The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Opening Roster - Finalized

Ossi Vaananen

6 hours ago, nzan said:

I'll disagree on that.

He's had one season in the A, there is tonnes of time for him to continue developing into an NHL'er.

He'll definitely play games in the NHL (how many are up to him I suppose) and he's got no real trade value yet, so I'll bet he'll play in a Canucks uni.

It's politics. Nothing else. He outplayed Larsen noticeably, but still got the shaft. Merit takes a distant backseat to money yet again. 

6 hours ago, ajhockey said:

Subban already? Give me a break. Last year, he didn't get any pre-season games in and this year he only gets one? I feel like he's getting the short end of the stick.

Maybe those who evaluate talent for a living paid for by the organization see something different than you do on your radio.

Subban had a pretty good game last night, so it does surprise me they didn't give him one more go. The telling tale for Subban with the Canucks is how well Stecher does tonight, and the rest of the camp. If he get's the nod from management IE taking care of business in his own end while providing some O , then I hate to say it,  but Subban's days are numbered.

That been said I think he will get some NHL time, just not with yours truly.

1 hour ago, JamesB said:

These three posts capture what  i think is important.

First, there is no room for Subban on the team. Obviously the top 4 is solid: Edler, Tanev, Guddy and Hutton. Then the Canucks are committed to giving Larsen a good look. And they pretty much have to keep Tryamkin and Pedan for waiver reasons, and because based on their play so far they deserve to be there. And Sbisa will be on the team.

And there is still Biega and Stecher who are both clearly ahead of Subban on the depth chart and are both right hand shots. So i have Subban at #11 on the depth chart (and that is not counting Juolevi who is obviously a much better prospect but who will go back to Junior). Subban will have to show a lot in Utica  to move up the depth chart but he has a shot a playing some games for the Canucks this depending on injuries, possible trades, and his own performance.

Nothing wrong with a D spending two years in the AHL.

This. For someone coming out of the NCAA, Stecher has a more refined game than Subban. Maybe the offense isn't there, but in the prospects tournament he looked just as good as Subban offensively with better positioning in the defensive end. 

Biega, another smaller right-handed defenseman, did really well last year all things considered. 

I would have hoped to see more preseason games for Subban, but when you think about it preseason games need to be given to guys like Stecher and Larsen and Biega and Tryamkin and Pedan and Juolevi as well, in addition to the vets because they need a few games too.

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

probably best for Cassels to go down to Utica and prepare for the season down there. he wasn't going to make it here this year anyways. but Cassels will get his chance one day at shutting down McDavid i'm sure. 

Don't disagree with what you're saying but certainly disagree. Carry on.

41 minutes ago, nuck-lifer said:

Subban had a pretty good game last night, so it does surprise me they didn't give him one more go. The telling tale for Subban with the Canucks is how well Stecher does tonight, and the rest of the camp. If he get's the nod from management IE taking care of business in his own end while providing some O , then I hate to say it,  but Subban's days are numbered.

That been said I think he will get some NHL time, just not with yours truly.

Are there any ex medicine hat tigers on Nashville? 

I think part of the disconnect/disappointment with how training camp is run is because people became accustomed to Gillis' management's system of slow rounds of elimination cuts. Benning's group seems to be more organized and planning with groups already on set trajectories, ie. unless someone completely knocks the roof off with their play they get them off to Utica/wherever they're destined. Last year Hutton was a bit of an unkown, this year it could be Stetcher. Guys like Subban & Cassels have been in the fold for awhile and have a course already charted and laid out for them.

Plus the D is basically 9 guys duking it out over 8 spots, as expected. There's only really room for a surprise upset at forward and it's likely just between Gaunce, Zalewski and the PTOs (maybe, maybe Grenier or Rendulic?).

Also a lot of people act like pre-season is the only chance to see these guys. Stream some Utica games!

4 hours ago, Dynamic Innovator said:

Subban is only 21!  As Boudrias says his going into only his 2nd pro season!  It's not the end of the world!  I believe he will play well in Utica and benefit big time from top pairing ice time.

All the garbage spewing out like "he is done, never play a game for Vancouver, treated unfairly, needs to have multiple games" blah blah is gross over reaction. 

I'm about to use the worst CDC phrase of all time - this is effective "asset management".  (just threw up a little in my mouth)  He is not in the top eight, he can clear waivers, and he will benefit enormously from another year under Travis Green. 

If he's not going to beat out Sbisa, Larsen, Pedan, Tryamkin, Edler, Tanev, Hutton and Gudbranson don't waste time and get him to Utica.

Go for it Jordan!  We are pulling for you!!

This! I wonder if Green would consider trying him as a forward?

What I wonder when I look at a player like subban is with the talent he has what is he doing as a defensman?

Did he think he was going to be big and then by the time he figured out he was small it was to late to switch? 

Really? Is it to late for him to try to play wing? It's been done before I just can't recall who. 

Just noticed your post hairy. Plussed you. 

7 hours ago, J.R. said:

Goodness with the Subban whining. He's a talented offensive D who needs a LOT more development time learning to play in his own end and against men. There's nothing wrong with him being sent down to get that development time you bunch of emos... :rolleyes:

I think you could lock the topic of Subban on this statement. 

I think he was frustrating to watch for management in Penticton, and then he showed up last night making the same mistakes. Thats a bit disappointing, and man the leash is going to be short for all players who don't make improvements, and make them fast. At least thats the message I got. 

Make assumptions and jump to conclusions. CDC's specialty. Subban is not done!! I think it's worthwhile to note that Stecher is almost a full year older than Subban. There's nothing wrong with having depth. Niether Stecher, nor Subban are locks and will still have to develop their games to an NHL level. They then have to earn their ice-time and keep on earning it. Basically it is more internal competition to push players to be their very best. I think that that's a good thing. Don't Martha Stewart me!!

1 hour ago, The Bookie said:

I think part of the disconnect/disappointment with how training camp is run is because people became accustomed to Gillis' management's system of slow rounds of elimination cuts. Benning's group seems to be more organized and planning with groups already on set trajectories, ie. unless someone completely knocks the roof off with their play they get them off to Utica/wherever they're destined. Last year Hutton was a bit of an unkown, this year it could be Stetcher. Guys like Subban & Cassels have been in the fold for awhile and have a course already charted and laid out for them.

Yup, and it's become clear that they are serious about winning out of the gate.  Willie says he expects the last three preseason games to be pretty much full-bore.

Does anyone seriously think Subban, at this current stage, has a remote shot of being on the Canucks this year, or any other NHL team for this matter? He's not even close so why drag it out? Send him down and have him prepare for Utica training camp and then look at other D-combos. I don't understand why this is so hard to swallow?

Let me try this on you, like Mathew McConaughey did during his closing statements in the movie 'A time to kill'. Close your eyes, imagine a 5-8'', 180lbs D-man, constantly reading the game wrong and have poor defensive coverage and overpowered. Now picture his last name is Smith...

9 hours ago, nzan said:

not owch in my opinion.

there was no real chance they were going to make the club, get them on their team and get them rolling as far as I'm concerned.

and Utica needs them.

On another note, Stecher looking real good tonight! Wonder if he can keep playing the way he is tonight and force their hand. 

Archived