Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Training Camp Surprises So Far (If Any)


JamesB

Training Camp Surprises so Far  

210 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

With the skill Virtanen has for hitting, he will injure opponents often.  There will be defencemen, every game, who blow snow out of fear the JV wrecking ball is coming their way.  

Agreed. Canucks are becoming a tougher team to play  against. Tryamkin, Jake, Huddy all will change the culture of our club. 

Really want to all 3 of them stick this year and get regular minutes.  

Hoping we don't continue to see players taking runs and Hank and Danny or Miller/Marky this year. 

 

Dorset must be happy to finally get some help on the club in the grit department. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Agreed. Canucks are becoming a tougher team to play  against. Tryamkin, Jake, Huddy all will change the culture of our club. 

Really want to all 3 of them stick this year and get regular minutes.  

Hoping we don't continue to see players taking runs and Hank and Danny or Miller/Marky this year. 

 

Dorset must be happy to finally get some help on the club in the grit department. 

 

I agree 100%.  The Twins should have had a guy like Lucic on their team from day one.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The way I see it, choosing who will fill in the #5-7 spot on defence should be based on the players' potential. This means that IMO Tryamkin should be a #6, because if he reaches his full potential Canucks will have a one of a kind D-man in the NHL (Chara, Buff, Try). We cannot risk Try going back to the KHL since he is on a one-way contract.

 

The best worst-case scenario is if Tryamkin becomes #7 and plays 45-55 games this season.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

For those speculating: it's not humanly possible for Tryamkin to have gained that much weight and have it all be muscle. Best case scenario he gained about 10-12 pounds of muscle and the rest is just stored glycogen, fat, and water. Considering how much weight he's gained it's safe to say he gained a fair bit of fat. That said, he could still be in better shape than he was last year despite the gained fat. I'd be more curious as to what his body fat % is compared to last year.

But in this Green interview, he says Tryamkin looks leaner. To me it suggests he gained lean muscle mass, which was certainly possible considering his frame and the way he looked in the famous beach photo of him and his wife. Green said he was impressed with his mobility so that's a double plus.

https://soundcloud.com/tsn-radio-vancouver/green-pedan-showing-he-wants-to-be-a-nhl-defenceman-now

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

But in this Green interview, he says Tryamkin looks leaner. To me it suggests he gained lean muscle mass, which was certainly possible considering his frame and the way he looked in the famous beach photo of him and his wife. Green said he was impressed with his mobility so that's a double plus.

https://soundcloud.com/tsn-radio-vancouver/green-pedan-showing-he-wants-to-be-a-nhl-defenceman-now

 

He could gain body fat and look better anyway, it is possible. Between a certain range of body fat people look mostly the same (about 12-18%) so he could've actually gone from say, 14 to 17%, but with the increased muscle mass it looks better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

If he is able to play at that weight or anything close to it then we will have a massive defense. It is time for this team to push other teams around rather than the reverse. I always figured that Horvat would be around 220 and Virtanen 230. You can tell that management feels the same way.

Virtanen at that weight and with his speed will be a wrecking ball. I can't wait for this year.

Our D was the softest in the league last season..The only guy that was throwing hits was Lucas Sbisa..Even though the Canucks are projected to finish low,this upcoming season....watching our big,ornery D will be a treat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Knucklehd said:

I watched the scrimmage today online and I thought Tryamkin looked good.  Faster than last year. He can really get around the ice quickly.  Nice passing too.

Thanks for posting your first hand view.  It's nice to hear our big guy is skating good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

?

 

Players who are overweight can pass the physical. Bertuzzi used to come to training overweight all the time.

 

I'm saying hopefully he's got a good BMI.

What? That was a decade ago when training camps were 3 weeks long

Now they're 3 days long if you didn't know

You report in shape or you're gone

Ask Joffrey Lupul and others who got sent home this week for reporting out of shape

they were packing body fat

Bertuzzi was a decade ago, son

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, canux said:

What? That was a decade ago when training camps were 3 weeks long

Now they're 3 days long if you didn't know

You report in shape or you're gone

Ask Joffrey Lupul and others who got sent home this week for reporting out of shape

they were packing body fat

Bertuzzi was a decade ago, son

 

Lupul has injuries that keep him from traing properly, doesn't he?  Tryamkin is a big guy.  Maybe that's his proper weight?  We will see how he looks in the preseason games, no?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

It was just words. Dorsett isn't a dumb guy. Some of Tryamkin's KHL fights are on you tube and it wouldn't be much of a contest.

 

http://vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/stecher-juolevi-may-be-closer-to-nhl-than-you-think-taller-too

Yeah that was where I saw it - was more wondering why things got testy to begin with

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 'NucK™ said:

Yeah that was where I saw it - was more wondering why things got testy to begin with

Canucks bringing in TryAmkin  will likely result in alot less punches to Dorsets face.   Dorset should be welcoming the big guy . It may give Dorset a few seasons in the show due to fewer fights  / getting punched out by heavy weights...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, canux said:

What? That was a decade ago when training camps were 3 weeks long

Now they're 3 days long if you didn't know

You report in shape or you're gone

Ask Joffrey Lupul and others who got sent home this week for reporting out of shape

they were packing body fat

Bertuzzi was a decade ago, son

 

Dustin Byflugien then, same story.

 

There's different levels of being in shape just so you know. They don't kick players off the team because they're a bit overweight.

 

You seem to think body fat percentage and being in shape are the same thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, canux said:

What? That was a decade ago when training camps were 3 weeks long

Now they're 3 days long if you didn't know

You report in shape or you're gone

Ask Joffrey Lupul and others who got sent home this week for reporting out of shape

they were packing body fat

Bertuzzi was a decade ago, son

 

Joffrey Lupul is on LTI, he's going through lingering injuries and can't get into shape, nothing to do with being overweight/body fat. As well as David Clarkson. These are injury issues only.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, 'NucK™ said:

Yeah that was where I saw it - was more wondering why things got testy to begin with

Hard to say.... not sure why Dorsett would take in on himself to bark at Tryamkin, and I doubt Nikita has the language skills to trash talk first.

 

Looking forward to the pregame tomorrow to see how Tryamkins skating is. I'd love it if we had a guy that tops 250 that can actually move. I think it may take a coach other than WD thought to use Tryamkin the way he was in the KHL, specifically in front of the net a lot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, appleboy said:

If he is able to play at that weight or anything close to it then we will have a massive defense. It is time for this team to push other teams around rather than the reverse. I always figured that Horvat would be around 220 and Virtanen 230. You can tell that management feels the same way.

Virtanen at that weight and with his speed will be a wrecking ball. I can't wait for this year.

Yeah, this year will mark the beginning of a new physical era for this club.  We are now the hunters, not the hunted.  I love it that nearly all of our big guys also have the skill to play the game at a high level:  Gudbranson, Horvat, Vitanen, Tryamkin, maybe even Sbisa and Pedan if they get their decision-making right.  Our D's capacity to punish is downright scary and a complete about face from what we've had recently.  It's gonna be fun watching other teams deal with it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

There's different levels of being in shape just so you know. They don't kick players off the team because they're a bit overweight.

Tryamkin might also be using camp... you know as camp. Come in with some new muscle and use the training time to get leaner for the season. I don't know anything about training in Russia, but maybe thats how they do it? A man that big working as hard as they do in the preseason could easily drop 15lbs in 2 weeks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...