The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Definitive Thread of Unequivocal Boredom

Rate this topic

Tre Mac

On 12/28/2020 at 6:51 PM, brilac said:

You live in a really neat area! My lease is up in a few months and I am going to compare rents for cheaper places.  It's hard going back to school.  I live in an expensive area and work during the day and I need to work to support myself.  I am trying to do online classes part time.  This week I am deciding what I want to major in and where I can do it online.  I signed up for two classes, but there's a program that I am very interested in, and if I can do it fully online, I am going to do that.  I first went to college when I was 17 and graduated at 19 with a 2-year degree.  At 20, I was accepted to the University of Hawaii at Manoa.  I didn't realize that I applied for the Winter quarter and had to leave right away, so I didn't go and applied for the following quarter and was accepted. I didn't go.  I don't know what I was thinking at age 20.  

How tf did you not realize you had the change to live and study in Hawaii?

Thats &^@#ed.

I tried to convince my wife to sell our house and move to Hawaii... unfortunately neither can work there.

You're insane.

4 hours ago, luckylager said:

Thats &^@#ed.

I tried to convince my wife to sell our house and move to Hawaii... unfortunately neither can work there.

You're insane.

Key words:  I was 20.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Still trying to decide what I want to major in.  I’m deciding between Business and Web Development.  Business I can do online, but I’m having a hard time finding a college that I can take all online classes for Web Development.  For Business, I’m interested in taking a business law class and economics, and I get excited when it comes to saving money and planning my expenses. Web Development, I’m very interested in that.

8 hours ago, luckylager said:

Thats &^@#ed.

You're insane.

Does your wife have a criminal record? Cuz that can preclude you from working abroad in many cases.

Also, if your wife DOES have a criminal record? Not gonna lie, that's kinda hawt

• Cheers 2
4 hours ago, brilac said:

Still trying to decide what I want to major in.  I’m deciding between Business and Web Development.  Business I can do online, but I’m having a hard time finding a college that I can take all online classes for Web Development.  For Business, I’m interested in taking a business law class and economics, and I get excited when it comes to saving money and planning my expenses. Web Development, I’m very interested in that.

Business law would be a law degree I believe.  Economics also is its own department, and not in the department of management (business).  If you want to learn more about finances I would suggest taking finance, or even accounting.  In my introductory to finance course we learned how to calculate mortgage, NPV, annuity, etc.  it was a third year course, you will most likely need some prerequisites (100-level math + accounting most likely).

Economics is fun.  I wouldn't major in it if you struggle with math though.  Introductory - intermediate economic courses aren't too bad but when you get to advanced economics it's a lot of calculus.  I just finished intermediate micro, and macro and calculus was starting to become introduced as we moved away from the basic ideas of economics (supply and demand, IS-LM curves, scarcity, opportunity costs, etc.).

• Cheers 1
4 hours ago, BoKnows said:

Business law would be a law degree I believe.  Economics also is its own department, and not in the department of management (business).  If you want to learn more about finances I would suggest taking finance, or even accounting.  In my introductory to finance course we learned how to calculate mortgage, NPV, annuity, etc.  it was a third year course, you will most likely need some prerequisites (100-level math + accounting most likely).

Economics is fun.  I wouldn't major in it if you struggle with math though.  Introductory - intermediate economic courses aren't too bad but when you get to advanced economics it's a lot of calculus.  I just finished intermediate micro, and macro and calculus was starting to become introduced as we moved away from the basic ideas of economics (supply and demand, IS-LM curves, scarcity, opportunity costs, etc.).

Business Law and Economics are part of the requirements for earning a business degree for the school I am at. What are you majoring in?

• Cheers 1
13 minutes ago, brilac said:

Business Law and Economics are part of the requirements for earning a business degree for the school I am at. What are you majoring in?

I'm getting my HBCom in Sports Admin, I had to take both entry level micro and macro first year, and will be required to take a sports law class my last year.  These are all compulsory courses to get my HBCom.  You can't specialize your Comm, or BBA in economics or law though.

• Cheers 1

Watching Photographers Notebook on King5.  They just talked about a massive shooting that happened in downtown Seattle last January.  It seems like a really long time ago.  Then it made me realize where I was at.  I was a few blocks away from it. I was going to leave work early before it happened and would have been at the bus stop where the Walgreens is on 3rd by Macy's and McDonalds when it happened. But for no reason, I stayed at work.  Then 10 minutes later, I was getting text messages asking where I was at, etc.  And said I was still at work. I then looked around and outside, grabbed my bag and coat and left. And thought I need to hurry up and get down to the waterfront. I got to the waterfront where the water taxi was at.  Downtown was a mess and the water taxi area was packed.  It took me two hours to get home when it normally took me 20-30 minutes. 

