The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Media Day Live Stream - 20 Players + Management

Ossi Vaananen

7 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I was surprised Jarvis is running the powerplay, has he run one before? If it was in Boston I don't remember them having a very good one. He seems like more of a pk guy.

Yup, with Montreal. Apparently he got a lot of the credit for the Habs having the best PP in 2007 @24%

19 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Yup, with Montreal. Apparently he got a lot of the credit for the Habs having the best PP in 2007 @24%

That's impressive.

Too bad we don't have Markov, Souray and Streit in their prime though. Hopefully he can give Edler, Hutton, and Larsen some pointers.

7 minutes ago, Bandwagon38 said:

How does 1 good year make you really good at something?  Was he only in Montreal for 1 year or was their pp average all of the other years?  "Montreal had the #1 pp in 2007 at 24%"  wow, good thing we got him running the show!  Haha

Pretty sure he had a few top 5 powerplays there.

He also had Souray, Markov, and Streit on the point, and Koivu, Kovalev, and Plekanec up front. He won't have that kind of firepower to work with here.

19 hours ago, J.R. said:

I don't see that first one lasting but we'll see.

Interesting that he's changed his tune on Horvat/Baer. That changes a lot.

Willie's reversal of field on Horvat/Baertschi is indeed a huge change.  And it wasn't just that:  Willie elaborated that Bo was an offensive force in the second half and proved that he's more than the shut-down centre Willie had previously pegged him to be.  It was almost like Maoist style "self-criticism"!  Since all of those developments were taking place before Willie's eyes last spring when he was still type-casting Bo in a more limited role, I have to wonder why Willie changed his tune.  Did Benning read him the riot act?  I am part of the contingent that was calling for that at the time, but I don't think its the most likely scenario.  Instead, I'd put my money on an organizational discussion, led by Benning undoubtedly, that assessed players' development and came to this conclusion.  That way they could establish a party line about Bo, supply the reasoning involved and set an approach to his development without pistol-whipping Willie, even if some of the things he said were downright stupid, imho.  That Willie himself led the charge in redefining how the organization looks at Bo shows that he got the message, which is the main thing.  The move to put Bo in a leadership role, maybe give him an A, to me looks related to this recognition of his offensive ability on a team that is offensively challenged.  Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall in the back room while all of this was going down over the summer!

31 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

anyone else concerned that we have a real lack of toughness on the forward lines..that big tough LW that Benning was after sure would be nice.

Not worried but would have been nice to have tough,gritty,skilled LW . I think we've added enough size and character to our forward lines. Plus these forwards will be looking for redemption after the low scoring  year they had, and  it  should add to their motivation to play a much harder and grittier game. Jake is the biggest X factor here though. If he can continue hitting  and getting in on the  Forcheck with his speed and size  he will make the other team make decisions with less time which should lead to an increase in turnovers and scoring chances.

NHL players are tough to begin with. We need to create a cohesive team with a pack mentality, Sedins and Edler included, to act as a deterrent to cheap shots. Adding Gudbranson has changed the entire aura around this team. He is established  in the league as one tough Mo'fo and teams will think twice before taking cheap shots at our top players. Tryamkin has already shown he's got an edge to his game; we got a a glimpse as to what type of a person he is he won't take $&!# from anyone. Both those guys should rob off on The rest of the defensive core and our forward lines.

Hansen, Burrows can play gritty games, new addition of erikson adds more sandpaper, Dorsette needs to have a resurgent season but is a gritty tough fwd.

if we build up the team toughness and maintain it by having a pack mentality throughout the season we will be fine.

9 hours ago, DeNiro said:

That's impressive.

Too bad we don't have Markov, Souray and Streit in their prime though. Hopefully he can give Edler, Hutton, and Larsen some pointers.

For sure. For the last few years the PP has looked confused, so we really need a coach who can simplify things and just generate more chances. I was pretty happy when Jarvis signed on because WD didn't have many ideas on the PP. 

Its probably too 'out of the box' for them but I'd like to see them at least try Tryamkin on the 2nd unit in front of the net for a few games. I read somewhere he did that on his KHL team.

2 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

anyone else concerned that we have a real lack of toughness on the forward lines..that big tough LW that Benning was after sure would be nice.

Apparently Baer/Horvat are being viewed as 2/3 of the '2nd' line with Hansen as their likely RW (though I think him and Eriksson should swap 5v5 personally but I digress...)

So adding Bo at ~205+lbs and a 195lb Baer helps a bit. It's still not where we want to be but it's heading the right direction. Then I'm guessing we see one of Virtanen/Etem/Gaunce on the '3rd' line W with Sutter and Burr and none of those 3 are small guys (~210/215/210 lbs). And that '3rd' line will see close to (if not more some nights) ice time as the '2nd'.

And if Virtanen/Etem can come in and surprise for that 2RW spot, it helps even more with top 6 size.

Archived