The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Training Camp, Schedule and Roster Announced

Ossi Vaananen

From the release:

Vancouver, BC – The Vancouver Canucks announced today that 34 veterans will participate in the 2016 Training Camp. Players will report for physicals, medical exams and media availability at Rogers Arena on Thursday, September 22nd and take to the ice at the Meadow Park Sports Centre in Whistler from Friday, September 23rd to Monday, September 26th.

The list of veterans attending training camp includes three goaltenders, 11 defencemen and 20 forwards. This group will be joined by select players who will carry on from the Young Stars Classic taking place this weekend at the South Events Okanagan Centre in Penticton. All on-ice practice sessions and the team scrimmage at the Meadow Park Sports Centre in Whistler are free to attend and open to the public.

Media Availability

On Thursday, September 22nd, General Manager Jim Benning and Head Coach Willie Desjardins will meet with the media in the Norm Jewison Media Room at 9:30 am. Player availability will immediately follow in press conference format with groups of four players at a time.

Players at camp, as well as Head Coach Willie Desjardins, will be available to the media following practice sessions at the Meadow Park Sports Centre.                                      

Training Camp Schedule

DATE                   TIME                LOCATION                              EVENT
Sept. 22                9:30 a.m.           Rogers Arena                           Media Availability 
Sept. 23, 24, 26    8:30 a.m.           Meadow Park Sports Centre    On-Ice (first group) 
                             10:40 a.m.         Meadow Park Sports Centre    On-Ice (second group) 
                             12:50 p.m.         Meadow Park Sports Centre    On-Ice (third group) 
Sept. 25               10:00 a.m.          Meadow Park Sports Centre    On-Ice 
                            11:15 a.m.          Meadow Park Sports Centre     Intra-Squad Scrimmage    

Please note the attached roster and above schedule and times are subject to change. For the most up-to-date information, please call the media hotline at 604-899-4995, follow @CanucksPR or visit Canucks.com/mediarelations.

Roster link: http://canucks.nhl.com/v2/ext/16.17 Season/Training Camp Roster.pdf

Just now, Bigturk8 said:

I'm surprised to see that Demko hasn't been invited. Too many goalies with seniority? For that matter, is there a limit (maybe self imposed) on how many goalies you can take to training camp?

Youngstars get invites after the tournament. I'm sure he'll get the invite, though not everyone does.  

I really hope Pedan kills it and forces himself into the line-up.  He's was a junior monster, and has done fairly well in Utica - and during his call ups.  He has a very hard shot from the point - and can score way out by the blue line - and clears the net like nobody's business. Also except for one fight with Bickell, he's laid out most guys (including some pretty good fighters) and never lost a bout decisively - something our team could use after two years of watching Dorsett lose.  He can play the game, hit. clear the crease and bring toughness back to the team....I say watch out Sbisa...your job is at risk.

Tryamkin may be two inches taller, but he's not the only big body in the system, and from what I can determine from his play in Russia he's not as much a bulldog as Pedan is....and I hope management see's this and gives the last spot to the most deserving big guy....and that playing both of them with Guddy would change the entire make-up of our team.

Archived