The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Media Day Live Stream - 20 Players + Management

Ossi Vaananen

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Possible, but unlikely IMO.

Not that it matters since both lines will likely get roughly the same minutes.

Honestly, the comments today were very interesting. WD previously seemed to resist (somewhat understandably) putting Baer/Horvat together but today they come out saying Baer will get first shot at 2LW and him and Horvat are a 'pair'.

VERY interesting comments IMO.

20 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Honestly, the comments today were very interesting. WD previously seemed to resist (somewhat understandably) putting Baer/Horvat together but today they come out saying Baer will get first shot at 2LW and him and Horvat are a 'pair'.

I took it as Baertschi will get a shot on the second line with Sutter, but he sees him and Bo being a pair on the third line.

I see Burrows - Sutter - Hansen as the likely "2nd line". Those guys all play similar styles that should compliment each other. Hopefully they can come up with the greasy goals when we need them.

20 minutes ago, BowtieCanuck said:

Willie D seemed to say a lot of things that made me think he didn't learn much from last season. I have a feeling that Travis Green will be behind the bench by the end of the season.

Could be.  I wonder if Jaarvis has been brought on to lead the team if willie fails.  Then the team can decide between Jaarvis and Green.  I'm just speculating lol. its fun to speculate.

5 hours ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

I'll reserve judgment until the results come in...but a Virtanen/Rodin/Hansen line just sounds weird.

It'll be a fast, fast line if it works.

Like scary fast. And tough on the outsides too. It *could* work if Tony Roma can take the faceoffs.

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I took it as Baertschi will get a shot on the second line with Sutter, but he sees him and Bo being a pair on the third line.

I see Burrows - Sutter - Hansen as the likely "2nd line". Those guys all play similar styles that should compliment each other. Hopefully they can come up with the greasy goals when we need them.

Optics require the B. S. Hans line to be called the 2nd line until they aren't...WD may be waffling on it already after reviewing Horvat's second half of the season which was stellar, if Rodin clicks or Virtanen has a breakthrough Bo's line will get as many minutes.

I hope Sutter and Hansen can click and push the issue of who is 2nd line....

1 minute ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Optics require the B. S. Hans line to be called the 2nd line until they aren't...WD may be waffling on it already after reviewing Horvat's second half of the season which was stellar, if Rodin clicks or Virtanen has a breakthrough Bo's line will get as many minutes.

I hope Sutter and Hansen can click and push the issue of who is 2nd line....

Willie is the type of coach that leans on vets and likes lines that he can trust defensively. That will likely mean the Sutter line gets more minutes on most nights where the score is close. That's a good shutdown "minute munching" line.

In games where we're behind and we need more offense Bo's line will likely get more minutes. It doesn't really matter at the end of the day which line gets 15 minutes and which line gets 13 minutes, it's all about having options based on what kind of game we're in.

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Willie is the type of coach that leans on vets and likes lines that he can trust defensively. That will likely mean the Sutter line gets more minutes on most nights where the score is close. That's a good shutdown "minute munching" line.

In games where we're behind and we need more offense Bo's line will likely get more minutes. It doesn't really matter at the end of the day which line gets 15 minutes and which line gets 13 minutes, it's all about having options based on what kind of game we're in.

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I agree...I just read this from Ben Kuzma today,talking about Baertschi:

quote;

Now the talk is of increased potential as a consistent second-line left-winger with Bo Horvat in the middle and perhaps Jannik Hansen on the right side on a speed line that should have finish. It’s about how the 23-

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Media seems to think that the 2nd line is going to be Baertschi Horvat Hansen.  I guess we'll see the practice lines tomorrow - will Baer be with Sutter or Horvat.  

1 minute ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I agree...I just read this from Ben Kuzma today,talking about Baertschi:

quote;

Now the talk is of increased potential as a consistent second-line left-winger with Bo Horvat in the middle and perhaps Jannik Hansen on the right side on a speed line that should have finish. It’s about how the 23-

The title of second or third line doesn't really matter much. Each line will probably play more minutes on any given night.

Baertschi - Horvat - Hansen could just as well be a third line. I think you have to separate what Willie said about Baertschi/Horvat being a pair, and Baertschi getting a chance as a second line winger. I'm pretty sure that was just Willie saying they're gonna try different things.

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The title of second or third line doesn't really matter much. Each line will probably play more minutes on any given night.

Baertschi - Horvat - Hansen could just as well be a third line. I think you have to separate what Willie said about Baertschi/Horvat being a pair, and Baertschi getting a chance as a second line winger. I'm pretty sure that was just Willie saying they're gonna try different things.

That was the quote by WD on trusting Baer as LW2:

“He fought through a lot and in the second half of the year, we saw an excited exciting player,” said Desjardins. “He could have been our most skilled guy. Is he up for the challenge this year? We’ll see. But he loves the game and he’s competitive and I feel I can trust him in that role.”

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Burrows - Sutter - Virtanen would be an interesting line if they go with that.

Put in Rodin if they're looking for more offense. Burrows and Sutter can counter any deficiencies he has in his defensive game.

If Rodin is healthy and good to go then we seem to have some options this year...of course injuries can change that in a hurry...

but there will be push from below for a change.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Considering Horvat matched Sutter's career high in points in only his second season and despite minimal production in the first half, he clearly has much more offensive upside.  Horvat and Baertschi were the second-best offensive duo on the team and decently responsible defensively, so give them a fast winger (lots to choose from) and let them get out there and run, with Sutter anchoring the shutdown line.

6 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Considering Horvat matched Sutter's career high in points in only his second season and despite minimal production in the first half, he clearly has much more offensive upside.  Horvat and Baertschi were the second-best offensive duo on the team and decently responsible defensively, so give them a fast winger (lots to choose from) and let them get out there and run, with Sutter anchoring the shutdown line.

Etem with Burr and Sutter could look nice too. 

We'll see if Virtanen shows enough in preseason to perhaps nab one of those middle 6 wing spots as well.

35 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Burrows - Sutter - Virtanen would be an interesting line if they go with that.

That's a good line if Burrows can be effective on it offensively (his defensive game is still top notch).  Probably the best mentors Virtanen could have behind the Sedins and like you say a better fit style wise

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Baertschi - Horvat - Hansen

Burrows - Sutter - Virtanen

Etem - Granlund - Dorsett

Rodin/Gaunce

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Sbisa - Tryamkin

Pedan/Larsen/Biega

Miller

Markstrom

Oh, and I was considering a separate thread for this, but here is the full list of camp invites:

article_e1d4d01c-ea1b-4f28-8078-e4a2ba7c

article_7c60fa23-efce-4227-a6b7-c64ed367

Invites from prospects tournament:

Abols, Carcone, LaBate, LaPlante, McKenzie, Stukel, Brisebois, Candella, Juolevi, McEneny, Neill, Olson, Sautner, Stecher, Subban, and Stewart.

They also invited 5 of the guys who were free agents from prospects camp: Roy, D'Aoust, Valk, Moynihan, and Parenteau.

In total, 64 guys!!! That's massive. Some easy cuts though.

Archived