Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Opening Roster - Finalized


Ossi Vaananen

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, stawns said:

 

as they were saying last night........had stecher been in this position last year, sure.  This year, with this d corp rebuilt, it's doubtful.  I agree and some time in utica isn't going to do him any harm

So far he's outplayed any other options for that offensive/PP/6th D slot. If he can keep that up, he gets the spot. All the rest is just noise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

 

 

If Stetcher can keep this up and bet 2016's Hutton, we may be forced to move Sbisa sooner than anticipated to not lose depth on waivers.

 

Edler, Stetcher

Hutton, Gudbranson

Tryamkin, Tanev

 

Pedan, Larsen

 

That could mean Stetcher starts in Utica until we can move Sbisa though, even if he earns a spot.

You have Stecher on the 1st line d-pairing after one preseason game? and Tanev on the 3rd. Stecher looks like a keeper but lets see how he does when games mean something.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, J.R. said:

We don't really have a Tanev replacement yet, so I'd wager not him. That said, he's likely go a long way to returning a top 6 forward whereas Sbisa would not.

 

37 minutes ago, 3KBieksa said:

I feel like its too early to trade Tanev, he was our best dman last year and he provides some smooth defensive work.  We still need him as this season would be a uphill challenge and I want him for the grind. 

 

Sbisa on the other hand, I just don't think he has the defensive abilities to make the top 4 and he can be replaced by Larsen and maybe even Pedan.  And he is not even playing on the World cup final over Ehrhoff 

Will Stecher, in time, be a better partner for Edler than Tavev is?  I see Stecher as relieving the pressure on Edler to carry the offence of the pair.  Edler can play more like he used to, when with Salo, or Erhoff.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, ice orca said:

You have Stecher on the 1st line d-pairing after one preseason game? and Tanev on the 3rd. Stecher looks like a keeper but lets see how he does when games mean something.

Oh I'm by no means assuming anything, just stating what could happen if he keeps this up.

 

And in that lineup there isn't really a 1st, 2nd or 3rd pairing. They'd all see roughly equal time depending on PP and PK time. Tryamkin/Tanev would be primarily shut down, the other two pairs 2way/offense.

 

If it makes you feel better:

 

Hutton, Gudbranson

Tryamkin, Tanev

Edler, Stetcher

 

Roll the pairs ::D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, J.R. said:

Oh I'm by no means assuming anything, just stating what could happen if he keeps this up.

 

And in that lineup there isn't really a 1st, 2nd or 3rd pairing. They'd all see roughly equal time depending on PP and PK time. Tryamkin/Tanev would be primarily shut down, the other two pairs 2way/offense.

 

If it makes you feel better:

 

Hutton, Gudbranson

Tryamkin, Tanev

Edler, Stetcher

Keep trying Tanev-Edler will be the 1st line pairing until someone seriously knocks them off or injuries happen. You are all over the place with your pairings..i guess it makes you feel better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/roster-reduced/c-282241060

Quote

Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the Canucks have reduced their pre-season roster by two players. The moves bring the club's current roster to 42 players.

The following player has been assigned to the Utica Comets:
 
Michael Carcone              Forward                                                     

The following player will attend the Utica Comets Training Camp:

Alexis D'Aoust                Forward

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ice orca said:

Keep trying Tanev-Edler will be the 1st line pairing until someone seriously knocks them off or injuries happen. You are all over the place with your pairings..i guess it makes you feel better.

 

Edler's been in need of an offensive D partner for years now. If we finally have one for him again, there's no way they don't try it. Unless you think they paired him with Stetcher purely for poops and giggles...? Clearly they wanted to get a look and that pair gave them an eye full last night.

 

Not all over the place at all, just swapped their order as the order really doesn't matter. Fits right in with WD's philosophy of rolling lines/pairs as well ;)

 

Hutton last year taught me not to be presumptuous about who makes teams and what pairs look like.

