The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Definitive Thread of Unequivocal Boredom

Rate this topic

Tre Mac

15 hours ago, brilac said:

That's a sweet couch!  I like your living room.  What type of guitar is that?

The couch was 3k CDN from article, the leather scuffs easily but it's full aniline.  The closest guitar is a Les Paul I dubbed it Big Gib, the furthest one you can't really see is my fav though and the one I play the most.  I just had new floors put in, only thing left to do is paint and coffee table set but that's going to have to wait until next year.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, brilac said:

Yeah @Tre Mac, I work from home. The suburbs are even expensive.  Everything is expensive. Maybe I will think about this over wine. 

Off the subject, but one particular time I could not decide if I really needed this fushia Marc by Marc Jacobs handbag.  After a few of the lavender martinis, my mind was made up! I took the escalator downstairs to the handbag department at Nordstrom and bought it.  Nordstrom has a bar inside most of their stores. 

I know , I had to cut back on a lot of things.  I hated drinking so I quit that 4 years ago, quit cigarettes 3 years ago, only drink water and I stopped buying lottery tickets.  Sucks my raise in pay never matches inflation and each year I lose a bit more.  Owning a detached house will never happen here unless I get married to a someone in the exact same boat as me financially.  

• Cheers 1
25 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I know , I had to cut back on a lot of things.  I hated drinking so I quit that 4 years ago, quit cigarettes 3 years ago, only drink water and I stopped buying lottery tickets.  Sucks my raise in pay never matches inflation and each year I lose a bit more.  Owning a detached house will never happen here unless I get married to a someone in the exact same boat as me financially.  

I enjoy drinking wine and champagne and I don't smoke now.  I was little of a social smoker at the bars and when drinking wine when I was in my early 20s. I was never addicted to cigarettes.  I don't plan on buying a home, but I am interested in those really tiny homes about 300-600 sq feet.  I'm going to get married when I am 50. I enjoy being single, but I may consider dating when things get somewhat sort of normal.  I once had a boyfriend and I suggested that getting matching Canucks tattoos would be an ideal date.  He did not take it the same way as me and got on me about it and how could I be serious about it.  

• Cheers 1
  • 3 weeks later...

So after thinking about my lease renewal and where I want to live, I decided to stay where I am at, and even though I am not too crazy about the rent, I got the pet rent waived.  I thought about South Lake Union and Bellevue, and Bellevue is more expensive than where I live, and South Lake Union is close to downtown Seattle, and downtown Seattle is not safe.  I checked the rates for the buildings near me and they are more expensive than what I will be paying.  Gosh, everything is expensive. 

Edited by brilac
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
17 hours ago, brilac said:

So after thinking about my lease renewal and where I want to live, I decided to stay where I am at, and even though I am not too crazy about the rent, I got the pet rent waived.  I thought about South Lake Union and Bellevue, and Bellevue is more expensive than where I live, and South Lake Union is close to downtown Seattle, and downtown Seattle is not safe.  I checked the rates for the buildings near me and they are more expensive than what I will be paying.  Gosh, everything is expensive. 

It is everywhere.  I am lucky I got my dad in for a reasonable amount because it has skyrocketed since.

18 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

It is everywhere.  I am lucky I got my dad in for a reasonable amount because it has skyrocketed since.

Yeah, there's no rent control in Seattle. There's been new rules set in Seattle since September/October that landlords must comply and that it doesn't apply to rent control.  This is happening everywhere in Seattle with the higher rents.  Another reason why I am renewing my lease is because I factored the cost of moving and other rents in Seattle and outside of Seattle, and it right now it's better to renew.  If the place down the street or other buildings in the neighborhood had cheaper rent that would equal to be less over 12 months including moving costs and fees, then it would be a benefit to move. If the place down the street was offering cheaper rent - I could move at 2am.  I don't have much stuff in my apartment, and the City of Seattle pick up the couch and I could have someone help me carry the mattress and boxspring.  So I am going to pay the new rate starting in a few months for the place I am in.  I don't like the new rate, but it's cheaper than what other places are going for. 

Edited by brilac
  • Cheers 1
  • 1 month later...

As I sit here on my couch on this fine Sunday morning at 4am, I realize that I don't like the new furniture arrangement.  I moved my desk from my bedroom to my living room so I could utilize the chair.  When my desk was in my bedroom, I used the side of my bed as a chair.  As I am looking at this arrangement, it looks cluttered, and I don't like that.  The manual treadmill I had in the corner, I moved it into my closet, and I had to re-organize the clothes that were hanging, making it disorganized and tight, and I don't like that arrangement either.  And in-fact, I don't like the new arrangement overall.  So between 4am-5am and maybe past 5am, I will be moving everything back.

