The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning on 1040 September 19th

Ossi Vaananen

I'm in the camp that Miller is #1 but after seeing Marky in WCH he seems to have really improved his game. We'll have to see how the season un-folds but I wouldn't be surprised if Marky takes over #1

That being said I wouldn't be surprised if Miller goes Vezina form on contract year and leads us to the promise land! 

OJ reminds me a little of PK just watching the Jets prospects game. Makes quite a few costly errors but is such a threat offensively and very mobile... very excited to see him play a pre-season game at least. 

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I wonder if Benning refers to Miller as his number one because of his cap hit. Hopefully this is the season where Markstrom takes the reigns.

Probably because of age and experience, that and he is a little smarter than GMMG in the fact he doesn't want to start a goalie controversy in the pre season and have it linger over the team all year 

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I wonder if Benning refers to Miller as his number one because of his cap hit. Hopefully this is the season where Markstrom takes the reigns.

There is no other real reason. Miller could be a good but overpaid back-up+ with 40% starts but more likely to get 75% to 80% unless he gets injured.

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think Miller is going in as the number one, but Benning knows as well as all of us that Marky could take over if he plays well enough.

Just now, Sedinery33 said:

Probably because of age and experience, that and he is a little smarter than GMMG in the fact he doesn't want to start a goalie controversy in the pre season and have it linger over the team all year 

Fair enough. He's got to be excited at watching how Sweden is doing.

You guys are meatheads focusing on a goaltending controversy again. The real quotes here are the Marco Roy main camp invite and the 8D target to start the season.

With 8D that means only 13F, so one spare forward out of: Burrows, Sheppard, Gaunce, Virtanen, Rodin.... should make for a competitive camp. 

1 minute ago, TimberWolf said:

There is no other real reason. Miller could be a good but overpaid back-up+ with 40% starts but more likely to get 75% to 80% unless he gets injured.

Good point. I'm hoping for a more conservative 55-45 split, but we'll see how Willie doles out the starts.

What do you say, Willie?

willie.jpg

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Fair enough. He's got to be excited at watching how Sweden is doing.

Anytime you have a goalie start over Lundquist you have to be excited. Go Sweden!, until they play Canada of course

2 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

You guys are meatheads focusing on a goaltending controversy again. The real quotes here are the Marco Roy main camp invite and the 8D target to start the season.

With 8D that means only 13F, so one spare forward out of: Burrows, Sheppard, Gaunce, Virtanen, Rodin.... should make for a competitive camp. 

Not focused on it, just think Benning is smart saying Miller is his #1, around here that doesn't happen often.

Yes the fights for positions and playing time will be great to watch in camp, hopefully everyone took the off season serious!

11 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Unless either starts to flounder, they'll most likely split time in the net.  After this season, Miller will be gone and the net will belong to Markstrom with Demko hopefully playing well enough by then to back him up.

13 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

The Marco Roy camp invite is definitely good to see. I thought he was really good in both prospects games. He's got a ton of hustle. I could see them having Utica sign him if he does well at main camp, much like Valk when he was here as an invite.

Archived