The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The BC Real Estate Discussion Thread

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Thanks mate.  Honestly stars aligned like nothing else.  I know the owner as we're old friends.   Didn't realize he'd put the place up at all.  Messaged him and he said it's listed for X give me a fair offer.  So I did, went back and forth and signed the vacate notice for his tenants the other day.  Gave them 60 days+ to make sure they weren't rushed out for the holidays and a couple of rental listings from people we know for them so they weren't screwed over for a place during the winter.

Home inspection report on the high end will be about $17,000 to clear.  Most of that is regarding foundation and grading of the property.  Old crawl space, no drainage; rats in it.  HVAC system needs to be moved.  2 sewer lines and only 1 goes to the street other too????

Lifting the house and putting in a proper foundation will cost about $40,000; $45,000 if we make it a walk out access.  Another $15,000 to reset the garage after and move the HVAC and hot water tank to the basement mechanical room after it's done.  So all in about $60,000 on the foundation.  Need to remodel the back 1/3 of the house, kitchen bath and 2 odd rooms.  Take out a door, move a window.  So yes lots of work and I know cost overruns...but it will be ours. and nobody else's.  The only comparable we've found for this size of 1480 in a house is about $520,000.  

Once we've lifted it and put in the basement it will have effectively doubled the space and the only comparable in and around the 2600+ sq ft range with a new bathroom, new kitchen and garage/backyard are closer to $700,000

We're stoked man.  Luckily we're not doing much with or about wood and I know the local contractors and supply stores so getting it all at cost or reduced won't be an issue

image.png.6f1249f3ac7bc6b1bde5505bc9cf6cc7.png

thats great. You would have really hated Alberta. 

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

thats great. You would have really hated Alberta. 

We pulled the plug after the new government got elected.

After seeing what they've done to things and property values.  We pulled the plug.

• Hydration 1
7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

We pulled the plug after the new government got elected.

After seeing what they've done to things and property values.  We pulled the plug.

wise move. 

Not sure what your plans are for the basement. We redid ours (1947 rancher) and went with foam against the cement with furring strips for putting up the paperless drywall over top instead of building out a  traditional wood frame wall. The foam is the insulation and the vapour barrier so its pretty slick. Its really easy and warm as heck. 

Curious to hear what that second sewer line does.... 

Edited by Robert Long
  • Hydration 1
3 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

Curious to hear what that second sewer line does.... 

Guessing it originally went to a septic and then they added city sewer later...?

Congrats @Warhippy and I'm with Jimmy/Robert. You would have hated Alberta :lol:

FWIW, we're LOVING our place over on the island. Only three years old vacation home that was only lived/vacationed in for about 6 months of those three years. 2400 sqft and backs on to green space and a trail system that the boys and I have been exploring all summer and fall. Got to see salmon spawning up the creek a few times in the last few weeks as well :)

Been busy building fencing to keep deer out of the raised garden beds I've also been building for the wife. Oh and building a nice new king bed frame as well. The house itself, thankfully, doesn't need much of anything.

• Hydration 2