What else is there to do at 4am/5am on a Sunday morning?...  

I like things to be perfect or almost perfect, and this arrangement is just not happening for me. 

• Cheers 1
On 2/12/2022 at 2:26 PM, brilac said:

Yeah, there's no rent control in Seattle. There's been new rules set in Seattle since September/October that landlords must comply and that it doesn't apply to rent control.  This is happening everywhere in Seattle with the higher rents.  Another reason why I am renewing my lease is because I factored the cost of moving and other rents in Seattle and outside of Seattle, and it right now it's better to renew.  If the place down the street or other buildings in the neighborhood had cheaper rent that would equal to be less over 12 months including moving costs and fees, then it would be a benefit to move. If the place down the street was offering cheaper rent - I could move at 2am.  I don't have much stuff in my apartment, and the City of Seattle pick up the couch and I could have someone help me carry the mattress and boxspring.  So I am going to pay the new rate starting in a few months for the place I am in.  I don't like the new rate, but it's cheaper than what other places are going for. 

Hey, random question. I’m considering moving to Seattle. I didn’t know that there was no rent control there. How much is rent increased every year? Do they only increase rent if you don’t sign another yearly lease?

I work from home, so I’m considering moving to the Laurelhurst area. Is that a nice area as a whole?

I originally planned on moving to the southwest side of Ballard, but I hear some areas there aren’t that nice, so that makes choosing a place difficult. I’ve been to Seattle, I’ve just never been to those two neighbourhoods.

i do plan on visiting those areas before making the move but any insight I can get beforehand would be helpful.

If it matters, I’m hoping to get a 1-bedroom for around $1800 and I currently live in Los Angeles. So, it’s either those two areas or hopefully Torrance down here in LA. One thing I hear people complain a lot about Seattle is the job market, so I’m a little concerned about that. Is it really that bad?

Nothing definitive yet so I’m willing to stay put if that makes more sense.

• Cheers 1
7 hours ago, Dedalus said:

Hey, random question. I’m considering moving to Seattle. I didn’t know that there was no rent control there. How much is rent increased every year? Do they only increase rent if you don’t sign another yearly lease?

I work from home, so I’m considering moving to the Laurelhurst area. Is that a nice area as a whole?

I originally planned on moving to the southwest side of Ballard, but I hear some areas there aren’t that nice, so that makes choosing a place difficult. I’ve been to Seattle, I’ve just never been to those two neighbourhoods.

i do plan on visiting those areas before making the move but any insight I can get beforehand would be helpful.

If it matters, I’m hoping to get a 1-bedroom for around $1800 and I currently live in Los Angeles. So, it’s either those two areas or hopefully Torrance down here in LA. One thing I hear people complain a lot about Seattle is the job market, so I’m a little concerned about that. Is it really that bad?

Nothing definitive yet so I’m willing to stay put if that makes more sense.

The building I live in, per the lease I just signed, they are going to increase the rent by 9.5% every year for lease renewals.  If I did not sign, they would impose a new rate that would be higher and then they could increase the rent again after that.  I looked at other places online before signing my lease such as Bellevue, other buildings in my neighborhood, and South Lake Union, and the rent is higher than what my lease renewal was for.  

Why do you want to move to Seattle? There are many beautiful places in WA state such as the Spokane area and the Olympic Peninsula.  The only reason I signed my lease renewal because it was cheaper to stay than to pay for a place that cost more as well as moving costs.  There are some perks through for where I live.  Like parks, trails, trees, water, and a beach near by.  

For finding a place to live in Seattle, I would stay away from living downtown, Capitol Hill, anywhere near downtown.  Have you thought of West Seattle?

• Cheers 1
3 hours ago, brilac said:

The building I live in, per the lease I just signed, they are going to increase the rent by 9.5% every year for lease renewals.  If I did not sign, they would impose a new rate that would be higher and then they could increase the rent again after that.  I looked at other places online before signing my lease such as Bellevue, other buildings in my neighborhood, and South Lake Union, and the rent is higher than what my lease renewal was for.  

Why do you want to move to Seattle? There are many beautiful places in WA state such as the Spokane area and the Olympic Peninsula.  The only reason I signed my lease renewal because it was cheaper to stay than to pay for a place that cost more as well as moving costs.  There are some perks through for where I live.  Like parks, trails, trees, water, and a beach near by.  

For finding a place to live in Seattle, I would stay away from living downtown, Capitol Hill, anywhere near downtown.  Have you thought of West Seattle?

