The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks future 1C

MeanSeanBean

Future 1C  

195 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yes, Bo is very comparable to Henrik at that point in their careers, but one thing that is not being said here is that Henrik then exceeded a lot of people's expectations in terms of points growth soon after those first 3 years - he went from 42 points to 75 points in 1 year! It's very dangerous to extrapolate a player's points production based on any of the Sedins' early career numbers - are we saying here that a decent percentage (even one-third seems crazy) of the forwards who had those similar number of points after their sophomore season will have a good chance of becoming first-line forwards?

20 hours ago, kloubek said:

Just because the media expects us to finish low doesn't mean we will.   No,  we won't compete for the cup,  but we should really make the playoffs.   I'm one of the ones who say we don't have the assets,  and we likely won't....  Even come to this seasons close.

11 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

2.  I would be very surprised if the Canucks had a top 5 pick again next year.  Let alone trade it + Jordan Subban for Sam Reinhart.  It would take a second perfect storm to pick that high.  As a bubble team, I think that the Canucks will be looking at a 15th OA draft pick next season.  The so called media critics either have blinders on or are biased.  Does anybody believe what they say any more?

Benning has consistently been keeping his 1st round picks.  I would be very surprised if he traded it.  There is a chance that he would for the right player.  Is that Sam Reinhart?  Granted, the Sabres are committed to O'Reilly and Eichel as their 1 & 2 centres so the Sabres could be wanting to move Reinhart for the right price.  Reinhart was the 2nd OA draft pick in 2014 so they would want similar value for him.

I never stated for a certainty that we would be finishing last or near the bottom (trust me, I get the media's BS assessments). I only stated what the current "perception" is about that pick...and that "perception" is enough to boost the value of our 2017RD1. Who's first is worth more next year...ours or Washington's? The point being that until we're at least halfway through the season, it's ALL just speculation and conjecture. Right now ours is worth more...more than most team's 1st...therefore (and this was my main point about it being a valuable asset) we might be able to parlay that "perception" into something more worthwhile in the both the short-term AND the long-term. If we wait until the season starts, and we actually do better than the "perception", we might start losing value in that pick. Again, just to be clear, I feel our 1st IS a valuable asset now that we might be able to convert, rather than waiting and either losing value (by doing better) or not having the player we want (a future 1C) available when we draft...therefore we are 1 year later and right back here having this same discussion in 12 months...1 year closer to Hank retiring as our 1C.

1 hour ago, ABNuck said:

I never stated for a certainty that we would be finishing last or near the bottom (trust me, I get the media's BS assessments). I only stated what the current "perception" is about that pick...and that "perception" is enough to boost the value of our 2017RD1. Who's first is worth more next year...ours or Washington's? The point being that until we're at least halfway through the season, it's ALL just speculation and conjecture. Right now ours is worth more...more than most team's 1st...therefore (and this was my main point about it being a valuable asset) we might be able to parlay that "perception" into something more worthwhile in the both the short-term AND the long-term. If we wait until the season starts, and we actually do better than the "perception", we might start losing value in that pick. Again, just to be clear, I feel our 1st IS a valuable asset now that we might be able to convert, rather than waiting and either losing value (by doing better) or not having the player we want (a future 1C) available when we draft...therefore we are 1 year later and right back here having this same discussion in 12 months...1 year closer to Hank retiring as our 1C.

Thanks, my post was about clearing up what I took to be a misunderstanding.  I gather, yours was too.  So we're even :)

Having said that, I think it will be difficult to trade a 1st round draft pick until other teams have a notion as to it's value.  We understand that there is a big difference between success rates for top 5 picks and picks further along in the 1st round.  Reinhart isn't going for a 15th pick and a maybe like Subban.  

I think that you've identified a player (Reinhart) that may be on the market for the right price.  I don't think that the Canucks have the assets at this time.  Then again, another poster, I think JR, had identified Gudbranson as a possible player who could be had at the right price and most people thought that the Canucks didn't have the right pieces at that time either.

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

Thanks, my post was about clearing up what I took to be a misunderstanding.  I gather, yours was too.  So we're even :)

Having said that, I think it will be difficult to trade a 1st round draft pick until other teams have a notion as to it's value.  We understand that there is a big difference between success rates for top 5 picks and picks further along in the 1st round. 

I do agree with him that it is likely to be worth more now than later,  as most are predicting another basement dweller performance from our club. 

I'm more thinking unless Benning pulled a fast one on another gm,  we don't have enough to add to that to get a sure fire,  soon to be elite centre.  Any players we do have worth anything are wingers,  and likely needed to increase the chances of having a decent future top six. 

