The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shooting at Cascade Mall in Burlington, Washington

-Vintage Canuck-

14 minutes ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

Thanks. The US is a very scary place to live these days. What's worse is that I know we don't have it even a quarter as bad as some people do in other nations. 

Don't worry. Once Trump wins he will fix all this. Just ask him.  He's tremendous. He's huuuuuge. 

1 minute ago, Stelar said:

Don't worry. Once Trump wins he will fix all this. Just ask him.  He's tremendous. He's huuuuuge. 

As a person of color I am very, very frightened at the prospect of a Trump presidency. Is it too late to move to Canada? I hear Montreal is nice and I am conversational in French. College educated, to boot. Please help me!!

19 minutes ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

As a person of color I am very, very frightened at the prospect of a Trump presidency. Is it too late to move to Canada? I hear Montreal is nice and I am conversational in French. College educated, to boot. Please help me!!

I believe Quebec would be the least hospitable province toward a visible minority....but still not bad. Go for Vancouver!

1 minute ago, clam linguine said:

I believe Quebec would be the least hospitable province toward a visible minority....but still not bad.

Sometimes it feels like the whole world is inhospitable. Being black has basically precluded me from traveling to almost anywhere I'd like to visit. It's hard enough to be colored in my own country (and I live in liberal California), let alone travel internationally. To put it eloquently, it sucks. And a Trump presidency would not make it better!

On topic, it's amazing to me how this whole mass murder/random shooting thing has taken over in the US. I work in higher education, and am genuinely afraid of my students sometimes. You know, the whole school shooting thing…can never be too careful, unfortunately. I have already mentally mapped out multiple escape routes in case there ever is an active shooter on campus. I think about this type of thing in public (concerts, movies theaters, etc.) too. It's sad.

4 minutes ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

Sometimes it feels like the whole world is inhospitable. Being black has basically precluded me from traveling to almost anywhere I'd like to visit. It's hard enough to be colored in my own country (and I live in liberal California), let alone travel internationally. To put it eloquently, it sucks. And a Trump presidency would not make it better!

On topic, it's amazing to me how this whole mass murder/random shooting thing has taken over in the US. I work in higher education, and am genuinely afraid of my students sometimes. You know, the whole school shooting thing…can never be too careful, unfortunately. I have already mentally mapped out multiple escape routes in case there ever is an active shooter on campus. I think about this type of thing in public (concerts, movies theaters, etc.) too. It's sad.

Canada is not very racist to blacks, IMHO. That being said, I'm not black.

There is something about how we are raised here that is different than parts of the US, where blatant racism is tolerated. In Canada, saying something racist is not something we'd accept at all, regardless of the circumstances. Of course racism still exists in many cultures, but it is less visible. At the very minimum, people don't do it in public.

I've always wanted to live in America, but I don't have the means. (no citizenship, no green card)

33 minutes ago, clam linguine said:

I believe Quebec would be the least hospitable province toward a visible minority....but still not bad. Go for Vancouver!

Alberta?

French-Canadians can be intolerant at times but I wouldn't say they're not hospitable. As long as you cheer for the Habs and hate the Leafs you'll be accepted.

14 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Canada is not very racist to blacks, IMHO. That being saisayd, I'm not black.

Yet we have an incredibility embarrassing history of systemic racism towards the First Nations, which still exists.

There is something about how we are raised here that is different than parts of the US, where blatant racism is tolerated. In Canada, saying something racist is not something we'd accept at all, regardless of the circumstances. Of course racism still exists in many cultures, but it is less visible. At the very minimum, people don't do it in public.

There are lots of racists here. We don't notice them so much in the cities, but there is actually a large number of hate groups in Canada. Losers.

I've always wanted to live in America, 

Why?

@ThrustyPrusty89 - Come check out Vancouver Island, and you'll realize you want to live here.

19 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Canada is not very racist to blacks, IMHO. That being said, I'm not black.

I've always wanted to live in America, but I don't have the means. (no citizenship, no green card)

I have always said the most insidious thing about racism is how it manifests itself in subtle, plausibly deniable forms. For the most part in the US blatant racism is not tolerated (I feel justified is stating this considering much of my family is from the deep south). With that said, there's definitely a palpable undercurrent present.

If you would like American citizenship I'm sure you could find a nice American to marry lol I bet they're lining up for the chance at Canadian citizenship as an escape plan. I've always wanted to visit Canada but I think that's mostly based on romanticized notions. I bet we aren't all that different.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Alberta?

French-Canadians can be intolerant at times but I wouldn't say they're not hospitable. As long as you cheer for the Habs and hate the Leafs you'll be accepted.

I'm sorry but I can't do that first part. Got the latter covered though :lol:

I was in Quebec two weeks ago - Montreal and Quebec City, and everyone is super nice there.  Even in Quebec City.  I don't say much, and everyone speaks French to me, and people ask me for directions.  I was even at the train station and the attendant was speaking French to me telling me which seat I was in and which car, and then spoke English to the people behind me.

44 minutes ago, clam linguine said:

I had a loud French fella behind me in a line the other day.  he was incredibly loud and didn't care about anyone but himself.  but that isn't a heritage issue he just happened to be a self for filling ignorant jerk.

hate that guy.

Archived