Seattle specifically as opposed to anywhere else in Washington? Well, I still enjoy city life. I like seeing live music, going to breweries, sports events, and being close to somewhere with a nightlife is important so I can meet people. 

Seattle as opposed to Los Angeles? I want to be close to Vancouver/friends/family.

I have very briefly looked at West Seattle in the past but I couldn’t find a lot of information on it, except that it is very suburban and quite a ways from stuff to do, mind you I expect to do some driving anyway because I do like going on hikes.

• Cheers 1
33 minutes ago, Dedalus said:

Seattle specifically as opposed to anywhere else in Washington? Well, I still enjoy city life. I like seeing live music, going to breweries, sports events, and being close to somewhere with a nightlife is important so I can meet people. 

Seattle as opposed to Los Angeles? I want to be close to Vancouver/friends/family.

I have very briefly looked at West Seattle in the past but I couldn’t find a lot of information on it, except that it is very suburban and quite a ways from stuff to do, mind you I expect to do some driving anyway because I do like going on hikes.

I'm more of a homebody, but before the pandemic, I enjoyed drinking wine at Purple.  It's a wine bar in downtown Seattle.  Living in Seattle is a good location for going up to Vancouver and over to Victoria.  Kenmore Air used to fly seaplanes over to Victoria and up to Vancouver.  Plus you can fly over to Victoria and up to Vancouver on Alaska Air and Air Canada to Victoria and Vancouver, and take the bus or train to Vancouver.  There's also a ferry from Port Angeles that goes to Victoria as well as a ferry that is seasonal from Anacortes to Sidney.  Right now due to the pandemic, I don't think the seaplanes nor ferries are running, and I am not sure about the train to Vancouver and back, but I'm sure that they will resume within the next year or sooner.  There's also the Victoria Clipper that goes from Seattle to Victoria, but that is not running right now. 

These days I've been going to the Kraken games and going to the park and enjoying the trails, walks, and water for getting out.  

Edited by brilac
  • Cheers 2

Today, I'm looking at my Internet bill and I'm like - this is not to my liking, I need to save some money.  So I log onto my account and see a better offer, and change my plan.  Then out of curiosity, I look at the different offers again for Internet, and see new offers on top of the offer I just switched to, and better offers, so I call the cable company because the offer I switched to included an early termination fee and I wanted to see if that meant cancelling service and switching plans or just cancelling service.

The first call consisted of a bunch of ummms for 20 minutes by the rep and being advised that he did not see the new plan I wanted on his end. Then he got me over to the sales department, which I thought I was speaking to the sales department.  I start speaking to a sales rep, and after confirming my address, there is silence for a few minutes and I say - are you there? Hello there?  No answer, so I hang up.  

Then I decide to change my plan online and keep getting errors, and it prompts the sales number to call.  I call the number.  I speak to a rep, and they don't see the plan I am looking at on my screen, and the rep offers to transfer me over to the sales department.  I tell the rep that I thought I was speaking to the sales department.  After being on the phone for a total of 45 minutes - the first and second calls, I tell the rep I am going to screen shot what I see on my end and print it out, and then go to the office and see if I can get this offer.  Or better yet, log into my account on my   phone and screenshot it, or log into my account on my phone so I can show them. 

It's probably a glitch in their system on my account, but hey, it's showing as a better offer on my account.  

I have a headache now after speaking with them and being on the phone for 45 minutes.  I don't like calling them, so I need to remember that in person is best and so is online, but in this case, the phone calls were definitely not best as well as switching plans online. 

Edited by brilac
  • Cheers 1
On 3/14/2022 at 6:51 PM, brilac said:

Today, I'm looking at my Internet bill and I'm like - this is not to my liking, I need to save some money.  So I log onto my account and see a better offer, and change my plan.  Then out of curiosity, I look at the different offers again for Internet, and see new offers on top of the offer I just switched to, and better offers, so I call the cable company because the offer I switched to included an early termination fee and I wanted to see if that meant cancelling service and switching plans or just cancelling service.

The first call consisted of a bunch of ummms for 20 minutes by the rep and being advised that he did not see the new plan I wanted on his end. Then he got me over to the sales department, which I thought I was speaking to the sales department.  I start speaking to a sales rep, and after confirming my address, there is silence for a few minutes and I say - are you there? Hello there?  No answer, so I hang up.  

