The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Ryan Strome's Worth

SabreFan1

The Islanders have a policy where if a player isn't signed by training camp, he is no longer welcome on the team for that season.  Their camp starts next week I believe.  Ryan Strome is still an RFA.

Strome netted 50 points in his first full season in 14-15, but then dropped to 28 points last season in 71 games.

Garth Snow is playing hardball with Strome's agents so I'm guessing that he's willing to and probably already is listening to offers.  I think Strome still has top 6 potential and could fit in well with what JB and TL are doing with the youth movement. 

My problem is that I just don't see what the Canucks can offer NYI to pry him from them.  They are pretty much set on defence so any trade with Sbisa in it would be pointless and the Canucks can't part with forward talent.  That only leaves prospects and picks.  If Strome eventually turns out to be mediocre, then the prospect pool will have been diminished.

Just now, mll said:

That was the same thing last year with Brock Nelson and they got him signed just on time.  They were going to force him to sit out.  If they trade him - it sets a precedent and they don't want that.  Also:

Nothing is set until pen is put to paper.  If the contract talks hit a hiccup in the last day or two, his rights will be there for the highest bidder.

25 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

The Islanders have a policy where if a player isn't signed by training camp, he is no longer welcome on the team for that season.  Their camp starts next week I believe.  Ryan Strome is still an RFA.

Strome netted 50 points in his first full season in 14-15, but then dropped to 28 points last season in 71 games.

Garth Snow is playing hardball with Strome's agents so I'm guessing that he's willing to and probably already is listening to offers.  I think Strome still has top 6 potential and could fit in well with what JB and TL are doing with the youth movement. 

My problem is that I just don't see what the Canucks can offer NYI to pry him from them.  They are pretty much set on defence so any trade with Sbisa in it would be pointless and the Canucks can't part with forward talent.  That only leaves prospects and picks.  If Strome eventually turns out to be mediocre, then the prospect pool will have been diminished.

Regardless of whether they are set or not on defense, you are not getting Ryan Strome with Sbisa as your main piece of the return.

I'm guessing it would take at least, Hansen + 1st rounder to make it happen. 

Just now, timberz21 said:

Regardless of whether they are set or not on defense, you are not getting Ryan Strome with Sbisa as your main piece of the return.

I'm guessing it would take at least, Hansen + 1st rounder to make it happen. 

That's my point.  I was trying to head off the Sbisa proposals with that statement.  I was just doing it in a nice way.

Question is where would he fit on the canucks roster?  He's not currently a top 6 center. He got 50 points playing on the wing of Tavares.  When Grabo got hurt he filled in as the #3 center and didn't have a lot of success. So currently today he wouldn't replace Sutter or Bo out of their spots in the middle.

And if were getting him for the RW, I think there are more appealing options on the market and even some worth seeing in our own system that i'd want to test first. 

It would really come down to cost for Vancouver.  It would have to be really cheap for it to make sense to Vancouver other wise we'd be better saving our assets

I'm pretty sure his cost is too damn high!  We would need to trade one of our assets that we definitely need, to get an asset we don't necessarily need.  If we are going to trade Tanev or Hutton or Bo(NOOOOOOOO! Don't do it) we will need to get back a definitive goal scoring asset.  Ryan Strome is not that guy....but he is a young, up and coming potential top 6 forward who would rightly get a lot of consideration among NHL GMs.

1ao6rz.jpg

EDIT:  I stated Tanev, Hutton and Bo because if Campy Jim trades our high picks I will be furious.

Archived