Now they are talking about the horror of what happened with the protests in downtown Seattle.

• Cheers 1
On 12/31/2020 at 10:45 PM, brilac said:

Watching Photographers Notebook on King5.  They just talked about a massive shooting that happened in downtown Seattle last January.  It seems like a really long time ago.  Then it made me realize where I was at.  I was a few blocks away from it. I was going to leave work early before it happened and would have been at the bus stop where the Walgreens is on 3rd by Macy's and McDonalds when it happened. But for no reason, I stayed at work.  Then 10 minutes later, I was getting text messages asking where I was at, etc.  And said I was still at work. I then looked around and outside, grabbed my bag and coat and left. And thought I need to hurry up and get down to the waterfront. I got to the waterfront where the water taxi was at.  Downtown was a mess and the water taxi area was packed.  It took me two hours to get home when it normally took me 20-30 minutes. 

Now they are talking about the horror of what happened with the protests in downtown Seattle.

That nuts, reminds me of the time me and my buddy were en route to jam and we drove by the building that had the infamous Surrey 6 slayings, never seen so many cop cars on scene.

• 2 weeks later...

I received my lease renewal today.  The renewal is for the same amount I agreed upon when I signed a lease renewal last year.  The thing is, all the apartment buildings in my area including the building have lowered their rates including other areas in Seattle.  I emailed the manager stating the facts with links showing what other buildings are offering and asked if they can lower it.  The average rent right now in Seattle is in the $1400s for a one bedroom and the lease renewal offer is for more than that.  I'm irritated.  I knew this would happen, that I would be given a lease renewal at the same rate.  What do they think? That I don't know how much apartments are going for in my area and Seattle?! There's a rent moratorium in place right now that tenants cannot be evicted for not paying rent and it is most likely to be extended past March 31st.  Do they know it's much cheaper to keep a paying tenant than to have them move out and then have the unit vacant for who knows how long?!  Are they using fear of getting sick while moving to keep the rent the same?!  It would be really easy for me to move down the street.  I could move in the off times and have the protective gear I need, and pay someone in the building to help me move the boxspring and mattress. The couch, the City of Seattle will haul it away for $25-$50. I will see tomorrow when the manager responds if they agree to a new lease renewal with a lower rate. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

I'm waiting to hear back again from the property manager about the lease renewal. I was offered one month free rent and no pet rent with the same rate. I counter offered. Rent is going down in Seattle.  Then I saw what the place is offering down the street, and they knocked off $100, it's cheap. So I am waiting. I'm kind of stuck right now - waiting to hear back or apply for the place down the street. 

• Cheers 1
On 1/19/2021 at 3:13 PM, brilac said:

I'm waiting to hear back again from the property manager about the lease renewal. I was offered one month free rent and no pet rent with the same rate. I counter offered. Rent is going down in Seattle.  Then I saw what the place is offering down the street, and they knocked off $100, it's cheap. So I am waiting. I'm kind of stuck right now - waiting to hear back or apply for the place down the street. 

Renting is so stressful, been trying to find a place nearby for my dad.  One place said they wouldn't rent to anyone who smoked.  I found a place up the street and when I acquired they said the only place they have available is $200 more a month.  Finally found a place for him and will have to see if he can apply for some senior aid to knock down the rent a bit hopefully.

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking at pictures on past phones and came across these.  The first picture was of planning of which Ice Pack I was going to choose for Canucks games.  I don't remember what year it was, but it was most likely I choose B-4 because it had the most Friday, Saturday, and Sunday games.  C-1 is interesting.  At that time, I really liked it when the Canucks and Bruins played against each other, but I would not have attended a Canucks vs Canadiens game in Vancouver. 

3BE4C404-4F0E-4DFE-9E1C-F91E62B90471.thumb.jpeg.143b2cb3bd17bae327a597bdab00b5c7.jpeg

This picture, I most likely woke up brushed my teeth and washed my face, and that was it.  No hair brushing and half awake, and went out looking like this.  The "half awake" look. 

When things get better and I can go get my hair cut, I may get a pixie cut. Some are concerned about having their hair chopped off, not me, it's great. 

7F9A7075-CE24-49DE-86A8-547123EE03DA.thumb.jpeg.4c25a877618a6666c531112548e497e0.jpeg

Edited by brilac
  • Cheers 1

Can't believe it's been almost a year since this pandemic started.  The one good thing to come out of this is I started jogging regularly.  Can't wait to incorporate that into my exercise along with swimming when things open it again.

On 2/4/2021 at 8:26 PM, brilac said:

Some are concerned about having their hair chopped off, not me, it's great. 

I am just concerned with having hair lol.

• Cheers 1