Then I decide to change my plan online and keep getting errors, and it prompts the sales number to call.  I call the number.  I speak to a rep, and they don't see the plan I am looking at on my screen, and the rep offers to transfer me over to the sales department.  I tell the rep that I thought I was speaking to the sales department.  After being on the phone for a total of 45 minutes - the first and second calls, I tell the rep I am going to screen shot what I see on my end and print it out, and then go to the office and see if I can get this offer.  Or better yet, log into my account on my   phone and screenshot it, or log into my account on my phone so I can show them. 

It's probably a glitch in their system on my account, but hey, it's showing as a better offer on my account.  

I have a headache now after speaking with them and being on the phone for 45 minutes.  I don't like calling them, so I need to remember that in person is best and so is online, but in this case, the phone calls were definitely not best as well as switching plans online. 

I see commercials for Sprint or Verizon and would kill for those deals.  We pay so much for internet up here, it's so corrupt. 

I was watching hockey on a Seattle channel in the background then some show called Seattle refined came on.  They did a piece on a donut shop called Dough Joy and it made me incredibly hungry.  I think they're based in Capitol Hill??  

I don't know where to get a decent donut near by, I'm sure Vancouver has some but that's too far.  I remember Krispy Kreme had that New York Cheesecake donut and OMFG I am almost glad that's not around or I'd be tipping the scales at 300lbs.  

15 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I see commercials for Sprint or Verizon and would kill for those deals.  We pay so much for internet up here, it's so corrupt. 

I was watching hockey on a Seattle channel in the background then some show called Seattle refined came on.  They did a piece on a donut shop called Dough Joy and it made me incredibly hungry.  I think they're based in Capitol Hill??  

I don't know where to get a decent donut near by, I'm sure Vancouver has some but that's too far.  I remember Krispy Kreme had that New York Cheesecake donut and OMFG I am almost glad that's not around or I'd be tipping the scales at 300lbs.  

I have T-Mobile and I really like them.  And then there's the Internet provider... and I don't think too much positives about them.  I don't know what I was thinking the other day.  Speaking to people in person is so much better.  So when the next Kraken game comes up that I have tickets to, I will stop by the office and speak to them about my Internet service.  Climate Pledge Arena is close by and I can stop by there on my way to the hockey game. 

How much do you pay for Internet or Internet and cable?  

I watch Seattle Refined and go to their website.  The show comes on at 3pm and then it's the news after that.  I like pet of the week - did you check out Chandler? 

I Googled Dough Joy.  It looks pretty yummy.  I usually don't gain weight, but sometimes I do - when I have too much champagne, pizza, Thai, Chipotle, and/or dessert.  It adds 5 pounds to the scale, and I'm like - what happened?  But if I do gain weight, I gain in my thighs. 

• Cheers 1
1 hour ago, brilac said:

I have T-Mobile and I really like them.  And then there's the Internet provider... and I don't think too much positives about them.  I don't know what I was thinking the other day.  Speaking to people in person is so much better.  So when the next Kraken game comes up that I have tickets to, I will stop by the office and speak to them about my Internet service.  Climate Pledge Arena is close by and I can stop by there on my way to the hockey game. 

How much do you pay for Internet or Internet and cable?  

I watch Seattle Refined and go to their website.  The show comes on at 3pm and then it's the news after that.  I like pet of the week - did you check out Chandler? 

I Googled Dough Joy.  It looks pretty yummy.  I usually don't gain weight, but sometimes I do - when I have too much champagne, pizza, Thai, Chipotle, and/or dessert.  It adds 5 pounds to the scale, and I'm like - what happened?  But if I do gain weight, I gain in my thighs. 

I added Internet on my dad's plan and it was an $100 a month.  Our cel plans are even worse.

30 minutes ago, brilac said:

Seems kind of boring that my teams are not playing today.  Like what do I watch?  The Maple Leafs documentary series?  Or replays of awesome goals or games?  Oh gosh. 

Do you have ESPN+? The 30 for 30 series is pretty good

• Cheers 1
2 minutes ago, brilac said:

Yeah I do.  I have not watched that.  I should do that.  I am watching Hulu right now and having a burger and fries. 

Nice!

There’s around three or four seasons, so there’s a lot of documentaries. There’s also a few hockey-related ones, but I haven’t watched all of them. I liked Kings Ransom and Into the Wind. My favourite non-30 for 30 so far is The Russian Five, though. I think it’s on Plex

• Cheers 1
3 minutes ago, Dedalus said:

Nice!

There’s around three or four seasons, so there’s a lot of documentaries. There’s also a few hockey-related ones, but I haven’t watched all of them. I liked Kings Ransom and Into the Wind. My favourite non-30 for 30 so far is The Russian Five, though. I think it’s on Plex

Great, I watched Once Brothers on ESPN+.  It was recommended to me. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1