The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The BC Real Estate Discussion Thread

Harvey Spector

Here we go, just as I predicted...

That is the first class action lawsuit of many I assume. Rocco Galati, the lawyer who took down Stephen Harper and his government, is also involved and may file as well. 

Hang on folks, this is gonna be a bumpy ride. Between this and the US election we may not have time to talk any hockey!!

Let's see how Christy gets out of this one...

8 hours ago, One one two said:

Certainly I don't appreciate the Clark government and think its latency on these issues is appalling, but this seems like a big step forward and I really don't see why we're against it.

I'm not against the initiative I'm angry like a lot of other people that it took this government 5 years to actually do something and only when the public started to get angry and their was an outcry. 

Before this year Christy and her cronies were more than happy for this market to be going crazy and taking people's money in the form of the property transfer tax, higher property taxes, rezonong and other fees from developers, etc. They currently have a ONE BILLION DOLLAR surplus from all of their real estate revenue because of all the foreign buying and building. 

And now when prices are to the point where not even local lawyers and doctors can afford to buy an average house in East Vancouver and the average person can't find decent rental accommodation Christy finally does something about it and introduces a potentially illegal tax that is NOW being challenged in court in a multi million dollar class action lawsuit simply to pander to the masses for election votes as well as introducing a $500 million expenditure for affordable housing, money she is getting directly from the profits of her government's 15 year old Ponzi scheme. 

We we will see what happens but if this class action lawsuit has any legs and if the real estate market starts to free fall and tanks the economy as a result, Christy and her government could be in ALOT of trouble. 

6 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

I'm not against the initiative I'm angry like a lot of other people that it took this government 5 years to actually do something and only when the public started to get angry and their was an outcry. 

Before this year Christy and her cronies were more than happy for this market to be going crazy and taking people's money in the form of the property transfer tax, higher property taxes, rezonong and other fees from developers, etc. They currently have a ONE BILLION DOLLAR surplus from all of their real estate revenue because of all the foreign buying and building. 

And now when prices are to the point where not even local lawyers and doctors can afford to buy an average house in East Vancouver and the average person can't find decent rental accommodation Christy finally does something about it and introduces a potentially illegal tax that is NOW being challenged in court in a multi million dollar class action lawsuit simply to pander to the masses for election votes as well as introducing a $500 million expenditure for affordable housing, money she is getting directly from the profits of her government's 15 year old Ponzi scheme. 

We we will see what happens but if this class action lawsuit has any legs and if the real estate market starts to free fall and tanks the economy as a result, Christy and her government could be in ALOT of trouble. 

Exactly. Thank you for putting it so succinctly, Harvey. This Liberal government has proven without a shadow of a doubt that the well being of the citizens of BC is of absolutely zero importance to them.

They are the scum of the earth. Hopefully the fallout ruins her and her entire list of cronies.

24 minutes ago, taxi said:

I know we are meant to feel sorry for the student, but what was a student doing buying a $500k+ home with a $3000+/month mortgage? Particularly in a country where you are not a resident. This student may actually come out ahead walking away from their deposit. If prices continue to dip, the dip may far exceed the 10% down payment.

I'm also curious what school this person was attending that necessitated buying a property in Langley. Trinity Western is getting a lot of exchange students from China  now?

She wasn't a student anymore. She just graduated from the University of Saskatchewan last year, was renting in Burnaby and decided to put permanent roots in Vancouver and bought a place in Langley. You can't get a townhouse that cheap in Burnaby so that is probably why she bought in Langley, it had nothing to do with school. 

Also a $500k mortgage wouldn't be $3000 per month payment it would be just over $2000 per month plus her maintenance fee of perhaps $200 per month. If she's buying a townhouse I'm Langley it's probably a 2 bedroom and they are quite large so she may rent out the second bedroom to get extra revenue. I know a lot of people who do that, buy a 2 bedroom instead of a one bedroom with 2 bathrooms and rent out the other room for $500 per month to a student. 

• Upvote 1

Wow, they are already behind in the polls and the class action lawsuit JUST started and the real estate market hasn't tanked, YET. Wonder how these numbers will look in 3 months...

B.C. NDP lead B.C. Liberals in new poll

VICTORIA — B.C.’s New Democrats have a lead in popularity over the B.C. Liberals eight months before the provincial election, according to a new poll, but the race remains virtually tied in the key battleground ridings in Metro Vancouver.

