The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] F Valeri Nichushkin to KHL

TDemko16

Just now, Warhippy said:

If you can nail down a guy with his potential for as little as a midling pick or at least his rights and manage to keep him in the NHL it's worth the risk.  At worst you've lost a pick yet retained the rights of a guy going home to a country and league facing economic ruin in the near future at best you've bought a kid who has all the size speed and skill in the world yet is showing the Kovalev factor

Besides, how's O'Reilly doing since he threatened the Avs he'd take his ball and go home?

Seems to be doing ok (russian factor not withstanding) and still playing even after his crazy demands pre trade

O'Reilly doesn't have and never will have the KHL threat to credibly use against an NHL team.  All Russian players do.

O'Reilly did what players have been doing in all of the sports leagues for decades.  "Give me my money or I'm gone".

You are obviously less conservative than I am when it comes to taking chances on players.  I wouldn't take that chance on a flight risk like him if I were the GM of a rebuilding team like JB is.

Just now, SabreFan1 said:

O'Reilly doesn't have and never will have the KHL threat to credibly use against an NHL team.  All Russian players do.

O'Reilly did what players have been doing in all of the sports leagues for decades.  "Give me my money or I'm gone".

You are obviously less conservative than I am when it comes to taking chances on players.  I wouldn't take that chance on a flight risk like him if I were the GM of a rebuilding team like JB is.

I think in regards to the risks we've taken over the past few years

Vey

Clendenning

Granlund

Weber (not a trade)

That Val is worth that pick and that risk.  if nothing else to retain his rights when he comes back seeking $

And yes O'Reilly isn't russian, I noted that.  but he held off and demanded more $$$

To me, for character, that's about the same.  We don't know yet why or what the reason for Nicushkin possibly leaving is.  But it can't be much worse than plain greed over team

4 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Not that Nichuskin has a ton of support on CDC these days anyway, but this should put a pretty definitive nail in the coffin of the Bo/Valeri debate. 

It was always Horvat vs Domi for me for who we should have drafted, I never wanted Nichushkin. I'm so glad we took Horvat though.

I still remember people going nuts on here when he scored a nice goal in preseason. This was always going to be the risk throughout this guys career. The warning signs were there right from the beginning when he said he wanted to be in the NHL or he would go back to Russia.

Only pick Russians that are willing to come over and play in the CHL or work on their game in the A.

3 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Not so much a ripoff as it is immaturity on his part.  Leaving your team and teammates because you don't like your coach isn't a respectable decision if that is the only reason that he left.

True. But I mean a rip off for the organization losing a first round pick like that for nothing. 

17 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I think in regards to the risks we've taken over the past few years

Vey

Clendenning

Granlund

Weber (not a trade)

That Val is worth that pick and that risk.  if nothing else to retain his rights when he comes back seeking $

And yes O'Reilly isn't russian, I noted that.  but he held off and demanded more $$$

To me, for character, that's about the same.  We don't know yet why or what the reason for Nicushkin possibly leaving is.  But it can't be much worse than plain greed over team

Agree with the bolded, but if he really did leave solely because of the Head Coach, I would have no use for him as a GM.

I'm not a fan of greed either, but unfortunately it's an integrated part of professional sports.  I could definitely understand it if AVs fans have a dislike of him because of that.

1 minute ago, erkayloomeh said:

True. But I mean a rip off for the organization losing a first round pick like that for nothing. 

Which is why I have said before that I would be leery about drafting a Russian or College player in the first or second round.  If you have met with and have absolute confidence in the Russian or College player then pull the trigger.  If there is any doubt then you need to really consider your options.

Just now, SabreFan1 said:

Which is why I have said before that I would be leery about drafting a Russian or College player in the first or second round.  If you have met with and have absolute confidence in the Russian or College player then pull the trigger.  If there is any doubt then you need to really consider your options.

Which makes me think about Yak in Edmonton.  

You have to think he has some character staying with that team for all the criticism he's taken. 

Wouldn't mind getting him ttytt. 

Just now, erkayloomeh said:

Which makes me think about Yak in Edmonton.  

You have to think he has some character staying with that team for all the criticism he's taken. 

Wouldn't mind getting him ttytt. 

I'm not a fan of Yakupov the hockey player, but like you said, you have to have a decent amount of respect for him for staying in the NHL under the adversity that he continues to experience.

15 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Agree with the bolded, but if he really did leave solely because of the Head Coach, I would have no use for him as a GM.

I'm not a fan of greed either, but unfortunately it's an integrated part of professional sports.  I could definitely understand it if AVs fans have a dislike of him because of that.

If he left solely because of the coach that's his issue and a lack of maturity and professionalism.  But we don't know.  he's such an intriguing guy for size/skill etc.  That's why I'd be so ok with it.  Just another pick, when have we ever had a 2nd anyways these last few years (demko)

Just now, Warhippy said:

If he left solely because of the coach that's his issue and a lack of maturity and professionalism.  But we don't know.  he's such an intriguing guy for size/skill etc.  That's why I'd be so ok with it.  Just another pick, when have we ever had a 2nd anyways these last few years (demko)

The whole story will eventually emerge.  Maybe he's unhappy about several things.

This would be the year to trade a 2nd rounder though since the Canucks have theirs and CBJ's.

As the story stands right now with the coach as the only reason, I wouldn't want him.

Great news! One Western team just got slightly weaker. 

Dallas would have had a pretty scary top 6... that being said, you can still argue they have the best top 6 in the Conference even without Val. Benn, Spezza, Hudler, Sharp, Seguin... 

12 minutes ago, apollo said:

Great news! One Western team just got slightly weaker. 

Dallas would have had a pretty scary top 6... that being said, you can still argue they have the best top 6 in the Conference even without Val. Benn, Spezza, Hudler, Sharp, Seguin... 

I'm thinking they signed Hudler knowing that Nichushkin was possibly heading back to Russia.

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

Posturing - I hope Nill calls his bluff and doesn't give in.  Either that or Nill gives in to his demands and signs him to a crippling contract that he could never have the ability to fulfill statistically - not sure which would be better at this point^_^

Does anyone know if it's still a possibility for an NHL team to still aquire Nichuskins rights??? With news that he's heading back to Russia, maybe now Dallas would trade away his rights for real cheap instead of just losing him for nothing and Nichuskin would stay if he found a better setting. 

I know I'm reaching on this one but it's worth looking into 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA lmaoooo

...I remember when parts of cdc were crying when we picked Horvat over this dud. Suck it you pretend know-it-alls.

FWIW it was only 3 years ago Jagr said Nichushkin would be the best player in the world and those same people cried even more for having drafted Bo :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Edit: bring on the butthurt minuses!!! ::D

Archived