The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Training Camp Surprises So Far (If Any)

JamesB

Training Camp Surprises so Far  

210 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Holy crap, is Tryamkin actually 265 lbs? That's heavier than Chara and Byflugien. Hopefully alot of that is muscle and not just fat.

Also surprised that everyones talking about Virtanen being up to 223, but no talk of Horvat bulking up to that weight.

Post number 25,000!

What a silly post

Of course it's muscle and not fat, otherwise he wouldn't pass the physical

For those speculating: it's not humanly possible for Tryamkin to have gained that much weight and have it all be muscle. Best case scenario he gained about 10-12 pounds of muscle and the rest is just stored glycogen, fat, and water. Considering how much weight he's gained it's safe to say he gained a fair bit of fat. That said, he could still be in better shape than he was last year despite the gained fat. I'd be more curious as to what his body fat % is compared to last year.

34 minutes ago, canux said:

What a silly post

Of course it's muscle and not fat, otherwise he wouldn't pass the physical

?

Players who are overweight can pass the physical. Bertuzzi used to come to training overweight all the time.

I'm saying hopefully he's got a good BMI.

37 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

For those speculating: it's not humanly possible for Tryamkin to have gained that much weight and have it all be muscle. Best case scenario he gained about 10-12 pounds of muscle and the rest is just stored glycogen, fat, and water. Considering how much weight he's gained it's safe to say he gained a fair bit of fat. That said, he could still be in better shape than he was last year despite the gained fat. I'd be more curious as to what his body fat % is compared to last year.

Tryamkin is a HUGE person.  He's not just tall, but he's massively big.  He looks like he has that giant syndrome, with the really big head and features.  Plus, he has that more than human strength.  Maybe the guy is just really REALLY BIG? 

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

?

Players who are overweight can pass the physical. Bertuzzi used to come to training overweight all the time.

I'm saying hopefully he's got a good BMI.

BMI doesn't apply, he's way out of the percentile curves that are used to calculate it. For Tryamkin to have a "healthy" BMI he'd have to be under 205 lbs! The guys head probably weights 30 lbs alone. Please don't tell him I said that.  

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Tryamkin is a HUGE person.  He's not just tall, but he's massively big.  He looks like he has that giant syndrome, with the really big head and features.  Plus, he has that more than human strength.  Maybe the guy is just really REALLY BIG? 

Didn't he audition for one of the Wildling giants on Game of Thrones?

3 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Didn't he audition for one of the Wildling giants on Game of Thrones?

Maybe if the team gave the guy a helmet that fit it wouldn't appear like he's got a massive (Buffalo) sized head.  I'm so very happy he's on our team, and I can't wait to see him crush opponents again, like he did last year.

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

As in hes big?  I agree without sarcasm, he's just a big SOB

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Doesn't, or didn't Chara weigh near abouts 260-270?  And I think Tryamkin is actually BIGGER.  Not taller, but friggin HUGE.  

Chara is around the 250-260 range.  But he has never had the skating ability of Tryamkin which implies #88 has got some extra muscle in his legs to move his mass around.

For those saying he's gained way too much for it to be muscle, the kid just turned 22 last month.  It's perfectly normal for him to fill out at around this age.  It won't be ultra-lean muscle since the body doesn't generally build lean muscle from scratch.  First you gain muscle along with some fat and water weight, then you train down to a more condensed musculature.

1 minute ago, SamJamIam said:

Chara is around the 250-260 range.  But he has never had the skating ability of Tryamkin which implies #88 has got some extra muscle in his legs to move his mass around.

For those saying he's gained way too much for it to be muscle, the kid just turned 22 last month.  It's perfectly normal for him to fill out at around this age.  It won't be ultra-lean muscle since the body doesn't generally build lean muscle from scratch.  First you gain muscle along with some fat and water weight, then you train down to a more condensed musculature.

This.

If he is able to play at that weight or anything close to it then we will have a massive defense. It is time for this team to push other teams around rather than the reverse. I always figured that Horvat would be around 220 and Virtanen 230. You can tell that management feels the same way.

Virtanen at that weight and with his speed will be a wrecking ball. I can't wait for this year.

2 minutes ago, appleboy said:

If he is able to play at that weight or anything close to it then we will have a massive defense. It is time for this team to push other teams around rather than the reverse. I always figured that Horvat would be around 220 and Virtanen 230. You can tell that management feels the same way.

Virtanen at that weight and with his speed will be a wrecking ball. I can't wait for this year.

With the skill Virtanen has for hitting, he will injure opponents often.  There will be defencemen, every game, who blow snow out of fear the JV wrecking ball is coming their way.  

Archived