Virt and Gaunce start year in AHL

Sbisa is moved during preseason as the injury bug will surely strike a team

51 minutes ago, mll said:

Doens't quite align with the statements by WD and Benning.  Try:

Sedin Sedin Eriksson

Baertschi Horvat Hansen

Burrows Sutter Rodin/Virtanen

Etem Granlund Dorsett

btw Benning has already said Hansen will not be moved.  

it's a bit of a moot point, as the two middle lines will probably see very similar ice times.  both lines will have players on special teams and the lines will likely be deployed based on which one is most effective in that particular game.

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Interesting tidbits from Botchford's camp video this morning: http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/ten-canucks-questions-how-much-does-coach-willie-trust-young-virtanen

(video is at the top of the linked article page)

First, apparently Desjardins is looking to use Tanev as their RH shot at the point on PP1. This adds another wrinkle to the reasons behind Tanev placing so much focus on improving his shot during the offseason. And while Tanev has never been considered a PPQB, it is worth nothing that, in terms of 5v4PP (team) goals stats, no Canucks player has produced a higher on-ice GF60 than Tanev during the 2014-16 period: http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/ratings.php?disp=1&db=201416&sit=5v4&pos=skaters&minutes=50&teamid=29&type=goals&sort=F60&sortdir=DESC

So there might already be very good reasoning behind such a move (based on the goals numbers). And if the Canucks intend to use a four forward setup, having Tanev at the back end allows the forwards to feel more confident that the defensive side is covered (even with only a single D on the unit).

The second point of interest is that Botchford says Desjardins has reconsidered Horvat's role this season and may look to use him in an offensive role instead of as a matchup centre.

This would mean Horvat plays 2C with higher end offensive players and Sutter becomes the matchup/shutdown centre with more defensive minded wingers. Seems like the deployment many of us have been hoping to see for 2016-17. It'll be interesting to watch how that plays out between now and opening night.

Good post, thanks.

I'm not surprised, Tanev was getting more chances to score jumping up into the play last year. He carries the puck well and makes that good first pass. His offensive potential could be very good and they have a better defensive defense to help him step into that role.

Manny could get Horvat that face off percentage way up this year.

11 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Good to hear on Larsen. Not so much on Pedan :lol:

Yeah, that trade has the potential to be an incredible steal for us if Larsen can live up to the hype. Even a "poor man's Erik Karlsson" is an incredible pickup for a conditional 5th round pick (becomes 4th rounder if Larsen hits certain targets). 

This team is desperate for a slick puck moving D who can carry through the neutral zone and produce a high rate of controlled zone entries and exits. If Larsen can be that player for us, JB will have pulled off quite the coup by acquiring him at minimal cost.

Just now, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, that trade has the potential to be an incredible steal for us if Larsen can live up to the hype. Even a "poor man's Erik Karlson" is an incredible pickup for a conditional 5th round pick (becomes 4th rounder if Larsen hits certain targets). 

This team is desperate for a slick puck moving D who can carry through the neutral zone and produce a high rate of controlled zone entries and exits. If Larsen can be that player for us, JB will have pulled off quite the coup by acquiring him at minimal cost.

Not remotely jumping to this conclusion, just excited by the possibility but....I may start squeeling like a little girl if he turns out good enough to be paired with Edler. 

Edler, Larsen

Hutton, Gudbranson

Sbisa/Tryamkin, Tanev

If he's legitimately that good....YES PLEASE. 

41 minutes ago, Dynamic Innovator said:

I think this is the way it shakes down:

Sedin Sedin Erikson

Hansen Sutter Virtanen

Beartschi Horvat Burrows

Dorsett Granlund Etem

Gaunce

Edler Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

Sbisa Larsen

Tryamkin/Pedan

I'm actually super skeptical of Rodin and Larsen's ability to contribute. 

It will also be interesting to see if Sheppard, Ruutu or Skille can knock Etem out of the lineup.

I believe Gaunce will be in Vancouver this season.  His style of play is low risk and coach WD likes that...

I agree about being skeptical about Rodin/Larsen. However, there's no reason why we need to cut ties with Rodin to start the season. So unless Virtanen looks like the a world beater in camp, he's Utica bound. That will give Rodin a chance to get his feet wet and build up strength in his leg. Then after 20 games we can re-evaluate our needs, along with Virtanen's progression.

2 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, that trade has the potential to be an incredible steal for us if Larsen can live up to the hype. Even a "poor man's Erik Karlsson" is an incredible pickup for a conditional 5th round pick (becomes 4th rounder if Larsen hits certain targets). 

True. If Larsen pans out, and Tryamkin continues a solid trajectory, the Canucks could have an unstoppable defense in a few years.

Shutdown size and strength = Gudbranson and Tryamkin

Shutdown smarts = Tanev

Offensive speed and skill = Hutton, Juolevi, and Larsen

And Stecher, Subban, and more could be added in there.

Thank you Jim.

17 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I've been saying this for a while, Pedan is the odd man out. Yes, his size/toughness is intriguing but with the addition of Gudbranson and Tryamkin, size/toughness really isn't an issue on our D corps. Larsen will get every opportunity to make this team and be a big part of it. I just don't see a spot on our team for Pedan and I think he'll be waived after camp ends.

4 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Not remotely jumping to this conclusion, just excited by the possibility but....I may start squeeling like a little girl if he turns out good enough to be paired with Edler. 

Edler, Larsen

Hutton, Gudbranson

Sbisa/Tryamkin, Tanev

If he's legitimately that good....YES PLEASE. 

No doubt. Larsen has a ton to prove before I'm getting on board the hype train. But the potential is certainly enticing. He's definitely one of the X factors this season.

52 minutes ago, Dynamic Innovator said:

I think this is the way it shakes down:

Sedin Sedin Erikson

Hansen Sutter Virtanen

Beartschi Horvat Burrows

Dorsett Granlund Etem

Gaunce

Edler Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

Sbisa Larsen

Tryamkin/Pedan

I'm actually super skeptical of Rodin and Larsen's ability to contribute. 

It will also be interesting to see if Sheppard, Ruutu or Skille can knock Etem out of the lineup.

I believe Gaunce will be in Vancouver this season.  His style of play is low risk and coach WD likes that...

So a line with all right handed shots and à line with all left handed shots? Makes no sense.

Archived