The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

bringing in Gudbranson

cuporbust

16 minutes ago, nzan said:

I didn't love the trade from day one.

To me the cost was so great that it overshadowed how good a player we got back...it kinda felt like when we got Luongo...which I also didn't like from day one for exactly the same reasons, but I quickly got used to it!

Well, you'd better get used to this trade too! ;)

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What?  In both trades WE GAVE UP NOTHING!  Keenan got fired for the Luongo deal, and both Willie Mitchell and Luongo reacted to the return for Gudbranson with "WTF".  Why in the world would you think we gave up anything of real value in either of those traded?  Look at the reactions of the Florida side on both accounts.  We won those trades BIG TIME:)

Be happy. 

Most of the hockey world were saying WTF let alone Florida stalwarts like Mitchell and Lui. The proof is always in the puddings and we will see. Word from Florida coaching was they were looking for more speed as they see that as more important than the physical side of the game. Other than the USA prelim games we have not seen a lot of physical play separate from the action but we have seen tremendous speed.

Whether the NHL game speeds up or not, leaving Grabranson and his style behind, is to a degree irrelevant as his joining the Canucks is a great move in transition if nothing else.

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What?  In both trades WE GAVE UP NOTHING!  Keenan got fired for the Luongo deal, and both Willie Mitchell and Luongo reacted to the return for Gudbranson with "WTF".  Why in the world would you think we gave up anything of real value in either of those traded?  Look at the reactions of the Florida side on both accounts.  We won those trades BIG TIME:)

Be happy. 

I am happy.

I agree we won both of these trades big time.

In both cases though, the 'time-will-tell' principle applies.

It's beyond easy to look back at the Luongo trade and laugh into our sleeves. At that moment in history though, Alex Auld looked like he might become a very similar goaltender to how Corey Schneider actually did become, Bryan Allen was a big, first round D-man who was just coming into his own (I always wanted him back) and Bertuzzi was coming off an almost ppg season even with all the baggage - there was every reason to believe at that moment that he could still return to his absolute domination. My point is, there was a tonne of value going the other way, none of which really topped out; and our return did!

Same here, I believe McCann is going to become a heck of a hockey player. And when he does, I think Gudbranson is still going to be the better player.

So, I'm happy.

But time will tell.

19 hours ago, Alflives said:

JB getting Gudbranson (IMHAO) is like when Nonis got Luongo.  This move is the key to our coming years of success.  

Yes!  This guy has that cornerstone feel about him and will set the tone for the physically imposing team that's taking shape here.  He won't be the comedian and pound-for-pound scrapper that Bieksa was, but he'll be way more effective defensively and his equal as a leader and an enforcer.  Offensively he's got a lot of tools that just weren't being used in Florida.  If we can unlock his shot and skating ability as offensive weapons, the analytics will take care of themselves.  I like the pairing with Hutton, who will obviously benefit from Gudbranson's shut-down and crease-clearing expertise.  But Hutton should also bring out Gudbranson's offensive potential.  As the primary puck-mover, Hutton can take the pressure off Gubranson but also create space for him if other teams key on Hutton too much.  I think we're going to see Gudbranson rushing the puck a lot more than he did in Florida and becoming a complete D worthy of his draft pedigree. 

To me a NHL defense needs a little of every thing. We were in a deficit in the physical side of the game so it seems to me what he brings to Vcr is maybe not what other teams are in need of... but Vcr did ...badly! So he has a chance of becoming  a go to guy here. The pairing of Hutton and Gudbranson might become a great pairing in the league

I remember the day following the trade how most media were saying how it was a questionable move by the 'Nucks and that Florida had taken advantage of us...  

Well a lot still remains to be seen; in how McCann does this year and the future draft picks... BUT one thing is for sure - he brings a physical presence NOW to the back end and a leadership aspect to the room which will be needed going forward after the twins leave.

On ‎25‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 8:21 PM, Salacious Crumb said:

Hey Alf. It is a key for sure. JB is slowly changeing the team a piece or 2 at a time.

