The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning on 1040 September 19th

Ossi Vaananen

1 hour ago, logic said:

Woah never thought I'd see a sensible writeup around these parts (Canucks Talk) 

I to haven't been able to watch, what is his shot like? 

From what I have seen, it's decent enough but he's got a long way to go before he truly has that booming blast from the blue line. Obviously strength is a big part of that though so it should improve as he develops physically. 

44 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'm not sure why Benning would pencil in Larsen as the 5th defenseman so quickly. He's proven jack squat at the NHL level, whereas Sbisa and Tryamkin have proven more.

That and his resounding endorsement of Miller (make no mistake about it?) are slightly headache inducing points from today's interview.

Power play.

Clearly he's scouted him and thinks he can fill one of the 5/6 slots as a complimentary guy whose main contribution will be on the PP. 

The other guy on that pair is Sbisa IMO with Tryamkin left to try and outplay him for that spot and as first injury full in.

Pedan as 8th D behind him and occasional forward when needed. 

If those guys all look like they belong (especially Tryamkin) and Stetcher, Subban, Tate, Brisebois etc all look like they're progressing well, we can look at moving someone towards the TDL.

53 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'm not sure why Benning would pencil in Larsen as the 5th defenseman so quickly. He's proven jack squat at the NHL level, whereas Sbisa and Tryamkin have proven more.

That and his resounding endorsement of Miller (make no mistake about it?) are slightly headache inducing points from today's interview.

Canucks these days seem to decide their opening day rosters before training camp. Bo being the best example. For some reason it shocked management he could make the team.

They tend to fill perceived holes with UFA's and trading picks before finding out in camp that those holes could be filled with our current depth. I'd say to give the boys a chance to earn a spot and if that doesn't pan, then you make some deals depending on our level of possible compete ability.

3 hours ago, ajhockey said:

I think Miller is going in as the number one, but Benning knows as well as all of us that Marky could take over if he plays well enough.

I could take over if I played well enough. Well anyone could. I say give Miller 60% and Markstrom 40% and hand it to Marky next year

The fact that Benning name checked Marc Oliver Roy means that now I wouldn't be shocked if around training camp time (or shortly after) if he gets a contract over one of the PTO guys. 

Him and D'Auost deserve deals, honestly. They've been great at both the dev camp and now the prospects camp. And will likely have momentum going into the Training Camp to stay noticed much like Carconne. 

If this means we need to buyout a player like McEney to make this happen, I wouldnt be too sad about it, honestly.

The Subban  comments stood for me in late part of interview JB indicated he needs to continue to work to improve defensive game then he may get his chance to play on big club.

Ironically this team is loading up a very stiff Defensive game with Larson being brought in to do heavy lifting on offense side of D hopefully .This would be code for me that I have been bumped down depth another notch .The showing of Stecher out of college seems to be ahead of him now.

an almost seems destined to compete for a spot at camp.

I do wonder how JB will manage Pedan continued development now as he is no longer exempt from waivers.WD had ample opportunity late in last season  when blue line was riddled with injury an chose or did not throw Pedan into the fire on D an start his development curve .Pedan was one of Jim's early tenure acquisition.

I hope JB is on the money on Larson this year.(but hey if it does not work ,we will only have to wait another year for Oli an Stecher to show up in Van.Let the quest continue 

3 hours ago, diesel_3 said:

Haven't been able to tune in to any of the prospects tourney, How has OJ looked? 

Un-biased, non-homer POV, Please.

the first game, I felt he was the best canuck on the ice, without question.  he allowed Stetcher to play and aggressive game, which was a great compliment to Stetcher's game.  He's not flashy, but smooth, solid and mature.  yesterday his game fell off a bit, and he made some glaring mistakes, but he also made a ton of smart plays that go un-noticed by many people, but are important plays oin the course of a game.  I think we'll see him in Van in 2, maybe 3 years.  If he doesn't make the team next season, I'd lke to see him return to Finland rather than another year of JR

Just now, stawns said:

the first game, I felt he was the best canuck on the ice, without question.  he allowed Stetcher to play and aggressive game, which was a great compliment to Stetcher's game.  He's not flashy, but smooth, solid and mature.  yesterday his game fell off a bit, and he made some glaring mistakes, but he also made a ton of smart plays that go un-noticed by many people, but are important plays oin the course of a game.  I think we'll see him in Van in 2, maybe 3 years.  If he doesn't make the team next season, I'd lke to see him return to Finland rather than another year of JR

Just by watching the highlights, looks like Stecher was a nice scoop so far.

23 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Wouldn't be surprised if they extended Miller for another season.

If he's willing to sign for around 4 mil and take less starts it would be a good way to transition Markstrom into the starting role.

That is an intriguing idea.   If Miller plays at the same level as he did last year, with an improved and healthy defense (losing Edler was the turning point last year) his numbers should go up.  Nothing wrong with having two competent goalies on the squad, and rushing Demko could backfire (another season in the AHL with loads of starts won't hurt him, just as Schneider).  It's either that our we should try and dump him as a rental to a contender that needs help in that position.  Either scenarios should help the Canucks.  

1 hour ago, TimberWolf said:

Canucks these days seem to decide their opening day rosters before training camp. Bo being the best example. For some reason it shocked management he could make the team.

They tend to fill perceived holes with UFA's and trading picks before finding out in camp that those holes could be filled with our current depth. I'd say to give the boys a chance to earn a spot and if that doesn't pan, then you make some deals depending on our level of possible compete ability.

ABSOLUTELY 

i don't care what any homer has to say. Last year both Bart and Weber was overkill. It ultimately burned a home grown asset (Corrado) for nothing.

Say goodbye to Pedan and that 3rd we spent on him. You'd swear we were pacific division favourites by the rate we burn assets. I hope Pedan absolutely blows Benning's mind in camp and has him scrambling. 

35 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Wouldn't be surprised if they extended Miller for another season.

If he's willing to sign for around 4 mil and take less starts it would be a good way to transition Markstrom into the starting role.

Markstrom is ready. I'd sooner take the 4m in cap, acquire/ sign a veteran backup and a winger for Nolan Patrick. 

19 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

ABSOLUTELY 

i don't care what any homer has to say. Last year both Bart and Weber was overkill. It ultimately burned a home ground asset (Corrado) for nothing.

Say goodbye to Pedan and that 3rd we spent on him. You'd swear we were pacific division favourites by the rate we burn assets. I hope Pedan absolutely blows Benning's mind in camp and has him scrambling. 

WAH WAH WAH

(yeah I'm a homer) :)

6 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Markstrom is ready. I'd sooner take the 4m in cap, acquire/ sign a veteran backup and a winger for Nolan Patrick. 

Markstrom isn't going to go from playing 35 games to 70 after this season.

He's gonna need a vet that can take the pressure off him, not a cheap bargain bin backup.

4 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

You guys are meatheads focusing on a goaltending controversy again. The real quotes here are the Marco Roy main camp invite and the 8D target to start the season.

With 8D that means only 13F, so one spare forward out of: Burrows, Sheppard, Gaunce, Virtanen, Rodin.... should make for a competitive camp. 

Maybe we just leave Sheppard out of that list until he gets a contract, 'k?

Archived