Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Training Camp Surprises So Far (If Any)


JamesB

Training Camp Surprises so Far  

210 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Holy crap, is Tryamkin actually 265 lbs? That's heavier than Chara and Byflugien. Hopefully alot of that is muscle and not just fat.

 

Also surprised that everyones talking about Virtanen being up to 223, but no talk of Horvat bulking up to that weight.

 

Post number 25,000!

congrats on 25K

 

you're one of the better posters on these boards.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

holy cr@p look at the camp roster list. Look at the contracts length...Canuck have tons of signing to do at the season end.

..I'm sure it'll all work out tho...I'm just surprised at how many 1 yr deals we have. 

 

our D

Hutton 1 yr left on contract 

Gudbranson 1 yr left on contract

Tryamkin 1 yr left on contract

Larsen 1 yr left on contract

Pedan 1 yr left on contract

 

Forwards 

Horvat 1 yr left on contract

Emerson 1 yr left on contract

Gaunce 1 yr left on contract

Rodin 1 yr left on contract

 

and 

Burrows  1 yr left on contract

 

Miller 1 yr left on contract

 

who i think WONT be re-signed

 

our D

 

 

Hutton 1 yr left on contract 

Gudbranson 1 yr left on contract

Tryamkin 1 yr left on contract

Larsen 1 yr left on contract

Pedan 1 yr left on contract

 

Forwards 

Horvat 1 yr left on contract

Emerson 1 yr left on contract

Gaunce 1 yr left on contract

Rodin 1 yr left on contract

 

and 

Burrows  1 yr left on contract

Miller 1 yr left on contract

 

 

I really hope Pedan proves me wrong and turns into a beast for us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Holy crap, is Tryamkin actually 265 lbs? That's heavier than Chara and Byflugien. Hopefully alot of that is muscle and not just fat.

 

Also surprised that everyones talking about Virtanen being up to 223, but no talk of Horvat bulking up to that weight.

 

Post number 25,000!

Congrats on 25000!

 

now go outside!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

there is an interesting post from the province today talking about Juolevi and Stecher you may find interesting.

 

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/stecher-juolevi-may-be-closer-to-nhl-than-you-think-taller-too

 

created a topic on the article as well in canucks forums. this might be enough but wanted to make sure as many fans as possible got to read about our up and coming youngsters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Re: height and weight questions, someone posted "staff use only" trading camp sheets with player vitals over at HFBoards: 

 

.....

 

 

 

 

Thanks, Sid, These numbers are obviously different from the numbers on the (out of date) roster page and they look like the kind of numbers you would see at the start of camp - with a lot of guys having gained weight over the summer.

 

It is noteworthy that Tryamkin is so big (up to 265 lbs) -- consistent with my conjecture that he did not come to camp in great shape. Among other things, the plan was for him to get married this summer and he presumably spent some time enjoying his honeymoon (i.e. eating a lot and maybe not working out so much).

 

I agree with the conjectures that the Canuck brass is trying to send a message to Tryamkin that he is going to have to work for a spot on the team. Last year things were a bit too easy. He just shows up and then plays pretty much every game.

 

Of course we are hopeful that he does morph into Chara 2.0. He obviously has the size and, for his size, he has impressive abilities. But Chara has an outstanding work ethic and just kept getting better because he worked so hard at improving his game and his conditioning. Not sure about Tryamkin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

holy cr@p look at the camp roster list. Look at the contracts length...Canuck have tons of signing to do at the season end.

..I'm sure it'll all work out tho...I'm just surprised at how many 1 yr deals we have. 

 

our D

Hutton 1 yr left on contract 

Gudbranson 1 yr left on contract

Tryamkin 1 yr left on contract

Larsen 1 yr left on contract

Pedan 1 yr left on contract

 

Forwards 

Horvat 1 yr left on contract

Emerson 1 yr left on contract

Gaunce 1 yr left on contract

Rodin 1 yr left on contract

 

and 

Burrows  1 yr left on contract

Miller 1 yr left on contract

 

Good point. Quite a while ago I started a thread in which I tried to figure out the cap implications of this situation. The basic point is that the Canucks need a fair amount of cap room for next summer. Miller and Burrows will be gone (I think). And the Canucks did re-sign Marky at a reasonable rate. But Guddy and even Hutton won't be cheap (top 4 defencemen never are), and if Tryamkin and Larsen play as hoped they will need at least decent raises. And Horvat will of course be expensive. Etem, Gaunce, and Rodin are question marks at this stage. They may or may not be re-signed and are not likely to be expensive.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Holy crap, is Tryamkin actually 265 lbs? That's heavier than Chara and Byflugien. Hopefully alot of that is muscle and not just fat.

