The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] F Valeri Nichushkin to KHL

TDemko16

Well, I wonder if his rights would be cheap now?

I think he's still got it, just not for Dallas. There's something in the water in Vancouver for Russians. A broken Mogilny became un-broken (mostly), obviously Bure, Chubarov was quite good for us in the defensive and faceoff role before returning back home for the lockout and staying there, which I totally get in his case; he'd be a forever 3rd/4th liner here and paid accordingly. There've been others as well.

If he has an NHL contract clause in his contract it might be worth a tire kick, provided the price is low enough.

Understandably most here are quite hard on the youngster. Nothing wrong with trying the NHL and having an interest in returning home to play in a good league and be closer to what is familiar to you. Too bad he is a solid young talent and at two years not like the door is closed on the NHL but he has his right to make his choice.

Simply going back to Russia to play hockey as a career choice doesn't make him a flake or any less of a person or hockey player. 

If he simply wants to be closer to home, I totally understand that. But if his issue is with coaching, why not just ask for a trade?

Regardless, I don't think there is any question he will be back. He is only 21 and has had a couple of NHL season under his built already. I think he will still be a good player in this league one day. I wouldn't be upset at all if the Nucks acquired his rights between now and whenever he comes back.

28 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

This is a good move for Nichushkin's development. I think he'll be back at the end of his contract.

Not if Ruff is still coaching the Stars is my guess.  Maybe he has an out clause after one year with the KHL club if his NHL contract gets traded to another team.

11 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Nothing wrong with drafting a Russian player. Benning did quite well with Tryamkin.

It's not drafting them that's the problem.  It's drafting them in the first and second round.  Even if it's a relatively small risk that they will eventually flee the country, it's still a risk nonetheless.

32 minutes ago, Raymond Luxury Yacht said:

I'm not sure I could care any less where Nichushkin plays.  It's not here, and we have Bo.  Good luck on your home turf Val.  I'd probably prefer to play in my home country as well.  I'm not understanding the vitriol against a him, how does this affect us?

Well its pretty much a complete rip off for the team that drafted him . Imagine if bo up and left

4 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Well its pretty much a complete rip off for the team that drafted him . Imagine if bo up and left

Not so much a ripoff as it is immaturity on his part.  Leaving your team and teammates because you don't like your coach isn't a respectable decision if that is the only reason that he left.

Archived