The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning on 1040 September 19th

Ossi Vaananen

What Benning paid for was stability in the line-up at certain positions from a foundation standpoint so he could get things done.

Miller allowed him to focus on fixing the backup situation without having to worry about a starter at the same time. Sbisa added more of a physical presence on the blueline so he could focus on other areas of our D corps. Dorsett provided more grit and was an immediate example in the locker room of the character standard he was setting for other guys. Dorsett also added necessary protection for the young guys. 

Also in the bigger picture, Miller's contract gave us the opportunity to have stability in net for three years, solve the backup situation, have a veteran Vezina winner in the locker room, and bring along Markstrom the right way. Miller's overpayment will balance out and return in Markstrom and then payoff through Demko.

Although you can say he overspent, they allowed him to execute and fasttrack the change that needed to happen. What's missing is deeper context around the demands at the time Benning first got here. It's not like he could wait for the perfect deal each and every time. He had to start changing the team. To do that, he had to take a number of risks and do what he felt was right. 

I've said it before, sometimes you have to make moves that don't make conventional sense in order to make more significant moves and create change. You have to take a hit in some areas in order to fix others in order to get greater value in the long run.

5 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

Name a similar player with a similar contract that you seem fair. There's the David Clarkson's of the league but those are considered albatrosses. 

Matt Martin just signed a similar deal to Dorsett with just a couple caveats- it's slightly cheaper, and he can actually bring some "heavy".

Arguably Dorsett gets $600 000 - $1 000 000 more than his worth. Yes over paid but not an albatross...

Burrows 4.5 is worse.  

3 hours ago, baumerman77 said:

I'm not saying Benning has never or will never bring in skilled guys - he has and probably will in the future. Rather I am saying that he's ratio of grinder/grit types to skilled types is antiquated and not a formula for success in the current NHL (as I have stated before it is like Benning is building a team to compete for the cup in the dead puck era). Ditto with the USA team, sure they had skilled guys but they relied too much on grit type players. 

This summer it could be argued our signature off season move was Lui Eriksson? Because it happened by trade, subtraction as well as addition, the Gudbranson move does create more uproar. And Gud's is obviously a grit guy first. Skill guy second.

In any case we added Eriksson at the top end. Stecher, Rodin...  These are all guys who's game is speed, puck skills under pressure, creating pressure, burying the biscuit, dropping the nice pass?

Its not all grit. Its as much or more about adding skill where the opportunity exists as well...

3 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

I've never once complained about the corrado signing, I supported JB's decision and I think corrado is severely overrated around these parts. 

Sure, Lindenning felt it ws necessary to overspend on Dorsett but does that make it right? There's plenty of character guys who can play, throw their bodies around, and chip in the odd bit of offence for less term and/or money. That sort of player is about as dime a dozen as they come. I do think Dorsett seems like a solid character guy and locker room presence but is that worth the money and term? I don't think the money is a huge deal on a one or two year deal, which is typically what players of his ilk get, but for four years? We've got 7 million dollars tied up in two players that contributed a combined 38 points last year between him and Burrows. How much overpriced character do we need? 

2.65 million can and should get you a better player for the money. 

I would think at the time they signed Dorsett (or Sbisa) they probably never said to themselves they overpaid?

I suspect, later in life, they would say to us they just learned a little bit about how to negotiate contracts.  Deals for guys like Etem, Baertschi etc., have indicated they've started to get better about how they hand out money since?

17 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

This summer it could be argued our signature off season move was Lui Eriksson? Because it happened by trade, subtraction as well as addition, the Gudbranson move does create more uproar. And Gud's is obviously a grit guy first. Skill guy second.

In any case we added Eriksson at the top end. Stecher, Rodin...  These are all guys who's game is speed, puck skills under pressure, creating pressure, burying the biscuit, dropping the nice pass?

Its not all grit. Its as much or more about adding skill where the opportunity exists as well...

Agreed, the least of the concerns when it come to the Canucks forward group is an excess of grit.

2 minutes ago, hlinkas wrister said:

Agreed, the least of the concerns when it come to the Canucks forward group is an excess of grit.

We have to be careful. I believe we simply did not have enough strategic match ups where we were on the correct side of the leger last year.  Yes absolutely we needed to add more skill, goal scoring!

