The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning on 1040 September 19th

Ossi Vaananen

1 minute ago, diesel_3 said:

Haven't been able to tune in to any of the prospects tourney, How has OJ looked? 

Un-biased, non-homer POV, Please.

Very raw.

He's made some really bad plays in his own end, and his decision making hasn't been great at times. He's a super smooth skater, but it also seems like his speed could use a bit of work. He's also very clearly lacking in strength, which I think most everyone has known since the draft.

At the same time though, he's shown glimpses of why he's so highly touted. His first pass is pretty nice, he looks dangerous at the blueline in the offensive end, and his movement (as mentioned) is really smooth.

He definitely needs development, but he looks very promising.

Just now, BananaMash said:

Very raw.

He's made some really bad plays in his own end, and his decision making hasn't been great at times. He's a super smooth skater, but it also seems like his speed could use a bit of work. He's also very clearly lacking in strength, which I think most everyone has known since the draft.

At the same time though, he's shown glimpses of why he's so highly touted. His first pass is pretty nice, he looks dangerous at the blueline in the offensive end, and his movement (as mentioned) is really smooth.

Thanks, Mash...Good write up, Real good.

59 minutes ago, apollo said:

after seeing Marky in WCH he seems to have really improved his game.

The team in front of him has vastly improved. He is a positionally sound goalie. If he played on the Ducks, he'd probably win the Vez.  

18 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

Very raw.

Woah never thought I'd see a sensible writeup around these parts (Canucks Talk) 

I to haven't been able to watch, what is his shot like? 

Juolevi looked nervous at times and made a few misstakes. One led to a goal.

Overall his skills are high end and positioning was flawless. Bigger then I expected . Very very mobile.

He was not the only one to make misstakes. The play was as choppy as expected. 

10 minutes ago, logic said:

Someone else will have to answer this, I haven't really noticed. I feel like he was more inclined to pass from the point that to shoot, but I could be wrong.

33 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

Very raw.

14 minutes ago, logic said:

Just for you logic, to make sure everything is right in the world, here is what BananaMash really meant to say:

33 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

Very awesome.

He's made some really great plays in his own end, and his decision making has been great. He's a super smooth skater, but it also seems like he has speed to burn. He's also very clearly lacking in facial hair, which I think most everyone has known since the draft.

At the same time though, he's shown huge flashes of why he's so highly touted. His first pass is incredibly nice, he looks dangerous at the blueline in the offensive end, and his movement (as mentioned) is really smooth.

He definitely is ready and looks very awesome.

44 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Sounds like JB is sold on having Larsen penciled in as the #5 dman.

Sbisa, Tryamkin and Pedan will duke it out for the order on the depth chart, 6,7,8

I'm not sure why Benning would pencil in Larsen as the 5th defenseman so quickly. He's proven jack squat at the NHL level, whereas Sbisa and Tryamkin have proven more.

That and his resounding endorsement of Miller (make no mistake about it?) are slightly headache inducing points from today's interview.

51 minutes ago, diesel_3 said:

Haven't been able to tune in to any of the prospects tourney, How has OJ looked? 

Un-biased, non-homer POV, Please.

He looks like Dan Hamhuis out there. Decision making is very good. Angles guys off well. Rarely takes a hit. His problem is his speed right now. Also a bit of strength, but that's fine. These are skills which can be worked on. We can see he has hockey sense and he WILL be in the NHL very soon if he keeps on the current path.

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'm not sure why Benning would pencil in Larsen as the 5th defenseman so quickly. He's proven jack squat at the NHL level, whereas Sbisa and Tryamkin have proven more.

That and his resounding endorsement of Miller (make no mistake about it?) are slightly headache inducing points from today's interview.

Probably because outside of Hutton this team doesn't have any offensive minded D and offense from the back end is something this team desperately needs. 

Teams need a balance of different skillsets, whereas Guddy, Tryamkin, Sbisa and Pedan, play somewhat similar roles. 

Also, with Miller, JB said exactly what he needed to and give Miller confidence heading into the season.  The contract extension with Markstrom basis is the writing on the wall for Miller

12 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

In my opinion he is trying to avoid a goalie controversy from managements position.  We as fans want and know the difference.  They really don't want Luongo 2.0.  Miller can be a bit high strung and emotional so words from the team must be managed.   

It will be sorted out by the trade deadline unless the Canucks are in a playoff position.  I am hopeful Miller is dealt at the deadline and we actually get "something" in return. At least it would kill the "who is the number one" problem from managements perspective.

Also, regarding the Larsen statement it makes Larsen feel better about himself and creates a real competition to take his job.  Placates Larsen as a vet who signed to come over and play and let's the youngin's know they better show up ready.  We will know by regular season.  If it's 8 D it really doesn't matter I think we know who the penciled in 8 are. 

Just my opinion.

Just now, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Probably because outside of Hutton this team doesn't have any offensive minded D and offense from the back end is something this team desperately needs. 

Teams need a balance of different skillsets, whereas Guddy, Tryamkin, Sbisa and Pedan, play somewhat similar roles. 

I get that the team needs offensive minded defensemen. It kinda smacks of gifting him a spot though, no?

17 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Just for you logic, to make sure everything is right in the world, here is what BananaMash really meant to say:

I liked the original more. OJ is good and will be great but he needs to strengthen up and adjust more to the game. He won't be on the Canucks team this year so that he can build muscleand be a force the next.

5 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:
2 minutes ago, Borvat said:

In my opinion he is trying to avoid a goalie controversy from managements position.  We as fans want and know the difference.  They really don't want Luongo 2.0.  Miller can be a bit high strung and emotional so words from the team must be managed.   

It will be sorted out by the trade deadline unless the Canucks are in a playoff position.  I am hopeful Miller is dealt at the deadline and we actually get "something" in return. At least it would kill the "who is the number one" problem from managements perspective.

Just my opinion.

Also, with Miller, JB said exactly what he needed to and give Miller confidence heading into the season.  The contract extension with Markstrom basis is the writing on the wall for Miller

Good points.

57 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

The team in front of him has vastly improved. He is a positionally sound goalie. If he played on the Ducks, he'd probably win the Vez.  

You know what that means? Benning needs to make a series of trades to acquire all of team Sweden. He's already got one forward line and a Goalie. Edler can fill in for somebody.

3 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

I liked the original more. OJ is good and will be great but he needs to strengthen up and adjust more to the game. He won't be on the Canucks team this year so that he can build muscleand be a force the next.

Me too.  I was just joking with the rose tinted glasses edit to ease logic's fears that the board was becoming rational.

7 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

You know me better than I even know myself!

I know, it's a responsibility that I take seriously and therefore very cautious with its use.  It's normally a power I prefer to hide but had to risk today for fear of mass panic at CDC.

Archived