A new Mainstreet Research poll, conducted for Postmedia News, found 38 per cent of decided and leaning voters in B.C. favour the provincial NDP — a five-point lead over the governing Liberals, who sit at 33 per cent. The B.C. Greens had 16 per cent support and the B.C. Conservatives 14 per cent.

“While the NDP currently has a five-per-cent lead over the Liberals, the NDP have led in the polls before only to be disappointed when the votes are counted,” said Quito Maggi, president of Mainstreet Research, in a reference to the NDP’s vast lead in polls but eventual loss in the 2013 election. “What should concern them is many more British Columbians don’t know where they stand compared to the Liberals.”

The NDP’s popularity is largely boosted by its dominance of Vancouver Island (48 per cent), where the party holds 11 of 14 seats. The Liberals remain more popular in the interior (36 per cent), where they won seats at the NDP’s expense in the last election, according to the poll.

Poll

The two parties are almost within the poll’s margin of error in Greater Vancouver, which is expected be the main battleground in the May 2017 election because it holds many of the swing ridings and almost half of the seats in the legislature.

“We’re seeing three different British Columbias,” said Maggi.

“However there is weakness in the NDP’s support. While 50 per cent of voters say the economy will be important when casting their ballot, only 21 per cent say the NDP are focused on job creation compared to 41 per cent for the Liberals.”

Mainstreet surveyed a random sample of 2,207 B.C. residents by landline and cellphone on Sept. 7 and 8. The poll has a margin of error of +/- 2.09 per cent, 19 times out of 20 and the results were weighed by age and gender based upon the census.

The NDP and Liberals have traded leads in polls by other companies this year. The weighted average by website ThreeHundredEight.com of three previous polls in May and August had the Liberals at 38.5 per cent approval, compared to 31.6 per cent for the NDP and 14.5 per cent for the Greens and 13.6 per cent for the Conservatives.

The Mainstreet poll found relatively high optimism about the economy and personal finances, which is expected to be the key re-election focus of the B.C. Liberals. Yet one in three voters polled were also unsure if the province was headed in the right direction.

“It doesn’t look like either party has been successful in selling a narrative about the state of the province,” Maggi wrote in his poll report.

B.C. remains split on the proposal by Kinder Morgan to twin its Trans Mountain oil pipeline, which runs from Alberta to Burnaby, according to the poll. Almost 43 per cent of people polled were opposed, 42 per cent were in favour and 15 per cent were undecided. Greater Vancouver residents were similarly divided on the pipeline project, with the highest opposition registering on Vancouver Island.

”Despite their own personal opposition it does look like some British Columbians have begun to accept the Kinder Morgan pipeline expansion may be approved regardless,” said Maggi.

“These numbers are very similar to the ones we have found in British Columbia in previous polling.”

Ottawa is set to decide on the $6.8 billion project by Dec. 19. 

The B.C. government’s climate change plan — which was attacked by many environmental groups for not immediately raising the carbon tax — also appears not to have caught the public’s attention, with the poll showing the majority of people polled hadn’t followed news of the plan and 36 per cent had no opinion.

rshaw@postmedia.com

twitter.com/robshaw_vansun

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Well, here it is.  The first class action of what could be many.  This one though under the grounds of "racism" won't stand a chance because it is hard to prove racism against EVERYONE based on them simply being foreign purchasers.

They are not going after the "race" card per se, it's all about breaking about 30 international treaties in regards to the NAFTA agreement and other international agreements Canada has, one specifically with China.  Barry Appleton, a lawyer who specializes in NAFTA and wrote two books on the subject, talked about this last month and said these foreigners will have a strong case against the government.  Also, NAFTA is federally regulated, so the suit also implies that Christy overstepped her boundaries as a provincial government to enact such a tax that would effectively break international treaties that are under the watch of the federal government.

There might be more lawsuits coming, especially if the BC Supreme Court allows this one to move forward.  It's gonna get ugly.  

Edited by Harvey Spector

5 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

I wish I understood exactly what was done.   like I have a vague idea like a lot of us but for me at least it's a confusing situation.  hope from reading more I can gain a better understanding.  I'm not sure why she would be in trouble with making $$ for the gov.  I get the whole potentially illegal tax thing but the rest is over my head.  good thing I'm not responsible for keeping these people in line lol.

6 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

Here we go, just as I predicted...

