The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Apple Care vs Costco Warranty vs Simply Computing Warranty

jono2009

Random question: Looking at getting a new iPad and am comparing all the different warranties. Apple Care being the obvious. $99. 2 year coverage. Covered up to two incidents with damage and a $49 fee each time. 

Then we have Simply Computing Warranty. Pretty much the same as Apple Care. I believe it has option for 3 year for $129. $49 fee for incidents for replacements due to damage. 

Lastly is the Costco Warranty. $99. 3 year term. No deductibles. I know this seems like the most obvious one to get. I am just looking for feedback. Maybe someone has a bad experience with any of these Warranties. 

How often are you going to be using your iPad? Just keeping it at home/taking to work/school. Or is it something you'll be bringing everywhere with you no matter what you're doing.

I can tell you, my iPad screen had cracked because I accidentally rolled over it while I was lying down and I'm not that heavy of a person either. Wasn't a big crack but it cracked alright.

43 minutes ago, Incursio said:

Do you see yourself having the iPad for 3 years? How important is physical damage coverage to you? Is Costco's warranty in store exchange? 

Just now, Shift-4 said:

If I had to think this much about an additional warranty I probably wouldn't buy the product.

It isn't a matter of over thinking. All warranties have some issues. Nothing wrong with doing research. 

Just now, jono2009 said:

It isn't a matter of over thinking. All warranties have some issues. Nothing wrong with doing research. 

Well, the questions I asked you were to help you pick what one you wanted...

47 minutes ago, Incursio said:

Do you see yourself having the iPad for 3 years? How important is physical damage coverage to you? Is Costco's warranty in store exchange? 

Yes I could. The 3 years is appealing as my last mini ipad screen broke after the second year. Apple Care had expired at that point. 

Costco looks like they send out for repair and if all else fails will replace in store. 

13 minutes ago, Apple Juice said:

How often are you going to be using your iPad? Just keeping it at home/taking to work/school. Or is it something you'll be bringing everywhere with you no matter what you're doing.

I can tell you, my iPad screen had cracked because I accidentally rolled over it while I was lying down and I'm not that heavy of a person either. Wasn't a big crack but it cracked alright.

Daily. Work as well. 

6 minutes ago, jono2009 said:

Yes I could. The 3 years is appealing as my last mini ipad screen broke after the second year. Apple Care had expired at that point. 

Costco looks like they send out for repair and if all else fails will replace in store. 

Probably worth looking into the Simply Computing Warranty then. I know that some people would rather just buy a more current model after a couple years, but if you're cool with sticking with an older unit then that might be the route to go.

Did Costco let you know how long it could take to be repaired? Some retail outlets can take a few weeks. 

Just now, Incursio said:

Probably worth looking into the Simply Computing Warranty then. I know that some people would rather just buy a more current model after a couple years, but if you're cool with sticking with an older unit then that might be the route to go.

Did Costco let you know how long it could take to be repaired? Some retail outlets can take a few weeks. 

Well I am looking at the iPad pro. It should be good for a few years. 

Coscto turnaround time seems quick. The insurance company is Asurion. It looks like most devices are fixed or replaced within a couple days. I change iPhones every time a new one comes out. Not the iPad though. They are too expensive to change lol

38 minutes ago, jono2009 said:

Well I am looking at the iPad pro. It should be good for a few years. 

Coscto turnaround time seems quick. The insurance company is Asurion. It looks like most devices are fixed or replaced within a couple days. I change iPhones every time a new one comes out. Not the iPad though. They are too expensive to change lol

Why? 

Archived