The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Did the Canucks Tank on Purpose last Year

vancan2233

Just now, Warhippy said:

Tanking starts in the off season.  It ends when management starts shipping out or demoting healthy bodies for rookies and plugs.

No, we did not tank.

Markus Granlund | #60 | Centre talk :

RWMc1

• Canucks Rookie
  •  
  • RWMc1
  • Members
  • 1,815 posts
3 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

No way to know at this point. Shinkaruk hasn't put the time in the gym to make me think he can play in the NHL. His arms are like pipe cleaners and he doesn't have the elusiveness to get him out of trouble. He took some hits last year that made him look very fragile. I'm a fan, but I think that it was a good idea to sell high on Shinkaruk. Granlund is basically the same player just a year older and plays C/LW. Canucks all of a sudden have a whole bunch of players that can play multiple positions. 

The PTO of Ruutu is a conscious effort to bring in a Finnish element to the team just as Granlund was. I truly believe that Benning read the situation perfectly. He knew they weren't going to make a push for the playoffs when Hamhuis had his face smashed by a puck etc. and decided to try as many prospects as possible in the hope that we could get into the top 3 and get a Fin. People don't seem to realize that we intentionally tanked last year... and that's it. We aren't going to continually try to suck for draft position. It's a terrible strategy and involves too much luck to be considered intelligent. With the Sedins here, a Jennings candidate duo in net and an increasingly better Defense, Canucks are a dangerous team every night. 

My guess is that Shinkaruk is in Stockton and Granlund is in Vancouver. If that's the case then the Canucks already won the deal.

That's my take on last season as well. To me the tell was most of the vets booking out early. Higgins, Vrbata, and Prust clearly avoided contact for most of the season. They would do the old reach for the puck rather than take an extra stride and engage physically. They must have decided together as they started doing this at the same time.

Go Granny Go!!!

3 minutes ago, Aircool said:

Who thinks that? I've never heard anyone on these forums say that once.

RWMc1

• Canucks Rookie
  •  
  • RWMc1
  • Members
  • 1,815 posts
3 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

No way to know at this point. Shinkaruk hasn't put the time in the gym to make me think he can play in the NHL. His arms are like pipe cleaners and he doesn't have the elusiveness to get him out of trouble. He took some hits last year that made him look very fragile. I'm a fan, but I think that it was a good idea to sell high on Shinkaruk. Granlund is basically the same player just a year older and plays C/LW. Canucks all of a sudden have a whole bunch of players that can play multiple positions. 

The PTO of Ruutu is a conscious effort to bring in a Finnish element to the team just as Granlund was. I truly believe that Benning read the situation perfectly. He knew they weren't going to make a push for the playoffs when Hamhuis had his face smashed by a puck etc. and decided to try as many prospects as possible in the hope that we could get into the top 3 and get a Fin. People don't seem to realize that we intentionally tanked last year... and that's it. We aren't going to continually try to suck for draft position. It's a terrible strategy and involves too much luck to be considered intelligent. With the Sedins here, a Jennings candidate duo in net and an increasingly better Defense, Canucks are a dangerous team every night. 

My guess is that Shinkaruk is in Stockton and Granlund is in Vancouver. If that's the case then the Canucks already won the deal.

That's my take on last season as well. To me the tell was most of the vets booking out early. Higgins, Vrbata, and Prust clearly avoided contact for most of the season. They would do the old reach for the puck rather than take an extra stride and engage physically. They must have decided together as they started doing this at the same time.

Go Granny Go!!!

Wow, how could I have missed the clear signs that the Canucks were deliberately tanking last season:

• Brandon Sutter deliberately using his jaw as a hockey stick.
  • Edler deliberately exposing his leg to block a hard shot.
  • Vrbata deliberately playing poorly on a contract year that was not renewed by the Canucks.
  • High scoring forwards Linden Vey, Higgins, and Prust deliberately playing like fourth liners at best. 
  • Willie and Benning deliberately exposing the clearly more experienced D-man Corrado in exchange for the opportunity to play that darned rookie Hutton.
  • Willie and Benning deliberately using 2 potential star rookie forwards who would end up producing decent but not great numbers.
  • Benning deliberately trading prospect Shinkaruk in exchange for getting that Calgary reject Granlund to actually play on the short-handed team.
  • Benning deliberately not dumping that washed-out defenceman Hamhuis for a bag of pucks during the trade deadline.
  • Willie deliberately allowing the obviously injured Henrik Sedin to keep playing.

Based on this offseason, I expect more of this kind of tanking this year:

• Signing an injured European MVP.
  • Trading a young, potential first round forward for an older, more experienced high draft D-man.
  • Drafting Juolevi in exchange for the more highly regarded forward Tkachuk.
  • Spending a lot of money on a past-30-year old scoring winger from the Boston Bruins, of all places.

57 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Wow, how could I have missed the clear signs that the Canucks were deliberately tanking last season:

• Brandon Sutter deliberately using his jaw as a hockey stick.
  • Edler deliberately exposing his leg to block a hard shot.
  • Vrbata deliberately playing poorly on a contract year that was not renewed by the Canucks.
  • High scoring forwards Linden Vey, Higgins, and Prust deliberately playing like fourth liners at best. 
  • Willie and Benning deliberately exposing the clearly more experienced D-man Corrado in exchange for the opportunity to play that darned rookie Hutton.
  • Willie and Benning deliberately using 2 potential star rookie forwards who would end up producing decent but not great numbers.
  • Benning deliberately trading prospect Shinkaruk in exchange for getting that Calgary reject Granlund to actually play on the short-handed team.
  • Benning deliberately not dumping that washed-out defenceman Hamhuis for a bag of pucks during the trade deadline.
  • Willie deliberately allowing the obviously injured Henrik Sedin to keep playing.

Based on this offseason, I expect more of this kind of tanking this year:

• Signing an injured European MVP.
  • Trading a young, potential first round forward for an older, more experienced high draft D-man.
  • Drafting Juolevi in exchange for the more highly regarded forward Tkachuk.
  • Spending a lot of money on a past-30-year old scoring winger from the Boston Bruins, of all places.

Normally I would not give +1 to a sarcastic post, but this is a pretty good list of the things that were either i) bad luck or ii) things a tanking team would never do.

I am not saying I like the various moves listed, but obviously the Canucks would not make those moves if they were trying to tank.

Of course there is the (crazy) conspiracy theory that Benning and Linden were secretly trying to tank while making it look to the owner that they were actually trying to win.

1 hour ago, vancan2233 said:

I just find it funny how some fans believe the Canucks tanked on purpose last year.  What do you think "yes" or" no". If "yes" why? 

I don't understand why one or two fans thinking we tanked qualifies an entire topic on this?  One or two fans also think Linden or the Sedins sucked.  Just ignore them, they're idiots.

Archived