That is the first class action lawsuit of many I assume. Rocco Galati, the lawyer who took down Stephen Harper and his government, is also involved and may file as well. 

Hang on folks, this is gonna be a bumpy ride. Between this and the US election we may not have time to talk any hockey!!

Let's see how Christy gets out of this one...

The cost to tax payers to defend this is going to into her cash cow in a hurry. I imagine the foreign tax to get 'enhanced' to cover all of bc as soon as the cost to defend starts piling up.

5 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

Wow, they are already behind in the polls and the class action lawsuit JUST started and the real estate market hasn't tanked, YET. Wonder how these numbers will look in 3 months...

B.C. NDP lead B.C. Liberals in new poll

VICTORIA — B.C.’s New Democrats have a lead in popularity over the B.C. Liberals eight months before the provincial election, according to a new poll, but the race remains virtually tied in the key battleground ridings in Metro Vancouver.

A new Mainstreet Research poll, conducted for Postmedia News, found 38 per cent of decided and leaning voters in B.C. favour the provincial NDP — a five-point lead over the governing Liberals, who sit at 33 per cent. The B.C. Greens had 16 per cent support and the B.C. Conservatives 14 per cent.

“While the NDP currently has a five-per-cent lead over the Liberals, the NDP have led in the polls before only to be disappointed when the votes are counted,” said Quito Maggi, president of Mainstreet Research, in a reference to the NDP’s vast lead in polls but eventual loss in the 2013 election. “What should concern them is many more British Columbians don’t know where they stand compared to the Liberals.”

The NDP’s popularity is largely boosted by its dominance of Vancouver Island (48 per cent), where the party holds 11 of 14 seats. The Liberals remain more popular in the interior (36 per cent), where they won seats at the NDP’s expense in the last election, according to the poll.

Poll

The two parties are almost within the poll’s margin of error in Greater Vancouver, which is expected be the main battleground in the May 2017 election because it holds many of the swing ridings and almost half of the seats in the legislature.

“We’re seeing three different British Columbias,” said Maggi.

“However there is weakness in the NDP’s support. While 50 per cent of voters say the economy will be important when casting their ballot, only 21 per cent say the NDP are focused on job creation compared to 41 per cent for the Liberals.”

Mainstreet surveyed a random sample of 2,207 B.C. residents by landline and cellphone on Sept. 7 and 8. The poll has a margin of error of +/- 2.09 per cent, 19 times out of 20 and the results were weighed by age and gender based upon the census.

The NDP and Liberals have traded leads in polls by other companies this year. The weighted average by website ThreeHundredEight.com of three previous polls in May and August had the Liberals at 38.5 per cent approval, compared to 31.6 per cent for the NDP and 14.5 per cent for the Greens and 13.6 per cent for the Conservatives.

The Mainstreet poll found relatively high optimism about the economy and personal finances, which is expected to be the key re-election focus of the B.C. Liberals. Yet one in three voters polled were also unsure if the province was headed in the right direction.

“It doesn’t look like either party has been successful in selling a narrative about the state of the province,” Maggi wrote in his poll report.

B.C. remains split on the proposal by Kinder Morgan to twin its Trans Mountain oil pipeline, which runs from Alberta to Burnaby, according to the poll. Almost 43 per cent of people polled were opposed, 42 per cent were in favour and 15 per cent were undecided. Greater Vancouver residents were similarly divided on the pipeline project, with the highest opposition registering on Vancouver Island.

”Despite their own personal opposition it does look like some British Columbians have begun to accept the Kinder Morgan pipeline expansion may be approved regardless,” said Maggi.

“These numbers are very similar to the ones we have found in British Columbia in previous polling.”

Ottawa is set to decide on the $6.8 billion project by Dec. 19. 

The B.C. government’s climate change plan — which was attacked by many environmental groups for not immediately raising the carbon tax — also appears not to have caught the public’s attention, with the poll showing the majority of people polled hadn’t followed news of the plan and 36 per cent had no opinion.

rshaw@postmedia.com

twitter.com/robshaw_vansun

Hard not to vote NDP at this point. 

43 minutes ago, Realtor Rod said:

Hard not to vote NDP at this point. 

Voting for NDP will not solve the housing crisis.  What can the NDP do?  Absolutely nothing because market forces are at work.

