The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shooting at Cascade Mall in Burlington, Washington

-Vintage Canuck-

43 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Yet we have an incredibility embarrassing history of systemic racism towards the First Nations, which still exists.

There are lots of racists here. We don't notice them so much in the cities, but there is actually a large number of hate groups in Canada. Losers.

Why?

@ThrustyPrusty89 - Come check out Vancouver Island, and you'll realize you want to live here.

Normally, I'd scorn anyone inviting people to come live on VI, but in this case, it's more than warranted. COME TO THE ISLAND THRUSTY!

3 minutes ago, Realtor Rod said:

Agreed. Problem is the people setting the curriculum haven't got a clue. TEAR IT DOWN!

yeah. the only financial education I got in public school system was an off the cuff budgeting exercise our math teacher gave us in grade 10.

financial education should be a corner stone but instead we learn about of stuff that isn't practical to most average citizens.

an education overhaul would be appreciated but let's face it... that would take a minor miracle.

3 hours ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

Sometimes it feels like the whole world is inhospitable. Being black has basically precluded me from traveling to almost anywhere I'd like to visit. It's hard enough to be colored in my own country (and I live in liberal California), let alone travel internationally. To put it eloquently, it sucks. And a Trump presidency would not make it better!

On topic, it's amazing to me how this whole mass murder/random shooting thing has taken over in the US. I work in higher education, and am genuinely afraid of my students sometimes. You know, the whole school shooting thing…can never be too careful, unfortunately. I have already mentally mapped out multiple escape routes in case there ever is an active shooter on campus. I think about this type of thing in public (concerts, movies theaters, etc.) too. It's sad.

You're more than welcome here.

4 hours ago, luckylager said:

Yet we have an incredibility embarrassing history of systemic racism towards the First Nations, which still exists.

There are lots of racists here. We don't notice them so much in the cities, but there is actually a large number of hate groups in Canada. Losers.

Why?

@ThrustyPrusty89 - Come check out Vancouver Island, and you'll realize you want to live here.

Or the Sunshine Coast !

8 hours ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

As a person of color I am very, very frightened at the prospect of a Trump presidency. Is it too late to move to Canada? I hear Montreal is nice and I am conversational in French. College educated, to boot. Please help me!!

Why would you be frightened? You've been reading too much Huff Post and listening to all those Democrat ads designed to frighten people of color. Stop watching CNN and the View. 

8 hours ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

Sometimes it feels like the whole world is inhospitable. Being black has basically precluded me from traveling to almost anywhere I'd like to visit. It's hard enough to be colored in my own country (and I live in liberal California), let alone travel internationally. To put it eloquently, it sucks. And a Trump presidency would not make it better!

On topic, it's amazing to me how this whole mass murder/random shooting thing has taken over in the US. I work in higher education, and am genuinely afraid of my students sometimes. You know, the whole school shooting thing…can never be too careful, unfortunately. I have already mentally mapped out multiple escape routes in case there ever is an active shooter on campus. I think about this type of thing in public (concerts, movies theaters, etc.) too. It's sad.

Thank you for sharing your honest feelings in this open way Thrusty.  These violent acts, like this horrible incident, stir deep feelings and emotions.   I spent much of this past night in prayer: for the victims, their families, and for people to love - not hate.  

1 hour ago, dominicanbob said:

Why would you be frightened? You've been reading too much Huff Post and listening to all those Democrat ads designed to frighten people of color. Stop watching CNN and the View. 

Why wouldn't I be frightened? Trump is not a diplomat. I have heard him say many inflammatory things. He can argue that they've been misconstrued or said in jest, but he can't explain away his ideologies in this fashion for the next four years. He will do nothing to help our international reputation or endear allies to us. Ironic that for someone whose main platform is national security he seems to be the biggest threat to us all. 

His mouth is going to write checks that the US can't cash. I don't want to live through the fallout. 

9 hours ago, Realtor Rod said:

If I am in the 1% and I have earned it, do the other 99% think they dont have to earn it? The problem I see with this (and it's many youtube videos of people saying "GIVE us some of the 1%) is who the +×÷= are they to say give them anything. Go earn it. Life is not a giant handout.

Lol, if you are in the 1% and are hanging out on CDC you got problems.  

12 hours ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

As a person of color I am very, very frightened at the prospect of a Trump presidency. Is it too late to move to Canada? I hear Montreal is nice and I am conversational in French. College educated, to boot. Please help me!!

As great as it would be to have you up here in Canada, who would keep the crazies down there in check if folks like you leave?

11 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

And the Republicans who control Congress have done so much too. 

How many bills get passed into law by Congress?

After two years of the echo chamber deliberately misleading the public regarding a flawed Obamacare and a wasteful stimulus package (to name a few), followed by four years of Harry Reid blocking almost anything that came out of the House, can you show us how the Dems deserve to control any part of Congress?

The whole idea behind the three separate bodies of government is to balance the power.  When a different party controls one or both parts of Congress, the President is supposed to negotiate with them.  Not find ways to bypass the law.

Obama had his chance in his first two years and squandered it with utter stupidity and lies.  The only thing keeping the Dems from losing the Presidency is the loud-mouth that won the Republican primary.  And even Trump's shortcomings might not be enough to keep him out of office.

1 hour ago, Kragar said:

After two years of the echo chamber deliberately misleading the public regarding a flawed Obamacare and a wasteful stimulus package (to name a few), followed by four years of Harry Reid blocking almost anything that came out of the House, can you show us how the Dems deserve to control any part of Congress?

The whole idea behind the three separate bodies of government is to balance the power.  When a different party controls one or both parts of Congress, the President is supposed to negotiate with them.  Not find ways to bypass the law.

Obama had his chance in his first two years and squandered it with utter stupidity and lies.  The only thing keeping the Dems from losing the Presidency is the loud-mouth that won the Republican primary.  And even Trump's shortcomings might not be enough to keep him out of office.

The Republicans negotiating with President Blackenstein? C'mon Kragar there is no need to pretend to be this naive. Pretty sure many of them would have been terrified to even step into a room with someone they believed to be a Muslim born in Kenya.

Regardless though it is a pretty predictable attempt to pin all the blame on one side. You can only sit down to negotiate if the other side is actually interested in working together to come up with an amicable solution. That was probably a lost cause the moment Blackenstein took the oath.

1 hour ago, Kragar said:

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/

40 minutes ago, Toews said:

The Republicans negotiating with President Blackenstein? C'mon Kragar there is no need to pretend to be this naive. Pretty sure many of them would have been terrified to even step into a room with someone they believed to be a Muslim born in Kenya.

Regardless though it is a pretty predictable attempt to pin all the blame on one side. You can only sit down to negotiate if the other side is actually interested in working together to come up with an amicable solution. That was probably a lost cause the moment Blackenstein took the oath.

Drivel... so no one on the right wants to do well and only the dems are pro-america? The republican party is not the problem, want proof:

6 hours ago, dominicanbob said:

Exactly....The Clinton News Network couldn't pull away from its Race Bating for Hillary campaign last night long enough to cover this mall shooting..

Archived