We still have Hank,  so that does buy us some time....  Especially if the Sedins decide to sign an extension.   Horvat will be fine in the 2nd center role soon enough.

I think Bo Horvat will impress and become a number 1 center, the likes of a Ryan Oreilly, David Backes type player. If we could get another center to bounce off of him, then yeah, he would be pushed to second line. But he provides a stable center presence with offensive skills so more offensive wingers can flourish. Although not a top end 1c, capable of playing it in times of need. The kid works hard and wants it bad.

On 09/09/2016 at 3:27 AM, PrinceGeorgeGoon said:

Noone 2 years in or at any point prior predicted the awkward, skinny sisters would be canucks GOAT and NHL royalty. As for Horvat.... keep your eyes open. To me this kid has it all. However I'm a millwright not a hockey analyst or analytics expert. I want horvat to be captain because above all else I value hardwood and a dedicated warrior.

there were some of us here calling for patience for the twins and that they would be franchise players.

On 08/09/2016 at 2:52 PM, googlesixtherapper said:

ok in my opinion not that it matters or written in stone..i love bo. but but but !! ive seen both him and brock play. bo is not even a 5 compared to brock on a scale of 1 to 10 . brock is a true beast, better in all aspects compared to bo...sorry bo if u reading this still love ya but brock is the man. bo will be a  second line center his whole nhl career..

Brock is a Winger...

Wow.....I know most of the rats have left the sinking ship and only the rose-colored die-hards remain,

But this is some serious overrating of Horvat, the guy will probably poke his head above 50pts for a few seasons, but a #1 center?

NOPE!

The answer is: None of the above, we most likely had the assets to move up and get that position filled over the last few drafts but instead the team has played it safe.

Now it's starting to look as if the Canucks have rounded themselves into a solid "Middle of the pack, just missed the playoffs" kind of squad. Which means our opportunity to shoot for the moon has passed.

You may be on your second to third marriage, or have served a significant jail sentence before we see another #1 center around these parts again,

In case you haven't heard there Farm boy, it's DROUGHTt season in these here parts. And according to Aqua-man (Pun) we need to drink our pee and LIKE IT!

18 hours ago, Alflives said:

Tanev for Reinhart.  It's a fair trade for both teams.  JB should get off his butt, and get this (clearly obvious) trade done.  What's he doing anyway?

Hey! We agree on something! Neat!

I'll take it a step further and say Reinhart should have been acquired at his draft. As for right now, Horvat stays but anything else is fair game.

We need this, it's so f%^&king obvious. I think JB and Trev have already tried to go in this direction and Aqua has stopped them, but Reinhart is ripe for the picking, it's time. What gets the deal done? We agree to take on Kane's contract. Buffalo couldn't give us Sam fast enough if we take that burden off them.

Is Reinhart worth it you say? THE GAMBLE MUST BE TAKEN, and at this point that's more important to restructuring the chemistry of this team than the player coming back.

4 minutes ago, terrible.dee said:

I'll take it a step further and say Reinhart should have been acquired at his draft. As for right now, Horvat stays but anything else is fair game.

We need this, it's so f%^&king obvious. I think JB and Trev have already tried to go in this direction and Aqua has stopped them, but Reinhart is ripe for the picking, it's time. What gets the deal done? We agree to take on Kane's contract. Buffalo couldn't give us Sam fast enough if we take that burden off them.

Is Reinhart worth it you say? THE GAMBLE MUST BE TAKEN, and at this point that's more important to restructuring the chemistry of this team than the player coming back.

Probably would be the blockbuster trade of the new season if this were to happen,Virtannen,Hansen, either or Tanev-Edler + a first an second in  2018.

the owners sure as heck are not gonna allow it to happen , but one can have inspiration from prospective deals that potentially happen 

56 minutes ago, terrible.dee said:

47 minutes ago, bobbyg43 said:

Probably would be the blockbuster trade of the new season if this were to happen,Virtannen,Hansen, either or Tanev-Edler + a first an second in  2018.

the owners sure as heck are not gonna allow it to happen , but one can have inspiration from prospective deals that potentially happen 

You both imply our ownership will not allowing this.  I heard on 1040 last week that Aqualini insisted the team make the playoffs, and he had ZERO interest in rebuilding.  Is this kind of what you are both getting at?  I mean Tanev and Hansen to get Reinhart would take us back a step.

I don't see Horvat being a #1 but it would be a pleasant surprise if he does.

Unless we pull a Boston and absolutely fleece someone on a deal for an elite forward, I don't think we have the assets to get ourselves a #1 through a trade.

A formidable #1 centre, in my opinion, would have to come through the draft. 

Archived