The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Training Camp day #1 - Odds and Ends

Ossi Vaananen

With a completely healthy the roster this looks pretty set, although Burr is going to really have to step up his game to hold down that 2nd / 3rd line spot.

Here's hoping Etem really brings it to move up the line up as he has the tools for 2nd / 3rd line duties.

Virtanen or Stecher have to play well enough for JB to pull the trigger with Sbisa, Etem , or Gaunce for them to get in the line up. 

Of course injuries will happen and we'll have some solid depth for 2 D and 2 forwards to step in. 

Is this a playoff bound line up?

Sedin – Sedin – Eriksson

Burr- Sutter- Rodin

Bear - Horvat- Hansen

Etem – Granlund – Dorsett

13th forward – Gaunce

Edler- Tanev

Hutton- Guddy

Sbisa – Larsen

7-8 D – Trymankin – Pedan

First call ups from Utica

Virt , Biega , Stecher

Depth Call ups

Cassels, Subban , Grenier

Off to Junior- Juolevi

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

WD has stated several time PUBLICLY that last season management made a mistake by trying to compete for a playoff spot, while developing youth.  My question therefore, based on WD's statements: is WD's mind ALREADY made up with regard to JV and other young guys like Gaunce, Stecher, etc?  Will we see our young guys at all, or are they destined for UTICA no matter how well they play here?

I'm not doubting you Alf, but could you give us the link to the article, sound-bite, and/or video where WD is stating this?  I've never seen/heard this statement coming from him.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

I think you're overthinking and tying your brain in knots as usual.

I just want our young players to get a fair shot over a prolonged period, and not see them sent to Utica because they can be without waivers.  I accept our team is not going to be very good this season (next too, and for a while) so seeing the young guys is something to look forward to, and gives us (me) as sense there is a solid young core coming up.

Okay, knots in brain.  You're right again!  :lol:  

It's win win with Virtanen. Either he's taken that next step and he looks like a top 6 guy in the preseason, or he goes down to Utica and has a chance to put up some numbers and play a ton of minutes. There is plenty of oppurtunity to be called right back up if he's earned it. I look at Draisaitl last year as the perfect way to handle Virtanen.

38 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

Looks like it doesn't it. With a potential second/third line of Burrows Sutter Rodin/Hansen and with a third line of Bearcheese Horvat and Rodin/Hansen, I'm having a hard time seeing where Virt might be plugged in.

I'd rather see him go to Utica to get top six minutes than play on the fourth line here.

Developing him properly should be one of our top priorities.

Look at all the kids from the 2003/2004 year when they got the lockout year off. None were rushed to the NHL, they just played in JR or AHL despite the talent. It's looked back on as one of the best draft classes of all time. Now was that because they got the time or were they all that good?

Probably both. So sending him down won't be a bad thing.

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

I'm not doubting you Alf, but could you give us the link to the article, sound-bite, and/or video where WD is stating this?  I've never seen/heard this statement coming from him.

He's been saying this all summer.  You haven't heard is surprising. 

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/nhl/vancouver-canucks-coach-willie-desjardins-new-road-map-leads-straight-ahead-playoffs-or-bust

5 minutes ago, nuck-lifer said:

13th forward – Gaunce

Gaunce would be FAR better served playing big minutes in Utica and as first call up vs 13th on the Canucks.

13th is either Rodin's if his injury has him a bit behind or likely Zalewski, Skille, Sheppard etc

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Thanks for the link, but there's no part of that article where WD says management made mistakes - no part at all. 

I would prefer to see Jake in Utica.

Sure the Canucks could use his size and speed but we don't want him up here as a 3rd or 4th liner just skating and hitting. Don't we want a little more from a 6th overall pick? I say let him develop properly under Green playing in all situations on the top line.

1 minute ago, DJSkingz said:

Sure the Canucks could use his size and speed but we don't want him up here as a 3rd or 4th liner just skating and hitting. Don't we want a little more from a 6th overall pick? I say let him develop properly under Green playing in all situations on the top line.

I'm hoping we see Jake in Utica as I believe it will serve his development well AND because that likely means that a couple of Rodin/Etem/Gaunce have shown enough to push him down there. That's good for him AND both clubs.

Just now, DJSkingz said:

How about play him with the Twins right now?  The Twins have maybe a bit too much say on whom they play with?  Let's get JV top minutes here, and (if the Twins are such great mentors) have them help JV develop.  Playing in Utica means playing with much lesser skilled players.  

Just now, DJSkingz said:

If Rodin is not ready - I actually wouldn't mind Virtanen on the 3rd line with Burrows-Sutter.  It's actually a good spot for his development - two experienced vets.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

figurative language.  

43 minutes ago, Alflives said:

WD has stated several time PUBLICLY that last season management made a mistake by trying to compete for a playoff spot, while developing youth.  My question therefore, based on WD's statements: is WD's mind ALREADY made up with regard to JV and other young guys like Gaunce, Stecher, etc?  Will we see our young guys at all, or are they destined for UTICA no matter how well they play here?

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So, since you've mentioned this a few times now (that WD has spoken out against management several times), I ask again Alf, can you please link the article/sound-bite/video where WD is saying this - Not where you interpret what he says, but where he says it with his own words in plain language please? 

I'm not trying to get on your case Alf, I just really want to see/hear that since I didn't know he said it, and as you know - I follow the team and all it's surrounding media as carefully as anyone here does. 

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How about play him with the Twins right now?  The Twins have maybe a bit too much say on whom they play with?  Let's get JV top minutes here, and (if the Twins are such great mentors) have them help JV develop.  Playing in Utica means playing with much lesser skilled players.  

Read the article you just posted.  Virtanen is not going to play that high in the lineup - he's simply not ready yet. 

I don't think Utica must be the solution but I certainly don't want him with Baertschi-Horvat or with Granlund for totally separate reasons.  Baer/Horvat are further along in their development and this is the year for them to take a very big step forward offensively - they are better served with Hansen.  Granlund has not yet established himself.  I actually would like Virtanen on the 3rd with Burrows-Sutter.

32 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I don't know how he makes stuff up all the time and nothing happens to him.. He tried it in the Tryamkin thread a few days ago.. And nowhere in the article he links does Willie call out management. 

Archived