It's been a loooooong Summer without hockey. Can't wait to see who makes the team this year and how we fare.   

I doubt Rodin does anything other than head home after training camp but at least JB is leaving no stone unturned. 

It's highly unlikely that all of Bennings moves will pan out.  It's also highly unlikely that none of them work out.

I think that since Benning is going after character players, he may very well have a better than average success rate.

Who is to say which players will find success and which ones will not?  Given this new directive to win, how much rope will they give to these new players.  Baertschi for example, was given half a season before he began to turn it around.  Will Rodin and Larsen have the same latitude or if they have difficulty for a month, does Benning go to Utica to give another player a shot?

I think Canucks win the trade in the short term.

Not sure about the long term. No idea how McCann pans out. I am a bit worried that McCann becomes a  25 goal scorer in the long term.  In that case i guess both teams got something.

Canucks got instant compete.  Florida may end up with a future top 6 scorer....

Good D is expensive. We have seen that this summer.

The thing though is that D is how good teams are built out. 

Here's another promising article on the Hutton-Gudbranson pairing.

By McIntyre in The Province: http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/gudbranson-hutton-pairing-even-better-in-real-life

Gudbranson, Hutton pairing even better in real life

WHISTLER – In a four-day training camp that included more than 20 hours of on-ice instruction, the most impressive 10 minutes may have been on Saturday afternoon when Vancouver Canucks assistant coach Doug Lidster ran the defencemen of Group A against one another in a skating competition.

The group’s blue-line was topped by the new pairing of Ben Hutton and Erik Gudbranson, the hulking defenceman acquired from Florida in May to give the Canucks size and toughness and provide some security for the highly skilled Hutton.

Two at a time, defencemen started at opposite faceoff circles, skated backwards from point to point across their circle, backwards to the blue-line, then pivoted and accelerated forward toward a lone puck in the high slot. First defenceman to the puck got a breakaway. The second defenceman felt shame.

Gudbranson, 6-foot-5 and 216 pounds, the tough “stay-at-home” defenceman, went undefeated in the group. Three times he beat the fleet Hutton head to head.

“I saw that,” Hutton, 23, said sheepishly after practice. “Three times. One time I had a little bit of a stumble, but the other two I was thinking he must have been cheating or something. He was bugging me about that. Honestly, I think he’s a great skater for a guy that size.”

Apparently, Gudbranson may not always stay at home, although his primary focus with the puck will be transferring it to Hutton, who for four days here was encouraged by his new partner to, essentially, move his butt.

“It’s all about skating in today’s NHL,” Gudbranson, 24, explained. “You have to be able to move and stay square to the shooter. That comes from your body position, that comes from your hips and your edges. (Hutton’s) a good skater. I just got a couple of jumps on him.”

See what a good teammate Gudbranson will be?

From the day of the trade, May 25, when the Canucks surrendered 19-year-old centre Jared McCann to the Panthers in a package that included a second-round pick in June, Gudbranson has been intended for Hutton.

It just seemed like a sensible match — two young, Ottawa-area defencemen with complementary skill sets.

How does it seem after training camp? Even better.

“He’s my D partner; if anyone’s going to take a run at him, they’re going to have to deal with me,” Gudbranson said. “In that sense, yeah, totally I can help him. I want to get his feet moving and hit him in stride and get him up the ice with the puck as soon as possible. I think we’re going to be a good partnership. We’re both on the same page. We’re both excited to play with each other and grow as a unit.”

This is actually the second time they’ve played together.

At a Kingston Frontenacs’ junior training camp several years ago, they were paired for two days of practices and scrimmages.

“I was just a quiet, young guy and he was showing me the ropes,” Hutton said of his 48 hours in Kingston. “That was cool. That was just something that stuck in the back of my mind as soon as he got traded. Like: ‘Oh, yeah, I’ve played with him before. That’s sweet. Maybe he’ll remember me.’”

Gudbranson soon left Kingston for the National Hockey League as the Panthers’ third-overall draft pick in 2010. He was already starting his fifth season in Florida when Hutton, a fifth-round Canuck pick in 2012, made the NHL last fall straight out of the University of Maine.