The problem is 30,000 - 50,000 people are coming into Metro Vancouver.   They have to live somewhere and if they want to live in a detached home, forget it.   They are simply no more land to build more detached housing in Vancouver or the suburbs.

Even rental housing is at a premium.   What is the vacancy rate in Vancouver?  Less than 1%.

One solution is higher density but every time that is proposed neighbourhoods scream and yell no way.

I personally would vote for whoever could bring the housing prices down.  Im 28 and unable to buy a townhouse let alone a house.

if my partner and I had a family we would be paying exorbitant rental prices just to survive.  thankfully prices are a little better on the island but they are still to much. 

we recently saw a 3 bedroom townhome sell for 450k.  we loved the place but we couldn't bring ourselves to pay that given just a few years ago we could of purchased a house at that price. 

I hope somehow this whole debactle can be resolved.  hopefully closer to the election we will have a better idea of what if anything these politicians can do to ease the housing crisis.

7 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

not trying to quote you. phone being silly.

The NDP won't solve anything this is true. But maybe Christy will pull a Gordon Campbell and resign. Once the lawsuits pile up and the extra cash is being spent defending herself instead of building affordable housing she may not have a choice. Remember a tax and how it was implemented is what took down Campbell as well. That tax, the infamous HST, no longer exists. If the lawsuits prevail this 15% foreign buyers tax may go the same route. 

3 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I personally would vote for whoever could bring the housing prices down.  Im 28 and unable to buy a townhouse let alone a house.

if my partner and I had a family we would be paying exorbitant rental prices just to survive.  thankfully prices are a little better on the island but they are still to much. 

we recently saw a 3 bedroom townhome sell for 450k.  we loved the place but we couldn't bring ourselves to pay that given just a few years ago we could of purchased a house at that price. 

I hope somehow this whole debactle can be resolved.  hopefully closer to the election we will have a better idea of what if anything these politicians can do to ease the housing crisis.

You should have jumped on that townhouse. Prices in Victoria will continue to climb as there is no 15% foreign buyers tax there. ALOT of foreigners are buying there as we speak. Prices will still rise before they fall. Christy will most likely have to implement the tax province wide in order to cover the costs of all the lawsuits. But until such time Victoria is a booming market. 

1 hour ago, Realtor Rod said:

The cost to tax payers to defend this is going to into her cash cow in a hurry. I imagine the foreign tax to get 'enhanced' to cover all of bc as soon as the cost to defend starts piling up.

Damn you just gave Christy a great idea on how to collect more revenues.... :o

I have it on good authority she reads this thread daily for information.... B)

Edited by Harvey Spector

3 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

You should have jumped on that townhouse. Prices in Victoria will continue to climb as there is no 15% foreign buyers tax there. ALOT of foreigners are buying there as we speak. Prices will still rise before they fall. Christy will most likely have to implement the tax province wide in order to cover the costs of all the lawsuits. But until such time Victoria is a booming market. 

we could of but my partner has concerns about the market.  I do too.  we are planning on waiting it out until the new year and see what happens.  

we've faced the fact we may need to move too the interior/alberta/Ontario if things don't improve.  

do you think there is any chance things could normalize in the next 2 years?

we are currently living with family so our expenses are much lower.  this is allowing us too save up a lot in the meantime.  what are your thoughts?

12 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

we could of but my partner has concerns about the market.  I do too.  we are planning on waiting it out until the new year and see what happens.  

we've faced the fact we may need to move too the interior/alberta/Ontario if things don't improve.  

do you think there is any chance things could normalize in the next 2 years?

we are currently living with family so our expenses are much lower.  this is allowing us too save up a lot in the meantime.  what are your thoughts?

That's great that you can live with your family. That will allow you to save a lot of money for a down payment. In terms of the next two years it all depends on what happens with interest rates, these lawsuits, supply and what the government does in the future. 2 years is hard to gauge. I would say at the very least that over the next 6 months we will have ALOT of instability. Prices for single family detached homes may drop 30% over the next 4-6 months, especially in Metro Vancouver. That would bring us back to last years prices. With a 40% drop we'd go back to around early 2014. 

At at the end of the day even with a market crash of 40% or more the reality is most people will stil notl be able to afford a detached home in the city. So if you are looking to buy a house then you're best bet is to try and get one on the Island or somewhere in the suburbs or the interior. Maybe by next summer prices in those areas might be in line with your budget. 

Edited by Harvey Spector