 

Also surprised that everyones talking about Virtanen being up to 223, but no talk of Horvat bulking up to that weight.

 

Post number 25,000!

Yeah, Tryamkin's weight certainly stands out and fits with the rumblings that the Canucks weren't happy about his weigh-in. But then you get the early reports of him skating well and looking good on the ice, so maybe it's not just weight from living well and being on his honeymoon but actually added bulk from his summer training program. He's also just a big boned guy who stands 6'7" but has the body proportions of a more normal height player. If you run the math that way, a guy his size can easily carry that kind of weight and be in quite good shape.

 

Another couple guys making gains (in addition to Virtanen at 229 and Horvat at 223) are Gaunce (now 217) putting on 10 lbs (and you know that's gonna be muscle the way he trains) and McEneny at 223.

 

EDIT: congrats on #25000 :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, Tryamkin's weight certainly stands out and fits with the rumblings that the Canucks weren't happy about his weigh-in. But then you get the early reports of him skating well and looking good on the ice, so maybe it's not just weight from living well and being on his honeymoon but actually added bulk from his summer training program. He's also just a big boned guy who stands 6'7" but has the body proportions of a more normal height player. If you run the math that way, a guy his size can easily carry that kind of weight and be in quite good shape.

 

Another couple guys making gains (in addition to Virtanen at 229 and Horvat at 223) are Gaunce (now 217) putting on 10 lbs (and you know that's gonna be muscle the way he trains) and McEneny at 223.

 

EDIT: congrats on #25000 :) 

Could you please post a link or source that concurs that the Canucks were not happy with Tryamkins weight..

 

it it pretty much goes against everything that Travis Green said about Try in his 1040 interview yesterday..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Could you please post a link or source that concurs that the Canucks were not happy with Tryamkins weight..

 

it it pretty much goes against everything that Travis Green said about Try in his 1040 interview yesterday..

initially maybe, before he hit the ice.  that is somewhat understandable.  I hope tryamkin makes Vancouver his home and gives the team more control over his training program.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was over at the scrimmage at Meadow Park today and a couple of things stood out to me:

 

- Demko- he is huge and moves very well.  His style and post to post quickness reminded me a lot of Schneider.  I was very impressed with him, albeit against players who will most likely be cut or in Alaska.

-Skille-  He is a big power forward type player, who had a few real nice drives to the net.  He moves very well for a guy his size.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him extended to Utica, and be a quality 4th line callup.

Subban-  He looked very uncomfortable with the puck in his own end, lots of fundamental plays that he panicked on.  Overall I was not impresses with him at all, a player his size has to be comfortable moving with the puck on his stick.

Horvat and Virtanen- Saw both of them in town....These guys are massive.  

 

It was very cool to see the huge turnout in Whistler.  Our town is overrun with Leafs and Habs fans, it was great to see the amount of support from the locals in Canucks jerseys!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Holy crap, is Tryamkin actually 265 lbs? That's heavier than Chara and Byflugien. Hopefully alot of that is muscle and not just fat.

 

Also surprised that everyones talking about Virtanen being up to 223, but no talk of Horvat bulking up to that weight.

 

Post number 25,000!

Jakes up to 229 apparently and Tryamkin was probably never 228 Lbs since his teens, he was more like 250 last year I bet and as for Buflugien he is rumoured to go through huge swings in weight up to 280 in the off season.

 

Bo at 223 sounds right to me, Jake as well as long as the speed is still there...here's hoping they can try the kid line again...plus almost 40 lbs of muscle and mean to go with the speed and skill.

 

Oh and ya congrats on 25K....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, Tryamkin's weight certainly stands out and fits with the rumblings that the Canucks weren't happy about his weigh-in. But then you get the early reports of him skating well and looking good on the ice, so maybe it's not just weight from living well and being on his honeymoon but actually added bulk from his summer training program. He's also just a big boned guy who stands 6'7" but has the body proportions of a more normal height player. If you run the math that way, a guy his size can easily carry that kind of weight and be in quite good shape.

 

Another couple guys making gains (in addition to Virtanen at 229 and Horvat at 223) are Gaunce (now 217) putting on 10 lbs (and you know that's gonna be muscle the way he trains) and McEneny at 223.

 

EDIT: congrats on #25000 :) 

Is Horvat actually 223 now? If so then this kid will be an absolute wrecking ball this coming season....good luck to anyone who is trying to knock him off the puck!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Honky Cat said:

Could you please post a link or source that concurs that the Canucks were not happy with Tryamkins weight..

 

it it pretty much goes against everything that Travis Green said about Try in his 1040 interview yesterday..

