The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Royal Visit - Why are they royal?

JV77

All the talk of the royal visit and so called "proper etiquette" brought up this question again for me.  Don't get me wrong, Will and Kate seem like really nice and humble people but...

It's 2016 and people bow to them and basically put them above the rest of society.  Where is the equality if we live in supposed modern societies?  Why are they still even prominent?  

Ask yourselves, how did their family became "Royal" and rulers?  They stole, murdered, raped their way there, way back when.  How were they different than what ISIS is today?  

2 minutes ago, JV77 said:

All the talk of the royal visit and so called "proper etiquette" brought up this question again for me.  Don't get me wrong, Will and Kate seem like really nice and humble people but...

It's 2016 and people bow to them and basically put them above the rest of society.  Where is the equality if we live in supposed modern societies?  Why are they still even prominent?  

Ask yourselves, how did their family became "Royal" and rulers?  They stole, murdered, raped their way there, way back when.  How were they different than what ISIS is today?  

Don't talk about your Supreme Ruler like that!  OFF WITH YOUR HEAD!!!

In other news, America came to that realization 240 years ago, kicked King George's butt, and freed itself from the monarchy. 

10 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

What started out as a reasonable question quickly became ridiculous.  :picard:  Lock this thread please.

You expected more?  :lol:

This same question comes up on CDC 2 or 3 times a year.  Nobody really takes the monarchy very serious.  They even took away the queen's yacht from her a few years ago and sold it.  The royals are figureheads.  A living reminder of history.

6 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Are we financing this visit?

You're probably paying for RCMP overtime costs etc.  Basically any ancillary costs involved with their visit.  You would pay ancillary costs for any visiting dignitary from any other country when they visit as well.

24 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

What started out as a reasonable question quickly became ridiculous.  :picard:  Lock this thread please.

So you tell me then.  Seriously want to know.

What makes/made them royal and not another family like mine or yours?  How did they become who they are?

1 minute ago, JV77 said:

What makes/made them royal and not another family like mine or yours?  How did they become who they are?

Their families were successful in rising to positions of political power during a time when royalty were equated with the divine.  Ours weren't.  

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Their families were successful in rising to positions of political power during a time when royalty were equated with the divine.  Ours weren't.  

How did they successfully rise to these positions? What did they actually do?

Voted in by the people?

Just now, JV77 said:

How did they successfully rise to these positions? Voted in?

Of course not.  Through violent and ruthless means.  How did Europeans take control of an already populated Americas?  The royal families consolidated their powers, as did the Europeans in the Americas - both still rule what once they did not.  

Just now, Alflives said:

Of course not.  Through violent and ruthless means.  How did Europeans take control of an already populated Americas?  The royal families consolidated their powers, as did the Europeans in the Americas - both still rule what once they did not.  

Actually William the Conqueror united Britain under his rule.  Guess how he did it? ;)

29 minutes ago, JV77 said:

Stole, murdered, raped, all that happened many hundreds of years ago but Royalty had it's power by then.  ISIS, that's off side.

You're either trying to stir up hate or ignorant beyond belief.  It's not up to me to educate you. 

Just now, Crabcakes said:

Stole, murdered, raped, all that happened many hundreds of years ago but Royalty had it's power by then.  ISIS, that's off side.

You're either trying to stir up hate or ignorant beyond belief.  It's not up to me to educate you. 

I posted a link that gave him enough information to begin his own search in order to learn it all on his own. 

4 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I don't know, I think the beliefs of the times were that they were gods anointed and pillaged under his power and blessing. it's not a lot different from the deluded thinking other radicals operate under.

Archived