 

By all means though, Stetcher's got an uphill battle to keep this up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Ossi Vaananen said:

Not a fan of cutting Carcone after he worked his ass off last night. 8 hits in 9 mins of ice time, and he's undersized? He deserved better. 

 

They're clearly not dicking around. You get a quick look to see where you're at and let you know where you need to improve but if you're not in realistic consideration...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, J.R. said:

 

They're clearly not dicking around. You get a quick look to see where you're at and let you know where you need to improve but if you're not in realistic consideration...

 

At this point, games are earned. I think Carcone earned another game with how he played last night. Guys like Sheppard and D'Aoust were on the contrary, quite terrible and should be cut. Narrow out the roster game by game, don't let their namesake or lack thereof determine if they make the roster or not. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Ossi Vaananen said:

 

At this point, games are earned. I think Carcone earned another game with how he played last night. Guys like Sheppard and D'Aoust were on the contrary, quite terrible and should be cut. Narrow out the roster game by game, don't let their namesake or lack thereof determine if they make the roster or not. 

Nothing to do with namesake. Neither guy was earning an NHL gig. They're simply getting down to brass tacks.

 

This is not the Kumbaya hockey league, we fore once have actual depth and REAL competition. Time for the big boy pants for both players and CDC members.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Not a fan of cutting Carcone after he worked his ass off last night. 8 hits in 9 mins of ice time, and he's undersized? He deserved better. 

 

He's already had a pretty successful preseason going from an undrafted player to winning an AHL contract. If he continues his trajectory by excelling for the Comets and getting a couple of call-up games this season it's win-win for both parties. As impressive as he's been it's one-way contracts that usually make these decisions- I wouldn't be surprised to see Stecher start in the A for the same reason.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

 

And there we have it.

You look at Jordan and see PK -  that way, madness lies I'm afraid.

 

The NHL is and has been littered with players who have been unable to emulate to any degree the play of their gifted sibling/s. I'm not saying he may not prove to be a fine player in his own right but as of now there is no real resemblance. You have to walk the walk first before talking the talk and that is maybe where Jordan is not quite on the same page as his coaches.

 

 

I was comparing their personalities, not their play or accomplishments. That being said, if you're one of the top defenseman on the farm, it should earn you more than one preseason game. This talk about his lack of defensive coverage is blown out proportion. I've watched him as much as I can, and he makes lots of smart plays in his own end and the neutral zone. Yes, he's short, but size matters less and less in todays game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Frail Granny said:

I was comparing their personalities, not their play or accomplishments. That being said, if you're one of the top defenseman on the farm, it should earn you more than one preseason game. This talk about his lack of defensive coverage is blown out proportion. I've watched him as much as I can, and he makes lots of smart plays in his own end and the neutral zone. Yes, he's short, but size matters less and less in todays game. 

 

Its apparent that the staff doesn't see him as one of the top d prospects.  Wd mentioned practice structure when commenting on subbans cut.  So there is much "we" don't see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why is anyone surprised about Subban? we have a logjam on D for our bottom pairing right now.

Try. Sbisa. Pedan, Larsen, and the emergence of Stetcher all battling it out. Subban would not have even got a fair look compared to these guys so let him be the man in Utica for another season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/28/2016 at 10:50 AM, Ossi Vaananen said:

Ya, he was 3rd in ice time, all situations. All the Rhetoric from management this week of him being a likely call-up and he's discarded after the first game. Brutal. 

 

 

Another week I believe. 

They're such meanies.  They obviously don't want to make you happy.  I guess that's stupid ownership trying to win.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

They're such meanies.  They obviously don't want to make you happy.  I guess that's stupid ownership trying to win.

well, it is part of their job to appease the fan base, isn't it?  Now was JB being completely honest when he mentioned guys earning spots will get them?  Carcone absolutely earned more time up here.  He's clearly outplayed Etem (for example).  Yet Etem continues on the team.  What message does this move send to the fans?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...