“I did remember playing a game with him,” Gudbranson said in Whistler. “I knew he was from down the street (in Ottawa). It’s kind of funny that we end up playing together.”

The Canucks will be elated if Hutton and Gudbranson are effective enough to stay together and play 20-22 minutes a night as the second pairing, which would ease the pressure on the top duo of Alex Edler and Chris Tanev.

Vancouver hasn’t had a big, top-four defenceman who will punish opponents in front of the net since Willie Mitchell was allowed to leave in 2010. Mitchell and another rugged former Canuck, Ed Jovanovski, tutored Gudbranson in Florida.

Gudbranson averaged a career-high 20:06 of ice time last year, even though he had been eclipsed in Florida by 2014 first-overall pick Aaron Ekblad. Hutton averaged 19:52 as a rookie, but was often the Canucks’ best defencemen. Opponents noticed this and targeted Hutton physically in the second half of the season, which at least partly drove the acquisition of Gudbranson.

“By the end of the season, they were coming a little bit harder at me,” Hutton said. “I do think they’re going to be a little more timid if they take a huge run at me knowing that Erik’s right beside me and he’s a big, tough lad.”

It was obvious in Whistler that Gudbranson can do much more than police opponents. Nobody gets chosen third overall in the NHL draft just because he’s tough.

“In Florida, he was being groomed to be a steady, top-pairing guy,” Canuck goalie Ryan Miller said. “When Ekblad came in, that changed the dynamic. We’ve inherited a guy who’s building the foundation to be a top-pairing guy. Defencemen are similar to goaltenders in terms of developing and building a smart game. We’re catching him right in the middle of a pretty good uptick.”

“Everyone’s been talking about this,” Hutton said of the pairing. “But getting to actually skate with him, I’m excited for sure.”

Especially after finishing second.

I don't think you'll be seeing tons of brutal hits

We have a slow first line all over 30 and they'll be retaliated upon if we have guys taking too many liberties. Now I know Henrik has eyes in the back of his head but Daniel doesn't and neither is a speedster. Both are players that play in the dirty area (tough bastards that they are) but it does leave them open to contact.

Don't be surprised if Gud and others are told to knock it off by team leadership if they start the season all elbows and hitting to hurt. Rubbing guys off the puck and thumping your check into the boards are one thing. Trying to make your opponents piss blood? That's a whole other and you need a team of more than a couple of guys with a 180 pound enforcer to pull that off.

Expect Gud to take his man and clear the net as his job this season. (both things needed)

On 2016-09-25 at 9:12 AM, Stamkos said:

I was always excited for him because I know the leadership qualities  he brings and the way plays. There is something about his style that's captivating. He will be a great player. Nobody can replace Bieksa but he is gonna be great fun to watch.

The way Bieksa jumped Ferland from behind, no one can replace that!! Sure, it bought him a ticket out of town but it was worth it.

On 27/09/2016 at 5:16 AM, mll said:

Here's another promising article on the Hutton-Gudbranson pairing.

By McIntyre in The Province: http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/gudbranson-hutton-pairing-even-better-in-real-life

Gudbranson, Hutton pairing even better in real life

WHISTLER – In a four-day training camp that included more than 20 hours of on-ice instruction, the most impressive 10 minutes may have been on Saturday afternoon when Vancouver Canucks assistant coach Doug Lidster ran the defencemen of Group A against one another in a skating competition.

The group’s blue-line was topped by the new pairing of Ben Hutton and Erik Gudbranson, the hulking defenceman acquired from Florida in May to give the Canucks size and toughness and provide some security for the highly skilled Hutton.

Two at a time, defencemen started at opposite faceoff circles, skated backwards from point to point across their circle, backwards to the blue-line, then pivoted and accelerated forward toward a lone puck in the high slot. First defenceman to the puck got a breakaway. The second defenceman felt shame.

Gudbranson, 6-foot-5 and 216 pounds, the tough “stay-at-home” defenceman, went undefeated in the group. Three times he beat the fleet Hutton head to head.