But we're also needing much more physicality up front. To make space for the skill players at forward. Like Gudbranson will for our D.  Etem and Jake are big. And fast. Bo is a healthy body.  But they are not locked in our top 6 yet. Our biggest current top 6 forward is 195 lbs. That's cause for alarm unless this small top 6 can completely dominate the puck. I don't think its any surprise JB was quoted as wanting another big winger.

Nor are Bo, Etem or Virtanen, our bigger forwards, guys who can handle any of the leagues heavyweights. So while we do have gritty players like Hansen in our line up, Bo shaping up nicely? Unfortunately we do also need more grit.

Signing a Lucic or Okposo would have been a HUGE boost!

16 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

Name a similar player with a similar contract that you seem fair. There's the David Clarkson's of the league but those are considered albatrosses. 

16 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

Matt Martin just signed a similar deal to Dorsett with just a couple caveats- it's slightly cheaper, and he can actually bring some "heavy".

I wanted to sign Martin.

On 23/09/2016 at 7:07 AM, Sean Monahan said:

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/rankings/

Voracek - 8.3  Million

Nash      - 7.8

B.Ryan   - 7.2

Phaneuf  - 7.0

Plekanec - 6.0

J.Staal    - 6.0

D.Brown  - 5.9

Enstrom  - 5.7

Bolland   - 5.5

Sekera   - 5.5

Petry      - 5.5

Clarkson - 5.2

Clowe    - 4.8

Laich    - 4.5

Bickell   - 4.0

Wilson   - 4.0

Stajan    - 3.1

Dorsett   - 2.6

etc. etc. etc.

All over paid.

Every team over pays for a few players. And every team has a few under paid.

2.6 maybe a little over pay depending on how U view it? But by how much then?

$600 000 - $800 000 ???   No albatross, No big deal...

17 minutes ago, hearditall said:

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/rankings/

Voracek - 8.3  Million

Nash      - 7.8

B.Ryan   - 7.2

Phaneuf  - 7.0

Plekanec - 6.0

J.Staal    - 6.0

D.Brown  - 5.9

Enstrom  - 5.7

Bolland   - 5.5

Sekera   - 5.5

Petry      - 5.5

Clarkson - 5.2

Clowe    - 4.8

Laich    - 4.5

Bickell   - 4.0

Wilson   - 4.0

Stajan    - 3.1

Dorsett   - 2.6

etc. etc. etc.

All over paid.

Every team over pays for a few players. And every team has a few under paid.

2.6 maybe a little over pay depending on how U view it? But by how much then?

$600 000 - $800 000 ???   No albatross, No big deal...

Some of those are the worst contracts in the league, not sure how that proves your point. Actually about half of those are albatrosses.

My issue isn't as much tbe money as it is the fact he got both money and term.

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/09/2016 at 8:26 PM, LaBamba said:

If Jim didn't give Dorsett that contract he would probably be on a PTO or maybe even in Europe. 

lmfao....U are a great talent evaluater ...NOT...

Like I've always said U can't put a price on these type of players. 2.5 mill might be a slight over payment but for someone who wants to be here & brings it like Dorsett, I got no problem with it. Imagine if JB listens to U and drives him to the airport for Europe like Your Wish...:picard:

U can answer back with whatever way U want to twist this. Answer is still & always going to be that U WERE WRONG. Dorsett brings something to this team that no other player does period...

Bashing Dorsett all summer long. Glad he stuffed it to your non hockey IQ. 

U are & never will be a GM so stop your know it all answers after your couch potato 6 pack comments... :towel::frantic::towel: 

5 hours ago, hearditall said:

lmfao....U are a great talent evaluater ...NOT...

Like I've always said U can't put a price on these type of players. 2.5 mill might be a slight over payment but for someone who wants to be here & brings it like Dorsett, I got no problem with it. Imagine if JB listens to U and drives him to the airport for Europe like Your Wish...:picard:

U can answer back with whatever way U want to twist this. Answer is still & always going to be that U WERE WRONG. Dorsett brings something to this team that no other player does period...

Bashing Dorsett all summer long. Glad he stuffed it to your non hockey IQ. 

U are & never will be a GM so stop your know it all answers after your couch potato 6 pack comments... :towel::frantic::towel: 

If you wanna have an argument based on personal insults go yell at your wife. I don't have the hockey IQ to converse with you anyway. 

Archived