The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why must they?

Shirotashi

I was just listening to some Canuck interviews, and a guy is asking Bo Horvat questions, usual fair. He asks Horvat about goals last season and does he think he can get more than 20? You can tell they both laugh, and then Bo, being Bo, answers. My question is simple if its kind of irrelevant to ask a player how many goals he thinks he will score, then why ask? I say its irrelevant because who is the question catering to exactly? I get that a journalist tries to cover a spectrum of audiences, but seriously who is wanting to know that???? lol Like who exactly is sitting there thinking boy I sure hope someone asks Horvat for a fycking ball park estimate of how many more goals he can score this year. Sure I want Bo to do better but I'm never saying to myself that if Horvat doesn't get over a certain amount of goals this season I want him off the team. I just don't follow the logic behind even asking the question, are we just trying to start the ball of stress that is scoring woes for players, rolling even before the season begins??? Just wanted to get your thoughts on that..

If asked that question I'd answer "somewhere between 0 and 91"...don't want to sound cocky and think I'd break Gretzky's record.

Seriously though, it's a silly question because so many factors contribute to a goal total that can be beyond a players control, it's silly to make them give a prediction.

4 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

If asked that question I'd answer "somewhere between 0 and 91"...don't want to sound cocky and think I'd break Gretzky's record.

Seriously though, it's a silly question because so many factors contribute to a goal total that can be beyond a players control, it's silly to make them give a prediction.

Right? Especially at the start of the season.

What the use of such a question?

• To start a dialogue, maybe it'll turn into something
  • Maybe we'll get some clues as to how the player feels about his summer and whether he is improving a lot or just a little
  • The real answer is somewhere between half as much, and twice as much as last year
  • Fans really just want to hear something from players they are interested in.  It doesn't really matter what. 
  • I'm glad Bo made it back to Vancouver.

Because it's their job to ask these types of "standard fare" questions and as a few posters have mentioned, the answers are usually as standard as the questions. Unless you're interviewing Roenick or that tinfoil hat wearing, Russian keeper, Bobrovski...

It would be fun to hear players answer with some wit, but it's been trained out of them, well, except for the nuts.

They could rephrase it to something like, "do you think your offence will improve/have you trained harder on scoring/what have you done to address the slump you started the season with last year?" Basically the same questions though. And they have to ask something.

1 hour ago, luckylager said:

Because it's their job to ask these types of "standard fare" questions and as a few posters have mentioned, the answers are usually as standard as the questions. Unless you're interviewing Roenick or that tinfoil hat wearing, Russian keeper, Bobrovski...

It would be fun to hear players answer with some wit, but it's been trained out of them, well, except for the nuts.

I love Markstrom when it comes to that, I always look forward to his media scrums.

"It a process, you can't get too high or too low.  The season is long so you have to take it game by game, day by day.  Our goal is to win the Cup and we feel we have the talent and a good group of guys in this locker room that can deliver on that." 

A player could use that quote everyday of the regular season.  Doesn't matter if they got blown out or won by 6 goals or a last second overtime loss that quote covers it all.

Archived