The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning on 1040 September 19th

Ossi Vaananen

7 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Cory Schneider did it. 

No he went from 30 to 45 to 69.

Markstrom is going to have to take the majority of the starts this season if he's going to be able to play 70 games the following season.

We'll see how Willie splits the games between him and Miller.

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'm not sure why Benning would pencil in Larsen as the 5th defenseman so quickly. He's proven jack squat at the NHL level, whereas Sbisa and Tryamkin have proven more.

That and his resounding endorsement of Miller (make no mistake about it?) are slightly headache inducing points from today's interview.

Tryamkin has proven more? Tryamkin has played a few games at the end of last season in the NHL where Larsen has 125 games and 31 points. Sure, Tryamkin may have more KHL games, but Larsen has more KHL points.

I think it's clear who has proven more at any level.

11 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Tryamkin has proven more? Tryamkin has played a few games at the end of last season in the NHL where Larsen has 125 games and 31 points. Sure, Tryamkin may have more KHL games, but Larsen has more KHL points.

I think it's clear who has proven more at any level.

If they play Sbisa and Larsen over Tryamkin this organization may be even more short sighted than I thought.

You can't sacrifice Tryamkin's development for a 1 year project player, Trymakin has too much potential.

That'll depend on how his fitness is and how well he plays over a full season. Larsen and Sbisa too obviously, but if Tryamkin has trouble handling more minutes more frequently then I'm not sure how else they could play it. Add to that Larsen's very different skillset compared to Tryamkin and Sbisa and there will be different opportunity for each.

But my point was more centered around saying Larsen has no NHL experience compared to Tryamkin and how it'd reflect on gifting either a spot.

2 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

That'll depend on how his fitness is and how well he plays over a full season. Larsen and Sbisa too obviously, but if Tryamkin has trouble handling more minutes more frequently then I'm not sure how else they could play it. Add to that Larsen's very different skillset compared to Tryamkin and Sbisa and there will be different opportunity for each.

But my point was more centered around saying Larsen has no NHL experience compared to Tryamkin and how it'd reflect on gifting either a spot.

Tryamkin should not come out of the lineup unless he really struggles IMO.

He could potentially be part of the future whereas I don't see Sbisa or Larsen being among that group. These are crucial development years for him, we can't have him hanging out in the pressbox because Willie's worried about his job.

The pairings should either be Sbisa-Tryamkin or Tryamkin-Larsen with Tryamkin learning to play on his off side.

45 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Tryamkin should not come out of the lineup unless he really struggles IMO.

He could potentially be part of the future whereas I don't see Sbisa or Larsen being among that group. These are crucial development years for him, we can't have him hanging out in the pressbox because Willie's worried about his job.

The pairings should either be Sbisa-Tryamkin or Tryamkin-Larsen with Tryamkin learning to play on his off side.

Tryamkin could be rotating as the 7th, which was kind of what he did last year. I'm only surprised that Stecher is not part of this conversation

2 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

Tryamkin could be rotating as the 7th, which was kind of what he did last year. I'm only surprised that Stecher is not part of this conversation

He's shown he can handle bottom pairing minutes.

If they think that he's just a 7th defenseman at this point they might as well trade him. It won't be too long before a KHL team comes sniffing around with a contract. 

This team needs to be developing D, not inserting stop gap guys like Weber and Larsen in the hopes of staying competitive for a season.

This year will be about winning not developing. They have made that clear. It will not matter who is called the #1goal tender. The one who puts up wins will get used. The same will go when it comes to the D. The preseason will give players like Tryamkin ,Stecher and so on, a chance to show what they can bring to the table.

They say that they want to go with 8 D. That tells me that the kids and anyone who can be sent down with no risk will be starting in Utica. We all no that we have been using between 8 and 12 D men.

That means that they will need some decent talent to draw from in Utica. I bet that Biega and Stecher go down unless they blow their socks off in preseason.

I see them giving Miller about 60% of the workload, maybe 65%, to showcase him.

I expect that he will be moved at the deadline (or attempted at least) and that the Canucks will look for a solid backup and a reasonable pick back for him. I'm thinking something around a 2nd or 3rd from a team looking for some depth and security in net for a deep run.

By the end of this season, I think Markstrom will be the clear #1, and will likely finish out the year at or above 50% of the total games because he will start 90% of the games once Miller is traded.

To make Miller the backup at the start of the season provides us with no trade value for Miller. He needs to be given the chance to shine and Markstrom needs to take every opportunity to show that he's ready to take the reigns, full time.

Who says we are showcasing Miller???Plus trymakin will be on the third pair as he said he came here to play.I could see Willie with the bottom pairing rotating Sbisa,Larrsen with each other and the odd game Trymakin for the first month so trymakin knows his role and thenonly rotating Larrsen and Sbisa unless one has a career year!

1 hour ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

I'm excited to see how Carcone plays with better linemates and more structure. I can see him being a 15-20 goal scorer at the NHL level with the skill set he possesses. Great signing, and very intrigued to how he does at camp.  

Yeah, Carcone's been quite good and Benning signing him fairly early in the offseason is looking like a smart move.

Seems like this organization has struck a nice balance between analytics and traditional scouting methods, at least when it comes to their overager draft picks and free agent prospect signings. The Canucks have managed to bring in some of the better prospects according to statistical models (and this can't be a coincidence IMO).

And then the scouts appear to be using their evaluative talent to scoop the cream off the top.

That Marco Roy invite is also looking like a shrewd move. An Edmonton castoff whose stats still suggest around a 25% chance of him making the NHL as a 200 game player. Looking like the Oilers might have given up too early on that kid. Oh well, their loss is our gain.

Seems like our "old school" management is more open to new school methods than they're given credit for. It would be fitting if the next couple years saw Benning and the staff successfully mine some true gems by combining these two approaches (analytics and eye test).

42 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, Carcone's been quite good and Benning signing him fairly early in the offseason is looking like a smart move.

Seems like this organization has struck a nice balance between analytics and traditional scouting methods, at least when it comes to their overager draft picks and free agent prospect signings. The Canucks have managed to bring in some of the better prospects according to statistical models (and this can't be a coincidence IMO).

And then the scouts appear to be using their evaluative talent to scoop the cream off the top.

That Marco Roy invite is also looking like a shrewd move. An Edmonton castoff whose stats still suggest around a 25% chance of him making the NHL as a 200 game player. Looking like the Oilers might have given up too early on that kid. Oh well, their loss is our gain.

Seems like our "old school" management is more open to new school methods than they're given credit for. It would be fitting if the next couple years saw Benning and the staff successfully mine some true gems by combining these two approaches (analytics and eye test).

It's truly incredible how Benning has restocked our prospects cupboard in such a hurry. Sure, Benning hasn't always been perfect (McCann, for example), but the majority of them have been very promising.

Night and day difference with Nonis/Burke/Gillis regimes.

Archived