The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Training Camp day #1 - Odds and Ends

Ossi Vaananen

1 minute ago, Stelar said:

Guys, calm down. Its the first day of camp  

Of course it's early and I'm not stressed about it at all. It's something that's been discussed all summer so now when you start to see some possible line combo's, it's difficult to see how Virt plays in the top 9.

Nothing more. As a matter of fact, I'd be more than happy to see Virt spend quality time with Green in Utica this year.

21 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Owch, Utica bound?

I like to think of that as a gentle prod to Virt that he needs to WORK and earn a spot.

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Looks like the fourth line might be set with Granlund, Dorsett, and Etem?  I wonder if it's all WD's choice for line combos?

Nothing is set...yet. If Etem 'clicks' this year, he could dark horse his way on to either the 3rd or 2nd lines.

5 minutes ago, Knucklehd said:

Perhaps their attempt to let Virtanen known he has to perform to play and wont be gifted a spot.  I like it. Send the message, see if he responds.  If he does, then its only upwards from  there.

Agreed ;)

2 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

Of course it's early and I'm not stressed about it at all. It's something that's been discussed all summer so now when you start to see some possible line combo's, it's difficult to see how Virt plays in the top 9.

Nothing more. As a matter of fact, I'd be more than happy to see Virt spend quality time with Green in Utica this year.

He could end up playing 3rd or 2nd line W with either Baer/Horvat or Burr/Sutter too but he'll have to EARN it. I tend to agree that he'll likely start in Utica though.

LOVING the competition at this years camp!

5 minutes ago, Stelar said:

Guys, calm down. Its the first day of camp  

WD has stated several time PUBLICLY that last season management made a mistake by trying to compete for a playoff spot, while developing youth.  My question therefore, based on WD's statements: is WD's mind ALREADY made up with regard to JV and other young guys like Gaunce, Stecher, etc?  Will we see our young guys at all, or are they destined for UTICA no matter how well they play here?

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I like to think of that as a gentle prod to Virt that he needs to WORK and earn a spot.

Nothing is set...yet. If Etem 'clicks' this year, he could dark horse his way on to either the 3rd or 2nd lines.

Agreed ;)

I heard Etem was a 30 goal scorer in the AHL?  Maybe he can contribute with some goals here?  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

WD has stated several time PUBLICLY that last season management made a mistake by trying to compete for a playoff spot, while developing youth.  My question therefore, based on WD's statements: is WD's mind ALREADY made up with regard to JV and other young guys like Gaunce, Stecher, etc?  Will we see our young guys at all, or are they destined for UTICA no matter how well they play here?

GMJB ultimately has final decision on the roster.  So I wouldnt count having young guys in the line up yet.  They earn it, they get it.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Isn't stecher paired with edler? Sounds like he is getting a good look to me. 

If the Canucks can't find another 6 foot 215+lbs right winger, then Jake makes the team. All reports this off season have stated he was working out with other canucks in Vancouver gaining size and hopefully strength. The spot is his unless his play is horrible, and I just don't see him being bad enough to be sent down.

18 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

Looks like it doesn't it. With a potential second/third line of Burrows Sutter Rodin/Hansen and with a third line of Bearcheese Horvat and Rodin/Hansen, I'm having a hard time seeing where Virt might be plugged in.

I'd rather see him go to Utica to get top six minutes than play on the fourth line here.

Jake is in Group B with Bo and Baer...Rendulic and Jake will probably swap lines for day 2....

Just now, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Jake is in Group B with Bo and Baer...Rendulic and Jake will probably swap lines for day 2....

There will be a ton of switching lines between now and preseason. And more between preseason and opening night. Especially with key players absent (World Cup) and the coaches trying to fill out three separate and balanced groups.

3 minutes ago, Knucklehd said:

GMJB ultimately has final decision on the roster.  So I wouldnt count having young guys in the line up yet.  They earn it, they get it.

Alf is right.  This year the focus is playoffs.  Young guys won't be on the team unless they can contribute.  

Benning also said the PTO guys have a legit chance of earning a spot - they are more likely to bump off a younger player than a vet.  

2 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Rendulic is probably filling in for Hansen.  Media believes that they want to go into the season with a 2nd line of Baer-Horvat-Hansen.

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

If the Canucks can't find another 6 foot 215+lbs right winger, then Jake makes the team. All reports this off season have stated he was working out with other canucks in Vancouver gaining size and hopefully strength. The spot is his unless his play is horrible, and I just don't see him being bad enough to be sent down.

Be a waste of a year to have him chasing hits with minimal ice time. Be better off playing top line minutes under Green.

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Alf is right.  This year the focus is playoffs.  Young guys won't be on the team unless they can contribute.  

Benning also said the PTO guys have a legit chance of earning a spot - they are more likely to bump off a younger player than a vet.  

I agree, i dont believe the kids will be gifted a spot...but if they come to camp and they earn a spot, Benning has shown no hesition to make room.  Theu do have to earn it though, thats thebeauty of this years depth.

1 minute ago, TimberWolf said:

Be a waste of a year to have him chasing hits with minimal ice time. Be better off playing top line minutes under Green.

HE may be better off in the minors, the team will be worse with out his size, hitting and speed.

Archived