best Ottawa squad).  Yet he has been labelled the Brad Park of our times...well that doesn't work anymore.  Nice to see a like mind brave enough to stand against the tide.  

Archived