There wouldn't be an article to link or anything along those lines. Certainly no official statement from the team. 

 

There was some early chatter (on Twitter, message boards, etc) about Tryamkin coming into camp heavier than the team had hoped. This is what I meant by "rumblings" versus the later reports (which were more positive).

 

For some context, Tryamkin was 240 lbs in March: http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/sports/hockey/vancouver-canucks/canucks+confident+nikita+tryamkin+checks/11776878/story.html

 

And during his end of season presser, talked about dropping weight during the offseason (about six minutes into the video): 

 

So Tryamkin returning at 265 lbs naturally took some people by surprise. And it's quite likely it raised a few eyebrows (at least initially) on the Canucks. But again, that's speculation and based on the "rumblings" that were going around last week.

 

The actual reports (from the coaches, media, and fans in Whistler) have been quite positive regarding his overall fitness and how good Tryamkin looked once he hit the ice. 

 

I hope that clarifies things.

 

EDIT: Interestingly, the amount of weight Tryamkin has gained happens to be almost exactly the amount his interpreter (in the video) suggested he had targeted to lose. Could be she misspoke or something was lost in translation. It's quite possible that the plan was always for Tryamkin to bulk up and add muscle this summer (versus slimming down).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bovechkin said:

Is Horvat actually 223 now? If so then this kid will be an absolute wrecking ball this coming season....good luck to anyone who is trying to knock him off the puck!

Horvat and Virtanen about the same size and weight and both very strong. I like it. Just hope Virtanen can play well enough to make the team. But having him get some confidence in Utica would not be a bad thing either.

 

 

On 9/24/2016 at 8:11 AM, Wilbur said:

My guess is they want to make sure he earns a spot.  This management has been fairly consistent in their words to make sure they don't gift players spots higher in the lineup.  From Horvat last year, to Baertschi in a top 6 forward spot, Markstrom as a co-#1 and Tryamkin in a top 6 defence spot this year, they don't promise young players spots before they have a chance to earn them.  Not sure if it's a respect to the veterans thing or not putting too much pressure on the young players thing.  Probably a bit of both I guess.

 

Bottom line, I wouldn't worry.  If, after exhibition games, Tryamkin is clearly in the top 6, I have no doubts he will be in the top 6.

Let's hope that Tryamkin really does make the top 6. If in fact he has gained muscle over the summer then he will make life very tough on opposing forwards. With Tryamkin on the third pairing, Guddy on the 2nd pairing and Edler on the first pairing, Canucks would have size and potential physical intimidation on each pairing. Admittedly, Edler does not always play a physical game and, in view of the long run back problem, we would not want him to always be physical, but he can play a physical game when necessary and, at least, his physical strength in puck battles can wear down opposing forwards.

 

And Tanev and Hutton are not exactly small either, They both cover a lot of ground and disrupt passing lanes. There won't be a lot of free space in the Canuck zone. Larsen would be only the "small" guy (and at 6-1 and 185 he is not that small).

 

This would make Sbisa 7th man. As many people have said before, if Sbisa is in your top 4, as he often was last year, then your D is probably in trouble. But if Sbisa is your 7th man, then your D is looking good. (Sbisa is of course being paid too much for a 7th man but if cheaper guys like Larsen and Tryamkin are more valuable to the team, great.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

There wouldn't be an article to link or anything along those lines. Certainly no official statement from the team. 

 

There was some early chatter (on Twitter, message boards, etc) about Tryamkin coming into camp heavier than the team had hoped. This is what I meant by "rumblings" versus the later reports (which were more positive).

 

For some context, Tryamkin was 240 lbs in March: http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/sports/hockey/vancouver-canucks/canucks+confident+nikita+tryamkin+checks/11776878/story.html

 

And during his end of season presser, talked about dropping weight during the offseason (about six minutes into the video): 

 

So Tryamkin returning at 265 lbs naturally took some people by surprise. And it's quite likely it raised a few eyebrows (at least initially) on the Canucks. But again, that's speculation and based on the "rumblings" that were going around last week.

 

The actual reports (from the coaches, media, and fans in Whistler) have been quite positive regarding his overall fitness and how good Tryamkin looked once he hit the ice. 

 

I hope that clarifies things.

 

EDIT: Interestingly, the amount of weight Tryamkin has gained happens to be almost exactly the amount his interpreter (in the video) suggested he had targeted to lose. Could be she misspoke or something was lost in translation. It's quite possible that the plan was always for Tryamkin to bulk up and add muscle this summer (versus slimming down).

Great post. Thanks for the detective work. It clarifies a lot of things and makes a lot of sense. .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...