The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Training Camp Surprises So Far (If Any)

JamesB

Training Camp Surprises so Far  

210 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

From what I've been reading and hearing, Larsen has very good hockey sense as is his positional play.

There are usually reasons why guys like Larsen and Rodin couldn't make it their first time in the NHL.  Maybe being smaller, and not liking the rough play is one of those reasons?  The bigger Euro ice surfaces really do effect the physical part of the game, and the speed at which "stuff" happens.  I really think a guy like Larsen needs to play with a very tough partner.  Pedan maybe?

4 hours ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

Not from camp, but according to this interview Jake is over 220lbs now. 

Ya, I've heard Jake was up to 223 from 208 last year and Baertschi is 195 up from 190.  But I remember a team list last year.  Maybe it just hasn't been leaked yet.  Eventually, the Canucks will update the roster page.

1 hour ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Uhhh? Who?...Edler is huge and Hutton is 208lbs. 

For reference Subban is 5'8 and 180lbs. Being 6'1 and 180lbs is very slight of frame for the NHL.

For the record, Hutton is listed at 6'3" 183.....that's from last years camp

Edler is 6'3" 215......eeeuge

33 minutes ago, Alflives said:

There are usually reasons why guys like Larsen and Rodin couldn't make it their first time in the NHL.  Maybe being smaller, and not liking the rough play is one of those reasons?  The bigger Euro ice surfaces really do effect the physical part of the game, and the speed at which "stuff" happens.  I really think a guy like Larsen needs to play with a very tough partner.  Pedan maybe?

I think he'll start off with Sbisa.

Listening to 1040 today they had a Rodin interview, which I thought was interesting as they talked about his year with the Canuck farm team. Rodin said he had a shoulder injury and couldn't shoot with power and it really hurt when hit or hitting players, but he's fine now shoulders are good.

I feel regardless of his past he's ready this time and has the fire and drive too really do good this year.I really hope I see him making those awesome highlight reel goals like from his MVP year in Sweden but this time in a Canuck uni.

can't wait Go Canucks Goo

1 minute ago, HockeyHarry said:

Listening to 1040 today they had a Rodin interview, which I thought was interesting as they talked about his year with the Canuck farm team. Rodin said he had a shoulder injury and couldn't shoot with power and it really hurt when hit or hitting players, but he's fine now shoulders are good.

I feel regardless of his past he's ready this time and has the fire and drive too really do good this year.I really hope I see him making those awesome highlight reel goals like from his MVP year in Sweden but this time in a Canuck uni.

can't wait Go Canucks Goo

I hope you are right.  Maybe he's this season's Parnarin?  

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

Ya, I've heard Jake was up to 223 from 208 last year and Baertschi is 195 up from 190.  But I remember a team list last year.  Maybe it just hasn't been leaked yet.  Eventually, the Canucks will update the roster page.

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

For the record, Hutton is listed at 6'3" 183.....that's from last years camp

Edler is 6'3" 215......eeeuge

Thanks guys, I really would appreciate it if the Canucks would post the updated size and weight from camp. They of course weigh and measure the guys on the first day (and do other testing), but the "official" numbers on the roster page are often way out of date. For some guys they never seem to get updated. In previous years the Canucks have sometimes released information to interested fans who attend the camp and that data sometimes gets posted.

If they do that this year, I hope that anyone who gets the data will post it.

1 minute ago, JamesB said:

Thanks guys, I really would appreciate it if the Canucks would post the updated size and weight from camp. They of course weigh and measure the guys on the first day (and do other testing), but the "official" numbers on the roster page are often way out of date. For some guys they never seem to get updated. In previous years the Canucks have sometimes released information to interested fans who attend the camp and that data sometimes gets posted.

If they do that this year, I hope that anyone who gets the data will post it.

Maybe, for some players, the Canucks don't want to release their height and weight, so they choose to keep them all private?  I like how JV stated his honest weight, like he was proud of his size, and had worked really hard to get heavier, stronger, leaner, and faster.

9 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

All the Canuck top Heads JB, WD, Linden, and the Twins have been very reserved when answering Tram questions. I feel they don't want to add to much media and pressure on him so he can develop in peace, I think they know he's a super Gem. Their just not openly saying it.

Larsen they talk highly about because it's to build confidence in him. So he's not shy showing what he's got.

Tram their trying to unlock his full protental by pushing him and making him work extra hard to have him think he needs to fight for a spot, but management already has him penciled in as a roster guy.

JB when asked about their top prospects he always has Tryamkin name high on his list and speaks highly of Tryamkins assets, but when he is asked direct Tryamkin questions he keeps it short and very low key.

Makes sense...  good post! 

Nobody ha's once mentioned Troy Stecher. .which is intersting because he was the best player for the Canucks at young stars...and Benning even said that he will play games this year. Stechy may take someone's job this year...or he will be the first call up after an injury. Stechy will surprise everyone...he's like a Ben Hutton player

20160918_160704.jpg

30 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Re: height and weight questions, someone posted "staff use only" trading camp sheets with player vitals over at HFBoards: 

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showpost.php?p=122371885&postcount=300

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showpost.php?p=122372095&postcount=302

Holy crap, is Tryamkin actually 265 lbs? That's heavier than Chara and Byflugien. Hopefully alot of that is muscle and not just fat.

Also surprised that everyones talking about Virtanen being up to 223, but no talk of Horvat bulking up to that weight.

Post number 25,000!

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

Both were young and smaller players in a big league at that time.  Maybe they just needed to fill out and grow up.  Both guys are still very young

holy cr@p look at the camp roster list. Look at the contracts length...Canuck have tons of signing to do at the season end.

..I'm sure it'll all work out tho...I'm just surprised at how many 1 yr deals we have. 

our D

Hutton 1 yr left on contract 

Gudbranson 1 yr left on contract

Tryamkin 1 yr left on contract

Larsen 1 yr left on contract

Pedan 1 yr left on contract

Forwards 

Horvat 1 yr left on contract

Emerson 1 yr left on contract

Gaunce 1 yr left on contract

Rodin 1 yr left on contract

and