“I saw that,” Hutton, 23, said sheepishly after practice. “Three times. One time I had a little bit of a stumble, but the other two I was thinking he must have been cheating or something. He was bugging me about that. Honestly, I think he’s a great skater for a guy that size.”

Apparently, Gudbranson may not always stay at home, although his primary focus with the puck will be transferring it to Hutton, who for four days here was encouraged by his new partner to, essentially, move his butt.

“It’s all about skating in today’s NHL,” Gudbranson, 24, explained. “You have to be able to move and stay square to the shooter. That comes from your body position, that comes from your hips and your edges. (Hutton’s) a good skater. I just got a couple of jumps on him.”

See what a good teammate Gudbranson will be?

From the day of the trade, May 25, when the Canucks surrendered 19-year-old centre Jared McCann to the Panthers in a package that included a second-round pick in June, Gudbranson has been intended for Hutton.

It just seemed like a sensible match — two young, Ottawa-area defencemen with complementary skill sets.

How does it seem after training camp? Even better.

“He’s my D partner; if anyone’s going to take a run at him, they’re going to have to deal with me,” Gudbranson said. “In that sense, yeah, totally I can help him. I want to get his feet moving and hit him in stride and get him up the ice with the puck as soon as possible. I think we’re going to be a good partnership. We’re both on the same page. We’re both excited to play with each other and grow as a unit.”

This is actually the second time they’ve played together.

At a Kingston Frontenacs’ junior training camp several years ago, they were paired for two days of practices and scrimmages.

“I was just a quiet, young guy and he was showing me the ropes,” Hutton said of his 48 hours in Kingston. “That was cool. That was just something that stuck in the back of my mind as soon as he got traded. Like: ‘Oh, yeah, I’ve played with him before. That’s sweet. Maybe he’ll remember me.’”

Gudbranson soon left Kingston for the National Hockey League as the Panthers’ third-overall draft pick in 2010. He was already starting his fifth season in Florida when Hutton, a fifth-round Canuck pick in 2012, made the NHL last fall straight out of the University of Maine.

“I did remember playing a game with him,” Gudbranson said in Whistler. “I knew he was from down the street (in Ottawa). It’s kind of funny that we end up playing together.”

The Canucks will be elated if Hutton and Gudbranson are effective enough to stay together and play 20-22 minutes a night as the second pairing, which would ease the pressure on the top duo of Alex Edler and Chris Tanev.

Vancouver hasn’t had a big, top-four defenceman who will punish opponents in front of the net since Willie Mitchell was allowed to leave in 2010. Mitchell and another rugged former Canuck, Ed Jovanovski, tutored Gudbranson in Florida.

Gudbranson averaged a career-high 20:06 of ice time last year, even though he had been eclipsed in Florida by 2014 first-overall pick Aaron Ekblad. Hutton averaged 19:52 as a rookie, but was often the Canucks’ best defencemen. Opponents noticed this and targeted Hutton physically in the second half of the season, which at least partly drove the acquisition of Gudbranson.

“By the end of the season, they were coming a little bit harder at me,” Hutton said. “I do think they’re going to be a little more timid if they take a huge run at me knowing that Erik’s right beside me and he’s a big, tough lad.”

It was obvious in Whistler that Gudbranson can do much more than police opponents. Nobody gets chosen third overall in the NHL draft just because he’s tough.

“In Florida, he was being groomed to be a steady, top-pairing guy,” Canuck goalie Ryan Miller said. “When Ekblad came in, that changed the dynamic. We’ve inherited a guy who’s building the foundation to be a top-pairing guy. Defencemen are similar to goaltenders in terms of developing and building a smart game. We’re catching him right in the middle of a pretty good uptick.”

“Everyone’s been talking about this,” Hutton said of the pairing. “But getting to actually skate with him, I’m excited for sure.”

Especially after finishing second.

Thanks for sharing this. I really think this trade is going to be huge for us long term. I think mccann will be good as well. Both teams will benifit. 

Archived