The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning on 1040 September 19th

Ossi Vaananen

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Stecher is 22.  Our prospects are average to good, but we really have no one elite.  

Kind of like Lake Wobegon where all the children are above average.

But I am going to go out on a limb and say that some of our prospects are BELOW AVERAGE, some are average and some are above average.

Of course, we have to be clear about the population we are talking about. Among all young players, anyone who gets to the Young stars tournament is way above average. But if the pool we are talking about is players who make it to the Young stars and/or were drafted, then some of the Canuck prospects at the young stars pretty much have to be below average.

There are some interesting players coming out of the young stars, but it seems pretty clear that no-one on this year's Canuck young stars team will make the big team this year. From my point of view, I did not see any "complete" players. The best Canuck skater was probably Stecher, although Cassels might get a few votes. I would love Stecher if he was 6 inches taller and 15 lbs heavier but, at 5-8 on the updated Canuck roster, he obviously does not have the size you want at the NHL level. But I agree that I expect him to be good in Utica this year and that he may have a shot at the NHL sooner or later. 

I was interested to see JB's comment about Juolevi saying "he needs to get used to the strength and speed of the pro game" (or something like that). Translation: Even at the young stars level Juolevi looked softer and slower than we hoped for. I still agree that Juolevi is an excellent prospect but, as Benning's comments indicated, he is a long way from being ready for the NHL and there is no way he will make the team this year. And I think he is a longshot to make the Canucks next year as well.

17 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

You know what that means? Benning needs to make a series of trades to acquire all of team Sweden. He's already got one forward line and a Goalie. Edler can fill in for somebody.

Could of had Nylander...but took Virtanen.  This mistake will haunt them for years and lead to Jim Benning's demise!

He continues to try to prop him up but....

9 hours ago, JamesB said:

But I am going to go out on a limb and say that some of our prospects are BELOW AVERAGE, some are average and some are above average.

Of course, we have to be clear about the population we are talking about. Among all young players, anyone who gets to the Young stars tournament is way above average. But if the pool we are talking about is players who make it to the Young stars and/or were drafted, then some of the Canuck prospects at the young stars pretty much have to be below average.

There are some interesting players coming out of the young stars, but it seems pretty clear that no-one on this year's Canuck young stars team will make the big team this year. From my point of view, I did not see any "complete" players. The best Canuck skater was probably Stecher, although Cassels might get a few votes. I would love Stecher if he was 6 inches taller and 15 lbs heavier but, at 5-8 on the updated Canuck roster, he obviously does not have the size you want at the NHL level. But I agree that I expect him to be good in Utica this year and that he may have a shot at the NHL sooner or later. 

I was interested to see JB's comment about Juolevi saying "he needs to get used to the strength and speed of the pro game" (or something like that). Translation: Even at the young stars level Juolevi looked softer and slower than we hoped for. I still agree that Juolevi is an excellent prospect but, as Benning's comments indicated, he is a long way from being ready for the NHL and there is no way he will make the team this year. And I think he is a longshot to make the Canucks next year as well.

Torey Krug , Jared Spurgeon, Brian Rafalski, Tyson Barrie, etc.  

10 hours ago, JamesB said:

Did you actually watch the young stars games?

4 hours ago, hookshott said:

Could of had Nylander...but took Virtanen.  This mistake will haunt them for years and lead to Jim Benning's demise!

He continues to try to prop him up but....

Nonsense....Nylander and Virtanen are completely different players..... Just for the hell of it.,lets compare the Leafs and Canucks picks in 2014....here they are..:

Virtanen....Nylander

McCann....Vallev

Demko.... Piccinich

Tryamkin....Joshua

I'm sure Benning is not being haunted by those picks...Could be one of the best Canucks drafts in more than a decade.

12 hours ago, Bandwagon38 said:

We don't need him this year.  We are bursting with bottom 4 defence as it is.  Read the discussion about Tryamkin, sounds like he is serious about the third pairing.  Give Joulevi another year under Hunter and a great Knights program and come back next year stronger and more ready to make the jump.  

I'm really pumped about Tryamkin. Sounds like he took his cardio seriously in the off season, and I think his reach can help bail him out of the inevitable mistakes he'll make in his 1st full season. That plus, you know, knocking over Kesler and Getlaff a couple of dozen times would be nice.

20 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Apparently some people only consider top 3 picks as elite, even though top 3 picks can bust too.

You can put whatever titles you want on prospects though, all I care about is that they make the NHL. What they do at the lower levels means nothing of they never make the big show.

why even bother with this...everyone knows high school valedictorian equals Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg, right?

19 hours ago, JamesB said:

I agree.  We have various levels of prospects.  My issue is we lack the elite guy or two that so many other teams have in their ranks. Who are the guys representing us at the World Cup.  They are all really old, except Markstrom.  Where is our elite youth?  

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

I agree.  We have various levels of prospects.  My issue is we lack the elite guy or two that so many other teams have in their ranks. Who are the guys representing us at the World Cup.  They are all really old, except Markstrom.  Where is our elite youth?  

No argument from me. We have discussed the fact that pretty much all Stanley Cup finalists have two or three franchise players. We don't have those elite players any more now that the Sedins are into their mid-30s. We missed a generation (i.e. guys now in their mid-20s through early 30s) and, as a result, we have no younger guys playing at the World Cup as skaters. And there are no guys with obvious franchise potential even among the prospects.

We were all hoping to pick up a guy with franchise player potential in the draft this year. (After such a bad year last year we deserved something.) But it looks to me like there was a big drop-off from #4 to #5. Juolevi is a good young prospect but he was not a stand out at the young stars. But, it is still early for guys like Juolevi, Boeser, Virtanen and even Horvat and Baertschi and Tryamkin.

6 hours ago, JamesB said:

No argument from me. We have discussed the fact that pretty much all Stanley Cup finalists have two or three franchise players. We don't have those elite players any more now that the Sedins are into their mid-30s. We missed a generation (i.e. guys now in their mid-20s through early 30s) and, as a result, we have no younger guys playing at the World Cup as skaters. And there are no guys with obvious franchise potential even among the prospects.

We were all hoping to pick up a guy with franchise player potential in the draft this year. (After such a bad year last year we deserved something.) But it looks to me like there was a big drop-off from #4 to #5. Juolevi is a good young prospect but he was not a stand out at the young stars. But, it is still early for guys like Juolevi, Boeser, Virtanen and even Horvat and Baertschi and Tryamkin.

You kind of contradict yourself here. 

On 9/19/2016 at 2:37 PM, TimberWolf said:

Canucks these days seem to decide their opening day rosters before training camp. Bo being the best example. For some reason it shocked management he could make the team.

They tend to fill perceived holes with UFA's and trading picks before finding out in camp that those holes could be filled with our current depth. I'd say to give the boys a chance to earn a spot and if that doesn't pan, then you make some deals depending on our level of possible compete ability.

What a lame-ass comment.  Yeah buddy, they have a provisional depth chart, and some provisional projections for the season. They're probably the only team that has that.  And your proof that they have made their minds up in advance is that they changed their minds with Bo.  Yeah.  Bright.

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Is this an interpretation of speculation, or speculation of interpretation?

A bunch of us have played around with the roster long enough that suddenly its set in stone and we can project angst, even though camp hasn't happened.

For all of those that believe it, yes, Benning is an idiot who is doing everything wrong and being dishonest.  Spare us.

Archived